Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
KSH

Spare tire carrier

Putting new wheels and tires on my rv, which means a new spare, should i be concerned about the weight difference from the old to the new? Springdale 240bhwe it's currently sitting above, mounted to the rear bumper. I am going from stock to a 15x6 and up the a 225 from a 205. Not sure what the weight difference is yet, waiting for the wheels to ship.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
KSH

Maybe i should have posted in the tire thread?
Old 06-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think, just my opinion, that many people shy away from hanging anything from the rear bumper. Several members have reported damage to their spare tire carrier, to the spare tire or to the bumper from either scraping the road/ground with the part that hangs under the bumper or they have reported damage to the bumper from the weight of the spare tire and carrier "bouncing" on the rear bumper, causing the bumper welds to fail.

Can you use the bumper to support a heavier tire/carrier? Yes, you can.

Should you use the bumper to support a heavier tire/carrier? The jury is still out on that question...... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
66joej

Not so much concern about weight but that "rocking" motion back there on the bumper/hose holder. Go with a BAL Hide-a-spare. I upgraded to heavier tires 225/75r15 LRE and have a BAL coming from Amazon.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
Carrottop

Slightly unrelated but my new Passport 2810 came with the spare on the rear bumper should I be concerned with this and just carry the trailers spare in the back of the truck?
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
Slightly unrelated but my new Passport 2810 came with the spare on the rear bumper should I be concerned with this and just carry the trailers spare in the back of the truck?

I used mine for 2.5 years on my 2810 without an issue. I did consider replacing the pin with a nut and bolt. That would stop the wiggle of that particular mount.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
fjr vfr

Your talking a minuscule difference in weight going up one size. I wouldn't worry.
Like 66joej said it's the rocking motion going over rouge roads and dips that is the worry. Make sure the tire carrier is rigidly attached so there is only a little movement at most.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Number 4

I've never had an issue with a bumper mounted spare tire rack but I'll be regularly checking for stress cracks and loose fittings. The previous owner bolted a class III receiver hitch to the square tube bumper. Now there's an accident waiting to happen... bicycles and carrier plowing into the unlucky driver behind me. Now that I'm thinking about it, that thing is coming off!

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #9
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Your talking a minuscule difference in weight going up one size. I wouldn't worry.
Like 66joej said it's the rocking motion going over rouge roads and dips that is the worry. Make sure the tire carrier is rigidly attached so there is only a little movement at most.
No movement. New tire and new wheel feel a good deal heavier. I'll weigh them to see what the difference is.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:25 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

A couple of pounds won't matter. Have a bumper mounted spare and only issue I've experienced is the nut holding the spare on will loosen occasionally. I remove the cover every couple weeks to check air pressure and retighten the mounting nut. Have a TPMS BUT couldn't justify cost for another TPMS sensor and feared that if I did I'd get a false sense of confidence that all was well and not check the faster.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
anthonbloom

I had a bumper mount spare on my 2012 318 SAB 5th wheel and it torqued the bumper so that the frame mounts pushed through and trapped my sewer pipe. I moved the mount to between the legs using 1.75 square stock resting on the frame rails in the front compartment, a square plate resting on the square stock and a modified tongue jack carrying the tire. 3/4 inch socket on my impact wrench and she winds the tire up and down easily. i've got 15,000 miles on it, used it 3 times and no problem.
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Putting new wheels and tires on my rv, which means a new spare, should i be concerned about the weight difference from the old to the new? Springdale 240bhwe it's currently sitting above, mounted to the rear bumper. I am going from stock to a 15x6 and up the a 225 from a 205. Not sure what the weight difference is yet, waiting for the wheels to ship.
Sorry this is so late - must have missed it. You probably don't need to be concerned about the weight IMO. My spare is bumper mounted and the bumper on mine is solid as a rock. I have seen others where that wasn't the case. The first trailer I owned almost 40 years ago....I would definitely have worried. And, on mine or any other trailer I would worry about a LOT of weight (100+ lbs).

I think you need to make sure that you have a rock solid mounting bracket. My bracket doesn't move when I hit it with a sledge (2 lb.). Why would I hit it with a sledge? Because I seem to find gas stations with steep ramps that I don't see. I have dragged the bottom of the spare twice now when entering/exiting fuel stops that have sudden elevation changes that I didn't/couldn't see. Both situations resulted in the spare sitting at about a 45 degree angle to the ground instead of perpendicular. It's bent a couple of the mounting pieces on the bracket (hence the small sledge) but the bracket and bumper haven't been fazed.

On the other hand......I am always trying to not only assess fuel pump access and an exit but now trying to determine what kind of grade the entry/exit points have. It's sometimes hard to tell all that as you drive down a street preparing to pull into a location. That said, the BAL carrier 66joej referred to looks interesting. I like my spare on the back; it's easy to access and a good location for removing the spare. The BAL looks like you would be working on the ground.

Make sure you have a very solid foundation for your spare; bumper (no wiggle, flex etc. All mounts properly torqued) and mounting bracket (bolts securing the mounting plate properly torqued, no play/flex) and then pick whatever method seems best to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote