Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #21
roadglide

I was at colorado camp ground that was miserable turn around near a lake. I made but close and park in my area, My neighbor had almost the same rig set up except his truck was 2015. I'm out chatting with about the crappy website and he commences to show me his new truck and fusion, He blow out his rear window and some light damage to his rv. It came down my neighbor wasn't paying attention yes it can happen, I have learned if i got in there I can get out. I'm new to these beast and figuring out not to get my self into situations I hope.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #22
jaxfore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk4me View Post
I have a 2013 Montana Mountaineer, 375FLF. It has the MorRyde hitch. I am currently using the PullRite Slider hitch. It weighs in at 220 lbs. I cannot remove/install it without a lift or have a couple other men do it for me. I just had a back disk fusion done a week ago.
My question is:
1)Has anyone pulled with a short box (6.5ft.) without the use of a slider and not had clearance issues. I have seen all the horror stories and pictures of the damage to the TV and RV's.
2)I am considering either changing to the PullRite Superlite, Andersen or similar as well as the Automated Safety Hitch. Has anyone used these hitches without clearance issues except the Automated Safety Hitch which totally eleminates clearance issues and looks very tempting.
Please keep all comments relevant to the question.
I tow with a short bed and have had no issues. I have a 2012 Chevrolet 2500 6.5 and have had no issues and have yet to use the slide option on my attachment.
jaxfore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #23
the sodfather

Buy a bumper pull. Problem solved!��
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #24
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
Buy a bumper pull. Problem solved!��
Yeah, but that presents a whole new set of problems. My F350 CCLB and trailer are about 50' long when hooked up. I need a lot of room to get that thing backed into spots!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #25
rick-eureka

I nave a Keystone 30' Raptor. On level ground no problem. Did rub the Raptor on a steep incline a while back while making a tight turn. No major damage, except to my pride. A little touch up paint and no one will ever know the difference. Will be a little more careful next time.
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #26
kennyskywalker

I can say that the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch has worked for me! I have a true 6.5 truck bed but what helps me is the offset from the hitch location from the back axel on my truck. I have a 2016 Titan XD SV model and a 2017 Springdale fifth wheel. Additionally, the one factor that has helped me is the sculpted nose of the fifth wheel. When I was backing up I probably jacked knifed between 70 and 75 degree angle and had about a foot and a half clearance from truck cab and fifth wheel nose, bottom line it works. Most of the online information regarding the Andersen fifth wheel I have found to be negative, what people that are complaining don't tell you is they probably have an older model fifth wheel that has a flat nose and those may cause an issue when backing up.[IMG]‪C:\Users\Kenny\Desktop\20161220_141141.jpg[/IMG]
kennyskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #27
2014301ktmhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
I didn't say cut-away, I said mid-profile vs full profile. I have a Fuzion with the "max turn" cut aways and there's zero chance in hell it's clearing the cab of a short-bed without slider:

Same story with my CCSB Chevy and FZ 342. I slide my hitch back soon as I arrive any camp ground as a routine.
Please no more "Maybe your hitch is installed to far forward" replies.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #28
CWSWine

Is just me but I don't like to get over 60 or 70 degrees. Seems that more than that the tires/axles are taking one heck twisting action and stress being put on the side wall. I got into some tight places by just pulling forward few feet then backup keep the angles less than 90.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Is just me but I don't like to get over 60 or 70 degrees. Seems that more than that the tires/axles are taking one heck twisting action and stress being put on the side wall. I got into some tight places by just pulling forward few feet then backup keep the angles less than 90.
I agree with you, and what you describe is exactly what anyone towing a "bumper pull" trailer has to do to negotiate the same angles. They are limited by design, to about 45 degrees maximum backing angles and they do just fine in every campground I've visited. I am, like you, very reluctant to get my fifth wheel anywhere even close to 90 degrees. To me, the stress and twisting forces are more than I want to put on my rig. So, when I look at a site (I always get out and look/plan how to maneuver into a site and also plan how I'm going to get out of that same site) I consider where and how to pull forward so I can make the angles without having to put my rig into a position that would result in angles such as those in pictures in this thread.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to subject my rig to that kind of "wear and tear". To me, it's like "throwing an expensive tool in a bucket" rather than returning it to a protective carrying case.... It just seems like "not taking good care" of equipment...

I'm sure others have very different feelings, and for them, that's perfectly OK. It's just not "in my nature" to subject my equipment to what I feel is abuse. My opinion (we all have them) is that a significant number of trailer tire/wheel, suspension, bearing and brake problems are, at least in part, caused by excessive stress placed on the components from actions such as sharp backing angles.

I don't want to argue the point, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and they are responsible for their rig, so if it works for them, it's a good thing and I support their reasoning for wanting a sliding hitch. I've just never found a reason to want one or encountered a situation where I even wished for one. Maybe I've lead a "sheltered RV life", who knows ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #30
66joej

I'm with you John. Being an old mechanic I've always looked after my tools because they put the food on the table. I also feel the same about my vehicles RV included. Look after it and it will give you good service.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, tow, towing