Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
arniez

Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone.

We're heading for Yellowstone this coming Saturday and staying 4 nights in Fishing Bridge. The campground has no picnic tables or fire pits. Anyone know if this is due to not wanting to attract bears to the campground? I have a portable gas grill that came with the trailer and am wondering if I should use it or not?

Thanks
arniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
dblanch57

When we stayed at fishing bridge, we didn't have time to camp (i.e. - camp fires or grill). They will let you know what you can do. Yes there are bears in the area. Saw one in the campground. Also, camp sites are very close together. We couldn't use our canopy because of a tree.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We stayed at Fishing Bridge 2 summers ago. To be honest, we were only at the trailer to sleep, shower and regroup for the next outing. We didn't have time to sit at a picnic table (there were none) and we were never at the trailer long enough to even light a gas grill, much less prepare a meal outside. By the time we got back to the trailer, it was dark, there were "strange rustling noises" in the bushes around the perimeter of the campground and even our dog was reluctant to go very far past the "bear proof trash dumpsters"... As for "setting up camp" there's not enough room between most campsites to even open the awning fully (we had a big bush in the way) and there were no tables or fire rings in the park.

So, if you're going to see the park (not to sit around the campground) don't even plan on using the grill, you won't be there to use a picnic table and there won't be time to set up any "recreational, time consuming adventures" from the lawn chair perspective... It's "go, Go, GO!!!" from dawn to dark and even after dark if you take advantage of the campground facilities like ranger talks, briefings and a quick shower before the bath houses close. Oh, you'll get a limited number of "shower coupons" for each campsite. We didn't use any, but the showers are a good walk from the campsites and I wouldn't want any young kids making that walk without adult supervision after dark....

Yes, we also saw bears "in the campground" and two of the three nights we were there, I was reluctant to walk the dog past the area where the trailer scare light provided good illumination.

My advice would be to not plan any extended "trailer time" other than sleeping, eating and getting ready for the next trip to see attractions in the park. There's no time to relax, do that after you get back home, Yellowstone is a "once in a lifetime" kind of event (even if you go back, the kids will be in a different mindset) so take full advantage of the opportunity to cram in as much of the uniqueness of the park, not sitting around a picnic table with kids complaining, "Dad, I'm bored" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
arniez

Thanks much for the replies.
arniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
scottz

I have stayed there several times; IIRC you are allowed to use your grill, but you are not allowed to leave it outside; must be taken in when not in use. I don't know why the don't have tables except there is just not room. This is a large RV park and they pack em in like sardines. But for the convenience, this is a good way to see Yellowstone. Like most have said, you don't spend much time in the park; too many things to see. Right across the road from the Fishing Bridge general store, is a ranger station; they have presentations every night; a good thing to do after a long day fighting the Yellowstone traffic jams. As far as the traffic, just know it is going to be bad and relax.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground