Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
first time 5er

What are Reseverations For?

Have you ever made a reservation well in advance for a particular site only to be told when you get there "Sorry but someone else is in it."
Let me explain, last February i reserved a site at ***** suckle meadows rv park in Wears valley for labor day week. The wife and i love the area and the park website features these huge sites with great views. i made the call and after 15 minutes or so decided on site 23. I received an e-mail confirming the reservation and a 1 night charge to hold it.
Well that didn't mean much. I had to take a site that i would have never agreed too because its labor day weekend, i just drove 700 miles and nothing in the area had anything open. needless to say we left early and will never return.

They never even offered a discount or even an apology. Just a dumb look and silence.

Is this business as usual? I usually camp at state and federal campgrounds

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I've never had that experience so I wouldn't say it's notmsl, st least not for me and mine. OMMV (others milage may vary)

I usually check reviews on Google and other sites to seek out potential customer service issues and avoid the reported problems.

If I was in your shoes and had expected a certain site that I had a reservation confirmed for I would have spoken with someone. Somewhere there was a screw up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 09-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

We have never had that issue either. When we went to Oregon for the Eclipse I made reservations weeks in advance. Kept the confirmation email on my phone. Monday night after eclipse arrived to find campers being turned away, got to the counter and they said I was good to go. Wednesday we stayed in Canyonville and again pulled up to a "full" sign. Showed them my confirmation and again I was good to go.

I am willing to bet there was a mistake on the Parks end, and I would have pushed for the space I reserved. It's over and done now but maybe a letter to the park explaining your issue and unsatisfactory solution at the time might get you some better results.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
dcg9381

In private parks, they should be able to do something about it.

In public parks around here, the $11/hr park official isn't going to engage in a war with a "squatter" to get you your RV space. And around here there ARE people that are professional spot squatters (free water and power). If they have an RV, to get them out - a call to law enforcement is necessary and then a call to a tow company capable of moving their stuff is required also.

The only contingency I can think of here is that some campgrounds need you there by 4pm or so, otherwise they'll re-sell the reservation.

Private places that pull this, resolve via providing negative reviews... They'll get the message eventually.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
first time 5er

took care of the review part. check tripadviser.com
i guess the smokey mountains are so popular they don't care.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I've had that happen once in Vicksburg, MS. It wasn't a big deal though because they had lots of vacancies and I still ended up within 30-40' of where I wanted. The rest of the time my reservations have always been honored and, like others that posted, I've arrived to full campgrounds but my space was there. Now, most of the time I don't request a specific spot. I do in Vicksburg and where I spend the winter but other than that I tell them the "kind" of site I want but not a number.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
CWSWine

We were called about week before we were suppose to sign in that our reservation was canceled that we made several months in advance. Some lame excess that the park was under 6 foot water --- geeze how lame!!!!
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We were called about week before we were suppose to sign in that our reservation was canceled that we made several months in advance. Some lame excess that the park was under 6 foot water --- geeze how lame!!!!

That IS lame!! You would think they could have given you more notice or at least try to get the water out of your site.........
Old 09-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
gearhead

Since you've had practice with the review on Trip Advisor, you may as well scorch 'em on campgroundreviews.com. And...tell us who it was.
I don't know what I would have done. Might as well call 911 because this is going to get heated.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 09-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
notanlines

Gearhead (and the others, for that matter) has a great point. You are allowed to name names on this forum. Just be sure to be factual. It also helps to use as few four letter words as possible.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

A reminder of one of our forum rules:

7) This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community.

Naming the offender is acceptable, but annihilation, total destruction and possible liability issues are not allowed.

Naming the offense and the offender and a description of the problem are more than helpful and enough to warn others.

Let's keep it sane and not salty.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
first time 5er

Honeysuckle Meadows rv park, Wears valley Tn.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
ChuckS

Fortunately we've never had that problem. We travel the western states only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 09-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

I had it happen last April on a trip from PDX to Boise ID. Park is Ambassador RV Resort. Upon check in the lady put me in a different spot. When I phoned to get a reservation. I asked for and got a space next to the dog walk, potty area. They wanted me half the park away. (A 5 plus minute walk away). I explained I have a 100 lb lab and need to be near that area as I do not want to offend anyone if he poos or pees before I get him there. Yes I would and do clean up his #2. no matter where he goes.
They finally got me about 6 spaces away from where I was supposed to be.
I left a honest reply on the visitors review. The check in took 20 minutes instead of only a few. I received a letter about 1 week later from the property manager. He apologized and send a free night stay without expiration. The park is a nice park and very clean everywhere. Except for the check in screw up I rate it as a 10. We will stay there again on our next visit even if we did not get the free night.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #15
gearhead

I think Honeysuckle used to be "Cove Mountain RV". We stayed there maybe 3 years ago. It was a strange experience. One night I thought I heard fireworks. Opened the RV door, and no, it wasn't fireworks. It was 223 rounds from nearby. In the morning I talked to the folks in the office about it and they said they can't do anything because they were in the un-incorporated county. So heads up, or heads down maybe.
But it was a decent RV park.
Elviras Café just down the road is pretty good.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
first time 5er

Well maybe i was wrong. This morning a gentleman from the office called and asked if i was thinking about staying longer since i am from Kissimmee...

I left Thursday

Old 09-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by first time 5er View Post
Well maybe i was wrong. This morning a gentleman from the office called and asked if i was thinking about staying longer since i am from Kissimmee...

I left Thursday
Did you take the opportunity to discuss your original issue?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:03 AM   #18
first time 5er

I got the same "deer in the headlights" answers. Nothing worth discussing.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:07 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like that campground may have been bought by (or managed by) one of the major airlines ???? I wonder if they'll start offering a "free night for delayed camping" or a "voucher for a future trip" as a standard "perk" for sitting on the side of the road like they do for sitting in the departure lounge at airports ??????

I know, I know, but with the increases in RV sales, more people making reservations, more rigs on the road and more crowding in campgrounds, I'd suspect this is probably "growing pains" from overpopulation rather than "a personal agenda" to make life miserable for people who can afford the luxury of owning an RV.

Could they do better? Sure, they could (and should). Will they? Hey, the site was occupied, so will the campground owner even see a 'glitch in profits" ??? Will management (that middle ground between the "workerbee and the millionaire owner) notice? Hmmmmmmm

I'd almost bet that nothing changes, profits continue to soar and the "campground full" sign gets hung next year just like it did this year.

As a comparison, when I was "travelling for a living" I was always upset when my company made reservations at Holiday Inn or the Hampton Inn for a no smoking king room and when checking in, I was told, "Sorry, all we have is queen double rooms in the smoking area"...... Should I sleep in the lobby, raise heck or go across the street and try to find a no smoking room ???

Life's too short, just make reservations at a different campground next time you're in that area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #20
allmi01

I had that happen on a late arrival reservation. I didn't have a specific site reserved bit arranged for a late night arrival. When I arrived, the campground management left the site information on the office door with the site number and a campground map. When I went to the site, it was occupied by someone else, who arrived late and just took what was open.

Luckily, I'm fairly talented at backing up and took a different site. The next morning when I went to the office to check in, I did let them know the site they selected was occupied and I was in another site. they were surprised I fit in the site I did. they profusely apologized.

It worked out OK but I was none too happy at 11:30pm to find what was setup being not available. I with hold the campgrounds name as they were not at fault. Just one of those things we deal with from time to time.

Mike
Closed Thread