Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
xrated

Blue Ox WDH

I know there are several (maybe many) different brands of W.D.Hitches out there and I am curious. Generally speaking, how does the Blue Ox brand compare with some of the others? It doesn't seem to me like they are mentioned much on here, but then again, I'm pretty much brand new on the forum.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: Blue Ox WDH

we sell them but I have only installed one. Probably the price, IIRC they are at least twice what the Reese elite round bar is, and we install lots of them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
smokeater

I use the blue ox and am quite pleased with it.
smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
busterbrown

I had a Blue Ox hitch with 1000 lb bars. Still have after using it for several months early on this past spring. It worked okay for the first few short trips of the season. After a white knuckle experience with 30 mph crosswinds in June, I had to invest in a Hensley Arrow.

The Blue Ox is a good hitch, don't get me wrong. But it will not eliminate sway, especially when driving in very windy conditions. The Hensley is in a different league of hitches. It eliminates sway entirely as the hitch is designed on several cams and struts that prevent lateral sway, no matter how much crosswind is blowing on the trailer. The Blue Ox is your typical sway reducing hitch in normal driving conditions.

In fact, I still have mine and will sell it come this spring when the travel trailer market heats up again. A nice feature about the Blue Ox is that you can back up without removing sway bars.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
CFDfireman90

I have a blue ox that I have run for 2 seasons. I have been very pleased with it, even in windy conditions.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
xrated

Being able to back up without removing it is a great feature and one that is important to me. Thanks for the replies from everyone, it's comforting to know that it is of good quality.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
BirchyBoy

I bought a BO when I bought my new trailer. I had ano Equalizer before and wish I'd have gone with one again. For me, engaging the chains is much harder than the EQ bars ever were.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Lifting that long tube can be easier that turning that short handle. Both are a breeze if you lock the hitch onto the ball and then raise the tongue to take all the tension off.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
Sherwolfe

I have the Blue Ox and it works great. I would suggest you get a long handle socket bar to tighten or unhook the chains. That little handle thing they send doesn't work that well and the longer bar with a socket works really well.

I particularly like that I do not have to unhook to back up with this hitch. Everybody has their own idea of what works best for them, for me it's the Blue Ox but it does cost more than most other hitches.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Sherwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote