Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
First time tire shop lifted by differential, I saw what they did, but didn’t connect the dots as to why it started leaking and leaving a spot on the garage floor. Second time about a year later, saw them do it again, noticed the leak much quicker, but it wasn’t worth the hassle of the “he said, she said” to have them pay for the repairs. From that point on, anyone jacking the rear of the truck was told not to jack using the differential. Never had it leak again. That has just carried through to all the trucks from then on, no jacking by the differential.
Lynette was the leak at the cover on the pumpkin or the input shaft?
My question is did they bend the cover or put a strain on the input shaft seal.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:13 AM   #22
BillMc

I have a 45 Ft Fifthwheel and always carry a 4 Ton floor jack with me. It works great. I once had an issue and had to lower the landing gear on the trailer. But only once.
BillMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #23
lonewolftx

Want to see a blowout. . .

2 weeks ago coming back from a 3 week trip thru NM we had a frt RT tire blow out going 65ish in the right lane on my 2016 F350 SD dually. Full 43’ 5th wheel on the back. Scared my dear wife to death. The factory yellow bottle jack worked like champ on the frt axel and was able to change out the spare so we could continue the final 30 miles to the barn. Thankfully it was on the right side as the left was only 8” front the white I-10 shoulder line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88223330-095F-4A33-B732-15B55D9D55A5.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	23614   Click image for larger version

Name:	30EF48E1-A6C0-45EB-9C2B-C45ED08FF6D7.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	23615   Click image for larger version

Name:	2DE63226-F63B-4FCC-BFAE-E7A39631CEDD.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	23616   Click image for larger version

Name:	F362F924-4FCB-4545-BD9B-99570D6106FC.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	23617  
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #24
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Lynette was the leak at the cover on the pumpkin or the input shaft?
My question is did they bend the cover or put a strain on the input shaft seal.
I honestly don’t remember anymore for sure. I *think* it was the cover. And not that the cover was bent, but that it was the gasket between the cover and the housing? But, again, I’m not remembering for sure.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I'm wondering if the leak on the diff cover came from a compromised seal with the diff cover gasket? Used to be that you always put a premade "gasket" on the diff cover before replacing. Depending on how the jack was placed under the housing I can see it putting enough stress on the bottom of the cover to slightly shift the cover and cause a leak with the premade gasket. Nowadays everyone uses a tube of RTV silicone or the like and just slathers it all over. Sometimes looks junky but it does flex and move better than having a "gasket" that is simply "pressed" into place by the tightness of the cover bolts.

On the other hand...I'm not generally a fan of the RTV stuff. Ordered a rebuilt engine for my CJ7 (the old one could not be bored again) and let a local shop put the engine in the Jeep. It was a long block so required the peripherals on the engine to be placed. They LOVED RTV sealants and put it EVERYWHERE. Unfortunately they didn't know what they were doing. Put it on the valve cover, oil pan etc. Could not make the engine stop smoking so finally decided to start dismantling to see why. As soon as I pulled the valve cover I was sick. All the black RTV sealant they had put under the valve cover (LOTS) had melted and ran into the rockers and valves, right down into the push rods. It was like the entire top end was covered in black, burned, elastic glue. Raised the engine and dropped the pan; the oil felt like it was full of fine grit from the burned sealant; the pump and crank had the same "goo" all over them. Sick and mad. Ended up taking down the engine and cleaning it all up, replacing the rings and honing the cylinders - valves were OK. Now she doesn't smoke or use oil and all cylinders are within specs. The shop that did the work? Denied it all even when I showed them the pictures - I even brought the head, rockers etc. to the machine shop behind his shop for cleanup and checking (not his machine shop). I just dropped it because it wasn't worth the effort and I could do it, and do it better I'm sure after witnessing their first attempt. Anyway, watch out with the RTV and make sure you use the correct product for your application.

I'm just wondering if the original problems with the leaking cover might not have been with the older gaskets typically used prior to all the RTV stuff.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #26
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Those are some interesting points about lifting from the differential, I had not heard that before.

If a tire shop was causing a differential to leak by lifting it with a floor jack, wouldn’t they be liable to fix the leak?

Regarding lifting with a bottle jack and following the Ford manual. Of course the manual is going to say to lift with a bottle jack because that is what they include with the truck. But if a bottle jack were better than a floor jack, mechanic and tire shops would use bottle jacks. I have never seen a shop use a bottle jack. YMMV
Floor jacks are for Speed on a flat, hard, stable surfaces. Not for mud and sludge and gravel. You can use a hardboard to stabilize it, so long as it is wider than the wheels on the jack. Just remember that anything too tall becomes unstable.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #27
skmct

Remember most floor jacks must roll forward while lifting. I learned that the hard way once.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #28
Local150

You are no way going to hurt anything by jacking on the differential. Every mechanic that had put one on Jack stands has jacked from there
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #29
WDPatterson

It's always better to just err to the side of caution and put your jack pad directly underneath the axle tube as close to the springs as you can get.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #30
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
You are no way going to hurt anything by jacking on the differential. Every mechanic that had put one on Jack stands has jacked from there
That’s good to know. Too bad our old Dodge doesn’t agree with you.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:32 AM   #31
bustersdaddy

When we came from Crossville,TN to Albany,NY we had 2 blowouts.We had purchased a 12 ton low profile bottle jack from Harbor frieght, was the best purchase ever, the shaft screws up for more height. It is very scary changing a tire on the interstate.
bustersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote