Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
SummitPond

Refrigerator pilot light question while refueling

Another thread on the Refrigerator Mod started by EdB got me thinking (dangerous, I know).

While we are driving we do use the LP to keep the fridge cool. When refueling the TV (gasoline) I always try to situate the trailer as far from the pumps as possible, using an outside lane so there's not another pump close to the trailer. Almost as soon as we park either the DW or I enter the TT to turn off the fridge temporarily. Then, after refueling and just before we depart the gas station, one of us goes back into the TT to turn the fridge back on gas.

Question: Is this exercise really necessary?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Necessary? Maybe not, but not a bad idea. I would say if your going to continue the practice, do it BEFORE and AFTER you enter/leave the fuel station. I'm sure there is a placard on the pump that says no open flame within 25 feet. The flame on your refer is behind at least 2 separate shields so the chance of going boom is minimal. Gas LIQUID will not burn, its the VAPORS that will ignite and they can linger and drift.

Your going to get answers on both sides, so get ready for a lot of responses.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In today's "modern RV refrigerators" there is no "standing pilot light". The control circuits either "light the flame" or "turn the flame off" depending on the need to heat the ammonia system.

That said, there's a possibility that the control circuit will call for "ammonia heating" while you're refueling. This would "ignite the propane flame" and "COULD" (never say never) cause any gasoline fumes that had accumulated to ignite. How prevalent is the danger or how frequently does a camper "burn to the ground at a gas pump" ??? I haven't read about a problem in at least 15 years. But I have seen pictures posted on this forum of someone pumping gasoline into an open bucket while smoking a cigarette..... That's (in my opinion) far more dangerous than an RV refrigerator in operation during refueling.

I always tow with the refrigerator operational. When I was towing with a gas truck, I'd pull up to the pump closest to the road, putting the trailer away from any adjacent pumps, refuel and then, if possible, pull away without towing through the pump lanes. If refueling this way, I never felt the trailer was close enough to any pump where fumes could accumulate for there to be any danger.

If I did have to "tow into the middle of pumps" to refuel, I would turn the refrigerator off before even entering the pump line. But, I seldom had that kind of situation.

I suppose I'd "compare it to smoking" would you put out the cigarette before walking up to the pump or would you walk up to the pump, throw it on the ground and step on it? And, if you were standing 25-30 feet away from the pump, would you even be concerned about your cigarette? If your refrigerator is "that far away", I wouldn't consider it a danger.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have always towed with my fridge on. On this unit my fridge is on the passenger side toward the rear of the trailer so it is far away from any pump and I always try to use the end pumps. As has been said, you will get responses both ways but I guess it boils down to whatever you're comfortable with.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:04 AM   #5
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
... do it BEFORE and AFTER you enter/leave the fuel station. ...
I'll try this approach rather than waiting until I'm in the refueling lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
... When I was towing with a gas truck, I'd pull up to the pump closest to the road, putting the trailer away from any adjacent pumps, refuel and then, if possible, pull away without towing through the pump lanes. ...
I guess I didn't explain it as well as John; this is what I try to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
... On this unit my fridge is on the passenger side toward the rear of the trailer so it is far away from any pump and I always try to use the end pumps. ...
Yes, ours is also on the passenger side, which makes things a little less uncomfortable wrt placement of the trailer.

Thank you all. As suggested, I will start to turn off the fridge before we enter the lane.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:44 AM   #6
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

If there were enough gas fumes in the immediate area to ignite, everyone would be passed out on the ground.

I'm not suggesting that anyone ignore their safety comfort zone, but it takes a lot more gas fumes than you might think in order to ignite.

The second fumes escape from a hose or tank, it starts to diffuse immediately... and loses its ability to ignite very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
jsmith948

Murphy's Rule...(Murphy was an optimist):

If there is ANY chance that something can go wrong...
It WILL...
At the worst possible time.

Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Murphy's Rule...(Murphy was an optimist):

If there is ANY chance that something can go wrong...
It WILL...
At the worst possible time.

Just sayin'
Well, I'm overdue for blowing myself up at the gas/diesel station.

I burn stuff in a burn barrel with little assist from old gas. Surprising how close the flame has to be to ignite the sprinkling of gas. Same-same when camping with the airplane and 100 octane avgas dubbing for Boy Scout fire starter fluid.

Kalifornia, and probably a few other states, have hoses at the gas pump that capture fumes when refueling. I don't see explosions, even here in NV without those fancy hoses, due to fumes being ignited by irresponsible RV owners with their fridges on propane.

Hopefully, whomever stops short of the pumps to turn off their fridge before fueling won't be blocking my access to the pumps while I'm blocking other's in the street. Thank you very much...

Reminds me of the guy who is so helpful that he gets in your way.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Tinner12002

I've never shut frig off for anything when traveling, even when at the gas station.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Well, I'm overdue for blowing myself up at the gas/diesel station.

I burn stuff in a burn barrel with little assist from old gas. Surprising how close the flame has to be to ignite the sprinkling of gas. Same-same when camping with the airplane and 100 octane avgas dubbing for Boy Scout fire starter fluid.

Kalifornia, and probably a few other states, have hoses at the gas pump that capture fumes when refueling. I don't see explosions, even here in NV without those fancy hoses, due to fumes being ignited by irresponsible RV owners with their fridges on propane.

Hopefully, whomever stops short of the pumps to turn off their fridge before fueling won't be blocking my access to the pumps while I'm blocking other's in the street. Thank you very much...

Reminds me of the guy who is so helpful that he gets in your way.

FWIW, the only time we shut our refer off is when, in order to get diesel, we have to pull up to the forward pumps, which puts the refer right next to the other gas pumps. I agree, it isn't that big of a deal

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, light