Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
beemerguy

Removing Outside Speakers

I have the Sony outside speakers on my Fuzion, when the speakers on outside they our so loud in the living room you can hardly talk. I Emailed Sony on how to remove the outside grill to no avail. I can see the back of the speakers behind the couch but can't reach them. Has anyone removed the grill and placed some baffling to cut down the noise inside?

Thanks,ron
1974 VW Thing
beemerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
GaryWT

I would guess you can just remove the cover outside to get to the speaker. How loud are the speakers when outside. One option would be to turn off the outside speakers if you are inside.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
dcg9381

Ron, I haven't removed mine. On the outside, the grills are siliconed on in addition to whatever holds them in place with the speaker.

As you're looking to "turn them down" - why not install some simple analog volume controls for those particular speaker outputs?

In the Carbon, I believe the living room and outside speakers are on the same output, probably in parallel, so you'd need to figure out where they split.. But with all the trouble that you'd have getting to yours, this might be an easier option... Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Two other options:
1) A head unit with 6-discreet speaker outputs that can be balanced
2) Rewire the head unit you've got to parallel the garage and living room speakers and have the ability to fade garage - living room / outside...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If I read the OP's initial post correctly, he wants to keep the "loudness' of the outside speakers when they are in use, but wants to stop the transmission of that "loudness" to the inside of his RV when they are in use. It's not a matter of "turning them down" but rather, "stopping the transfer of that sound to the inside of his trailer.

On my Cougar, there are two "brown plastic baffle plates" mounted inside the upper cabinet (at the back of each outside speaker). You may also have a similar baffle in your system. If so, possibly you could remove the baffles (they are attached with 6 #2 screws) and stuff some soundproofing material behind the speakers and in the baffles....

The trailer walls are 2" thick, composed of a FILON layer, a 1/8" luan layer, solid foam and an inside 1/8" luan layer. There's really no room in the wall to remove the speakers, insulate "behind them" and keep that all within the thin 2" wall space.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:09 AM   #5
beemerguy

Thanks to all who replyed. Here is the real problem. In the 2015 Fusion 371 there is a couch that takes up the complete slide. Builded-in the couch, are three wall-hugger recliners. When you recline the two end ones, on each side, behine your head, on the wall, near the floor, are the speakers. I can see them but can not reach them from the inside. Sony says the speaker grills are removable. But, even if I remove them I still need to get to the back of the speakers to put some kind of sound deadening for the inside.
If you are outside with your buddies and have the outside speakers on and your wife is inside with her friends, even with the sound just loud enough to hear outside, it is very loud inside.
So fellow campers what should I do?

Thanks, ron
1974 VW Thing
Old 08-07-2015, 03:16 AM   #6
1jeep

shut off the radio...you have to live with the wife, your buddies go home at night!

personally I don't bother with the "sound system" keystone installed, I use a bose blue tooth outside for tunes.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Pull Toy

Plus one for JEEP!

"shut off the radio...you have to live with the wife, your buddies go home at night!"
But the neighbors don't!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
cospilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerguy View Post
Thanks to all who replyed. Here is the real problem. In the 2015 Fusion 371 there is a couch that takes up the complete slide. Builded-in the couch, are three wall-hugger recliners. When you recline the two end ones, on each side, behine your head, on the wall, near the floor, are the speakers. I can see them but can not reach them from the inside. Sony says the speaker grills are removable. But, even if I remove them I still need to get to the back of the speakers to put some kind of sound deadening for the inside.
If you are outside with your buddies and have the outside speakers on and your wife is inside with her friends, even with the sound just loud enough to hear outside, it is very loud inside.
So fellow campers what should I do?

Thanks, ron
i say remove the couch and if possible remove the inside covers. if there is room behind the couch you could build a small box out of MDF and attach it to the wall filled with insulation. if you can do this it will not only eliminate the radiated sound, but will likely improve the bass response on the outside as any speaker suffers from low frequency response when installed in too small of an enclosure.
speakers like this like to have a door cavity of a sedan to operate in to sound good.
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerguy View Post
I have the Sony outside speakers on my Fuzion, when the speakers on outside they our so loud in the living room you can hardly talk. I Emailed Sony on how to remove the outside grill to no avail. I can see the back of the speakers behind the couch but can't reach them. Has anyone removed the grill and placed some baffling to cut down the noise inside?

Thanks,ron
They make a plastic bowl type that mounts behind it, that cut alot of noise out when I installed it.
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
beemerguy

Thanks for all reply's, even the funny ones. I contacted Keystone about this problem and they said to take it to a dealer, great! I wouldn't be on this forum if I couldn't do it myself. Not sure what is involved with removing the couch, it might be in three sections, but will try.And will get back if I can.

Thanks again,ron
1974 VW Thing
Old 08-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
beemerguy

Looks like the couch/recliners are bolted to the floor from under the slide. Would have to remove the panel which extends under the seal of the slide. Don't want to cause any leaks on a new trailer so will have to live with it.

Thanks to all who replied, ron
1974 VW Thing
Old 08-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #12
gilpinbrewer

my 15 371 just has the couch sitting on the slide. They are in 3 pieces, if you take the end piece, lift straight up to unhook and then you can take it right out. I would be surprised if they bolted it to the floor.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
beemerguy

Smile

Thank you, thank you gilpinbrewer, you were 100% correct, the recliner was easy to remove. There were two screw holding the front to the floor, when removed the recliner tilted forward and out. Now I will check with some kind of baffling to go over the back of the speaker.

Thanks again,ron
1974 VW Thing
Old 09-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
Rdowns

I have been trying to get creative with this also! To come up with something that can go over the speakers inside. I made some baffles to sit over the speakers on the inside. Made them out of 1" thick neopreme foam pad and mad them into a mini speaker box then used some sticky back taper on the face of them and put them right on the wall over the speakers. Worked well! Cut the sound inside significantly.

Funny part is couple months after I did that, I ran into a guy with an 2014 342 model and he took just some speaker boxes made for 5" speakers through a couple pieces of foam or batting in the back of the box and used a few shallow screws to attach it to the wall over the speaker backs and BAM! made it quite inside ANNNNND improved the quality of the sound outside! Sounded way better than mine having that box on them... the only time it got a little loud inside was if he turned it up and had the bass going, the boxes seemed to amplify the bass.

Good Luck!!
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
beemerguy

Thanks, Rdowns, sounds like you two did a better job than myself. Here is what I did, with pictures. From Amazon ordered Metra 81-4300 Universal Speaker Baffle for $9.50 a pair and packed them with foam. Helped about 80% of the sound inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00659.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	9492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00660.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	9493   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00663.jpg
Views:	264