Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
RK1978

another newbie working on weights

Thanks in advance for any and all help and information.
I have a Hideaway 26B trailer, 2008 vintage, bought used. Tow vehicle is a 96 K2500 diesel extended cab (farm truck). I only have one sticker on the door, shows GVW (8600) and axle limits (F-4250, R-6000). I found a set to decode VIN data and it shows GCW weights in 4 steps, from 12K to 14.5K. It also shows bumper deadweight as 4K towed, 400 bumper weight, and WD hitch ratings of 10K towed and 1K bumper weight. The trailer gross weight rating is 5215, and figuring 15% on hitch gives me 782#. All this makes me think my truck capacity is adequate, but would like to fine tune the WD hitch. I hope to get actual weights when I have time, but am trying to get preliminary setup done. I would like to have a newer truck, but since I retired from my industrial maintenance job and just do farm work for my tenant the budget does not allow for that. I would appreciate a way to get more detailed info from my VIN, since there are a number of areas where the decoding website shows several choices.
Thanks, PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
buzzcop63

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=mkewkvU8Ot8

Full details on setting up truck and trailer with WD hitch.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #3
GMcKenzie

Ratings on the Chev 6.5L Diesel were pretty low. Like around 7K towing, even in 1 ton trim. Rated lower than the same truck with a 350.

Had a 94 3/4 ton and buddy has a 99 1 ton. I do think the rating is a bit of a joke and they are more capable than that.

Might have more luck looking at the RPO codes in the glove box. Will find out you axle ratio, if you have a locker etc.

http://www.rpocodes.com/

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
RK1978

Newbie reply

Thanks for the good information. I have had this truck for years, its been dependable but never seemed blessed with an overabundance of power. I will just be one of those slowpokes in the slow lane when on grades, but I don't drive that fast anyway.
PR
Old 05-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

I know there are a few modifications that can be done to make the motor more reliable.

First thing I would add if I were you is an EGT gauge. Make sure you don't cook the turbo pulling up hills. Not expensive to add.

Second is a PMD relocation kit. Move the electronic pump driver out of the intake valley and off where it can be kept cooler. Depending on the kit, it can even be moved inside the truck cab. These things go out at the worst times.

Lastly is cooling upgrades. In 97 they went to a higher flow water pump and dual thermostat setup. I did the higher flow water pump on mine and it made a difference to the cooling even with the single thermostat.

Having said all of that, I only had one time towing where I had an issue. The Oil pressure sender died, meaning the lift pump stopped working and the truck starved for fuel while towing. Was in the middle of vacation but the local dealer fixed me up pretty good.

The motor does get a bad rap, that is a bit undeserved. Yes it isn't a Duramax (I bought one to replace the 94 I had) but it does the job fine.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
RK1978

thanks

Mine has the PMD mod already done, and I was looking through the web and saw the kit for the cooling upgrade. That will probably be the next thing I do and gauges sound like a good idea. I am used to having that info in front of me in the big truck I drive (05 Pete 379, Cat C15 475 HP) so would like to have it in the little truck as well.
Thanks,
PR