Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
Bhickey2304

Gas station help

So we leave Wednesday going to Orlando to Disney and this is our first trip out of gas mileage range does any one have any tips or apps to help give an idea of where gas stations that are RV friendly (I.e. Easy in easy out). I have a f150 so I'm stuck looking for gas pumps not truck stop diesel pumps. Although that may be the ticket that makes my wife let me get a diesel. Lol
Bhickey2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Laredo291OH

When we take our long trips, we up our data package on our cell phones. When we get to within about 50 miles of needing gas the wife will use her laptop and google maps to start looking for gas stations that are easy in and easy out. Any more with the street view in Google Maps it is amazing what you can see. Couple of times we have decided to use a station because you could see an RV in the gas station when using the street view in Google.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Bamacamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhickey2304 View Post
So we leave Wednesday going to Orlando to Disney and this is our first trip out of gas mileage range does any one have any tips or apps to help give an idea of where gas stations that are RV friendly (I.e. Easy in easy out). I have a f150 so I'm stuck looking for gas pumps not truck stop diesel pumps. Although that may be the ticket that makes my wife let me get a diesel. Lol
I have an apps on my phone called rvparks and not only does it shows campgrounds, but also gas station, Wal-Mart, loves stations, pilots stations too. Hope that helps you.
Bamacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Mike484

We just took a trip to Florida and back, thought the big truck stops such as Loves or Pilot would be best, not actually unless your diesel. We just had to pull off and hope for the best, usually took exits that had several stations so we could look for the best. we found out that really, its not as tough as you think. we made it in and out of several stations that we would have thought wouldn't work.

Didn't think about using Google Earth to look at the locations first, this is actually a very good idea.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

Flying J stations have dedicated RV lanes with gas and diesel. Most or all Pilot stations do also. Most have a dump station at the islands as well.

GasBuddy app gives prices, phone numbers, directions, and many have a picture some of which may help.

It is not as tough as you think to find fuel easy in / out. One of the easiest I saw was impossible as my 5er would not fit under their 13' canopy something that was never a concern with my TTs.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:44 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

The first trip will give you some apprehension.

I've found that about the only way to really know is to look at them. I have taken an exit where there was only one station and I could get in but I try to always exit where there are multiple stations and a divided highway (if possible). It gives you the flexibility, usually, to turn the rig around if you can't get into a station that's in the direction you turned.

After you have gotten into a few you will know what to look for. Most Pilot's/Love's in our region don't have the dedicated RV lane and the gas pumps are right in front of the building so using any inside pump is out of the question. Look for outside pumps you can swing into or out of. The ability to drive completely around the building is nice. Sometimes you have to look at 3 or 4 before you find one that is comfortable to get in and out of. Our trailer is 38' behind our CC 4x4. Remember that the "tail" is very long and does not follow the track of the TV; swing wide for everything...and, when pulling out (or in) making a sharp turn, remember that the tail swings wide. What you left a moment ago that was 2' from the side of your truck will probably be side swiped by the tail of your trailer. Don't forget that backing is always an option and not bad once you get used to it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

I have never given it a second thought about pulling into any of the big truck stops for fuel. They usually have plenty of room even on the gas side to get thru with an RV. Remember they have to get the big fuel trucks in and out.

I am almost 63 feet nose to tail with my bumper pull and except for a few small town stations away from the main highways, I have never really had a problem. I can really only remember maybe a handful of times having to back out of something, but then again I don't mind backing and I am very good at it. Practice, practice, practice. I have to back a trailer at least 25 times a day for work to make deliveries and most times I am within 3 inches of my spot. What will throw me is having to back around other cars and they move, throws off my marker then.

If you have to back somewhere and have a spotter on the ground consider using some handheld radios or your cellphone on speaker to communicate with your ground spotter. Just make it clear what signals you want used for directions.....right or left....driver's side or passenger side, etc, etc.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Many of the places we go to the fuel tanks/fillers for the tanks are 30-50' from the pump island and the fuel trucks do not go thru the pump aisles.

Backing is an acquired skill that a novice doesn't have and can be rather intimidating for someone that hasn't done it. Also, backing, in a crowded 7-11 is dangerous and should be avoided; no matter how well you back. Pulled into a pump on our trip here to FL on some little offramp. The only way out was to back, which shouldn't have been an issue. The line of cars in front of the store was on my blind side so my wife was spotting me. I was clear when I began, clear when she told me to go, then some guy decided he wanted to try to beat me by zooming past the end of the store and square behind my backing rig missing the end of my trailer about 2-3'. If I had been head on I would have been able to see him and watch out. Just saying that backing a long trailer is NOT the optimum way to exit a busy store.

On the other hand, I just visited with my neighbor in the next space last evening and he related a backing experience he had in the NE with his new motorhome. He was negotiating an interstate exchange when right in the middle of a curve was an overpass with a clearance less than his rig. No warning. He had to stop, call the troopers who then had to stop all traffic and re-divert the backed up cars. Then he had to back all the way thru the exchange and back down the original highway until he came to a crossover - a couple of miles. All that to point out that backing from a convenience store isn't the worst thing in the world
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

Tanker trucks are not as tall as a regular Van type trailer typically
13'6", they are only about 12' or 12'6" so they can get into lower height GAS
stations.

Best thing is to hook-up and measure the top of your rig at it's highest point
so you know what is required for an uneventful pit stop.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

Tanker trucks are not as tall as a regular Van type trailer typically
13'6", they are only about 12' or 12'6" so they can get into lower height GAS
stations.

Best thing is to hook-up and measure the top of your rig at it's highest point
so you know what is required for an uneventful pit stop.

hankaye
That's if the trucks stacks are the same height as the trailer. I pulled gasoline tankers years ago and some exhaust stacks are 13' or taller. Tight squeezes sometimes. Best to measure like you said and have a spotter to check the height if possible. Our Fuzion shows a height of 13'-3" max after leveling. This can change with the height of the tow vehicle...air bags..4x4...lift kits or height of the 5th wheel all come into play.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
gearhead

I have the flying j app and gas buddy app. Also if you prefer print, there is a book Next Exit that will help. Amazon has it I think.
Walmart isn't very rv friendly. Usually hard to get out if you can get in.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
hankaye

pawpaw, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
That's if the trucks stacks are the same height as the trailer. I pulled gasoline tankers years ago and some exhaust stacks are 13' or taller. Tight squeezes sometimes. Best to measure like you said and have a spotter to check the height if possible. Our Fuzion shows a height of 13'-3" max after leveling. This can change with the height of the tow vehicle...air bags..4x4...lift kits or height of the 5th wheel all come into play.
What do I know, ... hauled flatbeds and dump trailers mostly, some vans,
Always had 12' or 12'6" stacks for going in and out of Steel yards, chem. plants, and refineries. Hauled Hazmat alot.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Bhickey2304

Thanks for the info. I have the pilot app and gas buddy surely we can manage. Lol
Bhickey2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #14
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post

It is not as tough as you think to find fuel easy in / out. One of the easiest I saw was impossible as my 5er would not fit under their 13' canopy something that was never a concern with my TTs.

Yeah, measure your height, especially if you're like us and added the front A/C to an already tall fiver.

I came across a station I was glad was well labeled last weekend... 13' 0". I wouldn't have fit underneath.

If it isn't labeled and there's any doubt, GOAL. (Get Out And Look).
Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #15
michael_h

Smile

stop and pick you up a FlyingJ /Pilot book and a loves station book, also Flying J/Pilot has a gas rewards card you can pick up for free that saves $0.03 a gallon, Loves only offers a professional drivers card for diesel purchase

We found the books were easier than the phone apps as our phone sometimes had a hard time receiving net data while moving for some reason

Good luck and have fun
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:16 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

I think all "new RV'ers" have some level of anxiety with towing their RV in crowded places. This will, for most people, disappear as the number of refueling events and "tight camp spaces" add up. When we first started towing, I was "afraid" of pulling into busy gas stations. When we bought the motorhome, I found it "unsettling" to drive "past an object" before starting a turn. Backing that motorhome was "a whole 'nuther experience" when compared to backing a trailer. But, we learned, got more proficient and soon, the "worrying" turned into "just another gas station refuel"....

Through the years, we've come to "not worry" about finding fuel just as we've come to "not worry" about making reservations for overnight stops and pushing past "comfort" so we don't lose our deposit.... After all, that's why we tow "fully self contained". We've found, through the years, that the "planning fuel stops" and "pushing past something we'd like to see" because we have to "stay on schedule" pretty much takes the fun out of RV'ing.

Any more, (and I think most RV'ers are the same), we start looking for fuel when we get to about 1/4 tank, and have found that "most exits" that have more than one gas station will have "space enough" for us to get in and get fuel with no problems. For me, it's become "not a space to maneuver" thing as much as a "which one is cheaper" thing. I've found that almost all "brand name" stations (not so much "mom and pop" stations) have "outside pumps" that pose no issues for RV'ers.

Oh, but I do remember "the good old days" when I was worried. Trust me, after a couple of years, almost all RV'ers stop using the "pre-planned" fuel stops and don't have a second thought about "what if".... There'll come a time when you just "improvise", deal with the situation as it unfolds and don't give it a second thought...... Of course, knowing how to "not get into trouble" is a big part of that, and it will come together as the experience level grows.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
gearhead

I thought I was going to run out Tuesday. Came out of the CG at Gadsden AL. thinking I would get fuel at the next easy looking place. Never saw one. Asked the DW: where is the next Pilot? Rising Fawn GA. How far? 23 miles. Ram is showing a fuel range of 43 miles. A few more miles and the low fuel warning comes on. I'm off cruise control and coasting down hills. On empty. Get in the Pilot and fill up. 28 gallons. I still had 4 gallons left.
Told the DW when we go west I'm bringing a 5 gallon can with me.
Edit.....Noccalula Falls Gadsden city park CG not too bad for $22. Lots of unlevel sites though.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #18
CaptnJohn

On the interstates my 1st choice is Flying J, 2nd Pilot. At 1/4 tank any station I can get in/out will work. Staying a few days at Kingsland GA, GA exit 1 of I-95. Pilot diesel is $2.49 credit and $2.43 cash. The 2 stations across the street are $2.17 but are not RV friendly and no way a semi getting in. That makes each gallon at Pilot worth $0.32 worth it to the big rigs here.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #19
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Many of the places we go to the fuel tanks/fillers for the tanks are 30-50' from the pump island and the fuel trucks do not go thru the pump aisles.

Backing is an acquired skill that a novice doesn't have and can be rather intimidating for someone that hasn't done it. Also, backing, in a crowded 7-11 is dangerous and should be avoided; no matter how well you back. Pulled into a pump on our trip here to FL on some little offramp. The only way out was to back, which shouldn't have been an issue. The line of cars in front of the store was on my blind side so my wife was spotting me. I was clear when I began, clear when she told me to go, then some guy decided he wanted to try to beat me by zooming past the end of the store and square behind my backing rig missing the end of my trailer about 2-3'. If I had been head on I would have been able to see him and watch out. Just saying that backing a long trailer is NOT the optimum way to exit a busy store.

On the other hand, I just visited with my neighbor in the next space last evening and he related a backing experience he had in the NE with his new motorhome. He was negotiating an interstate exchange when right in the middle of a curve was an overpass with a clearance less than his rig. No warning. He had to stop, call the troopers who then had to stop all traffic and re-divert the backed up cars. Then he had to back all the way thru the exchange and back down the original highway until he came to a crossover - a couple of miles. All that to point out that backing from a convenience store isn't the worst thing in the world
There are not to many 7-11 stores I would ever consider taking my rig into.

Honestly when it comes to any motor home, trailer, boat or what ever you may decide to run down the road. A few hours spent in an empty lot practicing backing or even tight turns to find your turn points, or to check tail swing, can save alot of headaches down the road. We are talking about gas stations but we all have had issues with campgrounds, Sani station access, parking lots and road hazards in general.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:43 AM   #20
gearhead

Convenience store fuel is my last choice. Quality is questionable to me.
I can usually get in and out of a gas station unless the pump islands are pointed towards the storefront. I created some bad feelings at a Walmart. They never have enough room. I just pulled the truck up to the pump and left the 5th out in the driveway. Got a few ugly looks.
Yeah, watch that overhang swing. I tore a corner on our class c many years ago. Too many hours on the road. I should have called it a day sooner.