Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2016, 04:55 AM   #21
xcntrk

I forget to mention the Hensley bump. And for those wondering, this where the trailer can run up onto the pivot head of the Hensley under heavy braking. Basically the TV stops shorter than the TT and as a result the trailer runs up onto the converged link pivot head (as if in a turn), until the head reaches full swivel limit and makes a "thud" usually felt as a bump to the TV.

Sounds like you have it covered with more braking power on the trailer. You actually get used to it after a while. After I later upgraded to a 1-ton truck while still pulling a TT with ProPride, the Hensley bump would happen and you could hear the thud but the truck wouldn't budge. Like a toy bumping into a tank

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 AM   #22
slow

I must of lucked out with my brake controller settings because I never experienced the "bump". That suggests. It can be avoided with proper settings. Keep adjusting until it no longer happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #23
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I must of lucked out with my brake controller settings because I never experienced the "bump". That suggests. It can be avoided with proper settings. Keep adjusting until it no longer happens.

I think I've tweaked my brake controller as the bump is virtually non-existent now.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #24
busterbrown

Big 1st Road Trip With the Hensley

Ok, I thought I would see significant improvement with sway tendencies of my TT. I was wrong. I experienced complete resolution. Our 800 mile voyage was so relaxing pulling the Bullet that I let my wife drive almost the entire way home. Her words exactly, "It's so easy to drive". I concur.

The Hensley keeps the trailer in linear alignment with the TV that it's next to impossible to feel the trailer pull laterally. It just doesn't happen. The big rigs, the crosswinds, the down grades: none of these factors influenced the trailer. The TV does seem more stout and heavy pulling at 65 MPH.

Initially, I was intimidated with hooking and unhooking the trailer. But after about 3 practice attempts, the process has become as easy as hitching the Blue Ox. There is a learning curve, but it's very short one. Takes about 2 minutes in total to get the trailer secured to the TV.

I did stop at a cat scale and was able to get the rig weighed. With a full tank of gas, 2 babies, one 1st grader, my wife, myself, and a couple small coolers, the payload was about 25lbs under capacity. Not much wiggle room, but under none-the-less. Trailer weighed about 7440 lbs, 400 lbs under the GVW. Tongue weight was around 850 lbs, about 11.5% of the trailers GVW. The Blue Ox pnly weights about half as much as the Hensley Arrow giving me more payload. But the stability of the Hensley was so worth losing a 100 lbs of payload.

Overall, I wish I just purchased the Hensley Arrow when I bought the trailer. It would have saved me a few dollars and a many white knuckles. Even the rep at Hensley told me that the Arrow was most applicable on rigs like mine. I completely agree.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:15 AM   #25
slow

Hensley Arrow hitch vs new TV

Glad to hear that it has all worked out for you.

They truly are incredible to tow with and can only be appreciated by experience. You should be able to completely eliminate the bump. Keep tweeting.

Coming out of the Rockies yesterday, we had strong cross winds. I did not even notice them. After coming over a ridge, I noticed in my mirror a trailer a quarter mile back, swaying across two lanes. Luckily it was not catastrophic and he was able to get it straightened out.

I have no idea what his set up was, but at that moment I was happy I had the ProPride.

RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 08-04-2016, 05:05 AM   #26
xcntrk

Great to hear the Hensley is working for you! That sway can be a real concern and it sounds like the Hensley has helped to curb the problem.

Keep an eye on that payload subject. If you embark on numerous outings per year (dozen or more) and are at the top of your vehicle limits each time out, you should really start thinking about a more capable tow vehicle. "You can never have too much tow vehicle, but you can easily have not enough".

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #27
busterbrown

Quote:
After coming over a ridge, I noticed in my mirror a trailer a quarter mile back, swaying across two lanes.
That was my experience 3 weeks ago. I don't know how many people I made soil themselves! I know I needed a clean pair of underwear when I got home. Loving the Hensley now!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #28
thewhitehat

Good deal! I couldn't recommend the Hensley more. And as you now know, the high price is a small price to pay for your life and for peace of mind.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #29
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

The biggest problem I see with modern WD systems (not Hensley types) with "built in" sway control is people don't use a sway bar. The manufacturers have sold the idea that a sway bar is not needed. Maybe true for shorter rigs, but not true for longer ones. The sway control built in to these WD systems pale in comparison to an actual sway bar.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #30
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehat View Post
Good deal! I couldn't recommend the Hensley more. And as you now know, the high price is a small price to pay for your life and for peace of mind.
Driving through my RV storage lot today, I noticed only 3 other trailers with either Propride or Hensley Arrows attached. This is out of some 300 units I drove by. Is it just a high price point or lack of knowledge of the brand? I question why I wouldn't see more considering how well they actually work.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #31
TonyCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Driving through my RV storage lot today, I noticed only 3 other trailers with either Propride or Hensley Arrows attached. This is out of some 300 units I drove by. Is it just a high price point or lack of knowledge of the brand? I question why I wouldn't see more considering how well they actually work.

Has to be the price in my opinion. My Andersen No Sway works perfectly, but if money wasn't an object I would definitely step up.
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #32
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCO View Post
Has to be the price in my opinion. My Andersen No Sway works perfectly, but if money wasn't an object I would definitely step up.
I had the impression that my $550 Blue Ox hitch would be great at minimizing trailer sway. It did the job in ideal driving conditions. But it would require me to have two hands on the wheel at highway speeds making frequent (albeit small) steering adjustments. It wasn't until this past week when driving with the Hensley did I appreciate how relaxing the drive can be. One handed on the steering wheel, passing big rigs as I crest the hill at highway speeds without any lateral movement of the trailer. That was the safety and drivability factor I was searching for! It's like the tow vehicle and trailer have wheels on the same frame rail.

We're planning a trip to Tennessee at the end of the month and I can't wait to see how the rig handles the Smoky Mountains.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:03 AM   #33
busterbrown

Just an update on our 2500 mile trip to Disney

Two weeks ago, we returned from our Michigan to Orlando, FL (Fort Wilderness) trip pulling our 35 foot, 7000 lb sail. I-75 southbound for 16 hours I though might be a challenge. Boy, was I wrong.

Ohio greeted us with construction lanes on many miles of its interstate. Anyone who pulls a rig in narrow construction lanes with concrete barriers for shoulders knows how nerve racking the drive can be. The Hensley performed awesome in and out of these construction zones as my trailer stoutly stayed behind my truck inches away from the big rigs in the adjacent lane. I never had a single moment of unease or fear even on the most narrow segments of the temporary road bed.

Kentucky and Tennessee brought on the hills. Not as extreme as driving to the Eisenhower tunnel along the I-70 corridor in Colorado but a nice test of the rigs ability to crest a hill with trailer traffic and crosswinds. Again, the trailer did not exhibit any sway. A confident "one hand on the steering wheel" approach without the sore white knuckles. The Hensley arrow had completely changed our driving experience.

Georgia didn't challenge us much. Although, I didn't like driving through Atlanta around 5pm on a weekend day. But not due to anything towing related. It was interstate gridlock on a hot Friday afternoon. Now, I can appreciate Detroit's rush hour much more.

After a relaxing night at a full hook up site 60 miles into Florida, we began the next day with a early dash to Fort Wilderness via the Florida Turnpike. I had no idea that I would soon be testing the limits of the Hensley on the FTP.

Cruising at 65 mph in the right lane and about 40 minutes from our destination, a pickup truck (in the left lane but in front of us) ran over the mangled remains of an entire semi truck tire. That tire catapulted directly in front of my truck. I swerved left as I would have made contact it if i moved the rig right. A car next to me was attempting to pass me at this exact moment on the left. I corrected my initial action and steered right to avoid a side impact. At 65 MPH and with split second directional changes, my trailer just followed along as if it was locked in place on my truck's frame rails. This recovery would have never happened with my Blue OX sway pro hitch. In fact, it could have been catastrophic for the TV and trailer.

This was the only time during the trip that my knuckles were ghostly white, but for the most obvious reason. Since that event, my DW and I are absolutely positive that the Hensley Arrow was our saving grace and wouldn't think twice about purchasing it again.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:52 AM   #34
slow

Glad to hear that you were able to safely maneuver your rig to avoid an accident.

The articulating hitches (Hensley or ProPride) are truly a different towing experience that is difficult to convince others of that have not experienced it themselves. Well worth the money IMO as well.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 09-15-2016, 05:50 AM   #35
busterbrown

Quote:
The articulating hitches (Hensley or ProPride) are truly a different towing experience that is difficult to convince others of that have not experienced it themselves.
You're absolutely right. Until someone uses a Hensley or Propride for themselves, they can only relate to their current hitch setup and experience. I am so glad that I took the risk and shelled out the money. This was by far the highlight of my aftermarket RV product purchases.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #36
Waldo_2001

This has been said but here is my experience.

First camper 30 ft with 2011 F-150 with Max Tow package. Pulled ok but still had sway with Equalizer hitch/ Then Tried Anderson Hitch / still not happy. Changed tires to 10 ply. That helped quite a bit. Bought the Pro Pride set up and it made all the difference in the world. Very happy and then bought a 35ft trailer. Now the F-150 was to small for the trailer. Now have a F-250 with the Pro Pride and all is well. Your Tow vehicle is way to small to tow what you have safely no matter the hitch. The hitch will be a band aid to a bigger problem of to big of a camper and to small of a tow vehicle. Just my rant

2012 Springdale 303 BHS Current
2011 Hornet 27BHS Sold
2005 Fleetwood Newport sold
2009 Jayco SLX 184 sold
1995 Starcraft 1021 sold
Waldo_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #37
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_2001 View Post
This has been said but here is my experience.

First camper 30 ft with 2011 F-150 with Max Tow package. Pulled ok but still had sway with Equalizer hitch/ Then Tried Anderson Hitch / still not happy. Changed tires to 10 ply. That helped quite a bit. Bought the Pro Pride set up and it made all the difference in the world. Very happy and then bought a 35ft trailer. Now the F-150 was to small for the trailer. Now have a F-250 with the Pro Pride and all is well. Your Tow vehicle is way to small to tow what you have safely no matter the hitch. The hitch will be a band aid to a bigger problem of to big of a camper and to small of a tow vehicle. Just my rant
We are within the capacities of our tv and trailer. When the kids get older and we want to haul more payload, an upgrade will be in order. As for now, the truck pulls better than I would have ever anticipated. Not my rant...

Old 09-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #38
Ken / Claudia

First off, I am glad the maneuver around debris worked out. That is what nearly everyone does. That is natural. That is normally the worst thing to do. Without writing a chapter on how to maintain control of a moving vehicle. We train to drive over debris because any sudden movement of steering or braking can and will cause a loss of control at highway speeds. Those movements are overly done because of the panic. Besides you will never know 100% the lanes are clear next to you. In a panic you cannot take time to check. Advice to avoid a crash, take foot off throttle, any steering that must be done must be slowly. Better to go straight. After impact, start braking, testing the brakes slowly by only small amount of pressure. Drive to shoulder and check out vehicle damage. You will never do any of that safe stuff unless you train at it or, always think about it before it happens. By that I mean, have a plan before, trying to remember what to do at the event is to late.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote