Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
GMcKenzie

Shower door towel racks

Was at a local RV show on the weekend and saw some of the units with towel racks on the shower door. Looked like a real good idea as I haven't figured out where to put them in my bathroom.

But it looks like this might be hard to do as it would take drilling a few holes in the shower door. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Handysam

One thing we did was add a towel bar to the under the sink cabinet door. Its got hooks that hook over the door with rubber backing on the hooks for protection of the wood. I personally would not drill into the shower door. We also have a vacant wall above the toilet that I plan on hanging a larger towel rack for larger bath towels etc.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
One thing we did was add a towel bar to the under the sink cabinet door. Its got hooks that hook over the door with rubber backing on the hooks for protection of the wood. I personally would not drill into the shower door. We also have a vacant wall above the toilet that I plan on hanging a larger towel rack for larger bath towels etc.
I mounted two towel rods over the toilet in mine. Hung a towel on the top one then placed the next one below it. My head clears it if I was sitting down. Want to add a shelf or 2 in the medicine cabinet, also someting under the sink cabinet.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Jim W

My DW picked up some over the door type towel racks, at Bed Bath and Beyond. She wrapped some felt around the hanger portion and these are then place over the shower surround facing out. We have two of them. We put them away when we are towing, so they will not fall and then they come out again when we set-up. The Door is free to open.
I also hung a towel bar under the cabinet that is over the toilet and we also placed a towel ring next to the cabinet that is by the sink.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
campingcpl

We put a towel ring above the toilet and then I added a couple of coat hooks to the inside of the bath door to hang towels on. So far it has been working good for us.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
My DW picked up some over the door type towel racks, at Bed Bath and Beyond. She wrapped some felt around the hanger portion and these are then place over the shower surround facing out. We have two of them. We put them away when we are towing, so they will not fall and then they come out again when we set-up. The Door is free to open.
I also hung a towel bar under the cabinet that is over the toilet and we also placed a towel ring next to the cabinet that is by the sink.
Jim W.
I'll send my DW tolook for the over the door ones. That sounds close enough to my idea to work.

Other than that there is not a lot of room to hang bar's in the bathroom. Probably because I take up so much of it when I am in there.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
KanTC

We like the looks of the shower door towel rack too, but I'm guessing that drilling into glass is more than a DIY project.

In our Laredo, there's a 18" towel bar installed on the inside of the bathroom door, near the top. There's also a simple (narrow) shelf above the toilet, which has hooks (similar to coat hooks) attached. Here's a dealer inventory photo for example:

http://www.rvusa.com/dealer_manageme...9595&picture=8

We also keep several of the molded plastic, over-the-door clothes hooks to hang over the shower (to the inside)... wet clothes, towels, etc are out of the way, but dry fairly quickly. Less than $2 each, similar to this:

http://www.bicsuperstore.com/Spectru...B000HJ7908.htm

There are other over-the-door towel racks (as shown here from Camping World) typically found at retail stores too.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...wel-rack/43953

Here's some other ideas for towel bars & racks, bath hooks, and hardware, etc.

http://www.amerock.com/products/2781/hooks/2791

http://www.amerock.com/products/2781...=1&sr=1&rpp=12

http://www.amerock.com/products/50/b...rdware/?rpp=12

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Devildogmom

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
How do you hang towel racks on that vacant wall? Those walls are so thin. How do you attach it?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Handysam

There are several hollow wall anchors, or better known as "hollow door" anchors for this application. Most local hardware stores carry such things, just don't let them get confused as to what you are looking for. There is a difference between the hollow wall anchors (drywall, plaster, etc.) and anchors that can be used in luan walls or hollow doors. I happen to like the "togglers" for this application of hanging the towel rod. Check them out at toggler.com Happy Camping, Sam
Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
Devildogmom

Wink Suction towel bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Was at a local RV show on the weekend and saw some of the units with towel racks on the shower door. Looked like a real good idea as I haven't figured out where to put them in my bathroom.

But it looks like this might be hard to do as it would take drilling a few holes in the shower door. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?
I bought some suction towel bars for the shower door yesterday on line. Here's the website: http://www.suctionproducts.com/towel_bar.html

We pick up our new Cougar 327RES the first of July. I'll let you know how they work out after I install them. I also bought a ring for a handtowel and a toilet paper holder from the same place.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
GMcKenzie

Please do.

I can't get in my trailer right now, but I'm thinking my shower door isn't smooth enough for suction cups. Still thinking something that hangs from the top off the door but am worried about the added weight of a couple of damp towels on the door frame.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
THedges

Not all TT bathrooms have the room, but I was able to attach a 3 bar towel rack to the back of the door. I also installed a shelf over the toilet to put folded towels.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
GMcKenzie

My over the toilet already has a cabinet. Good sized one too.

I've gotta pull my trailer forward to get into it but I'm thinking the main door as well.

I just liked the shower door idea. If I could figure out a way to drill through I'd do it.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
cumminsdad08

hang ours off the man door going in, seems to work fine while on the seat and all
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
Outbackmel

Shower galss walls

Have a separate suction hook for each of 3 bath towels. Uneven glass; no big
deal. We also have adjustable thin shower rod across the back top of the shower for wash cloths....could easy add another rod for towels...depends on space and your personal height....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Firecapt

Wink

I would be very careful with "over-the-door" towel/shoe/pocket racks. In my stick house, we put one on our master bathroom door and a closet door. Both caused the doors to warp due to the weight pull on the side the rack was on. In the case of the bathroom door, it warped the door so bad (wouldn't close/latch), I had to replace the door.

During the same learning period we did the same thing in our 5er. Had a towel rack on the shower door and now it is hard to open and close, even without anything on the rack.

We have discontinued this practice in both the stick house and RV since it seems obvious that the extra weight on one side of the door causes warp damage.

Something you might want to consider before installing these.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #17
cumminsdad08

didn't think of that, our house is really really really old and the doors never worked right anyhow, plus they are solid wood so it was never an issue, but with the hollow doors this would make sense. also the towles would most likely be wet hanging there and could see them warping the finsh too. i guess i will be removing mine now.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
wgb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
If the glass is tempered, holes cannot be drilled into it. Holes can be drilled into untempered glass.......very carefully. Then rubber grommets would need to need placed in the holes so screws would not contact the glass at all.
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
Copper Grier

Towel Holders for RV'ers

I had a friend I used to house-sit for in Solana Beach, CA who had the best thing I've found in decades. Goto the Hingeit.com site and check out these towel holders. They go right into the door hinges...NO DRILLING req'd!
Copper Grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
KyCamper

swing arm towel rack

Been wondering how to get extra towel storage so i bought a 4 bar swing arm towel rack at Ikea .....Grundtal $14.99. Have a Fuzion 395 and plan on mounting it in the stud in the corner over the toilet....haven't done that yet. When not in use it can be "swung" out of the way. Didn't feel comfortable using toggle bolts with just a regular straight towel bar but it probably would have been ok.
KyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote