Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
Kickin It

Battery Charger

In my old TT I would plug it up when it was parked to keep the battery charged. My new 5er has a residential fridge and whenever I plug it in the fridge turns on. I cannot figure out how to turn the fridge off, even flipped all the breakers of but didn't work. I was thinking I will just get a trickle charger for when its parked at the house. Is it worth the $40-50 for the battery tender or will the $20 Schumacher tender work just fine?

2015 Sprinter 304FWRKS, Reese Goose Box
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB dually 6.7L Cummins 4x4
Kickin It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Residential Frigs are 120v AC devices and require a separate inverter (12vDC to 120VAC) to provide 120VAC. I assume there is a switch so you can shut down the inverter which will turn off power to the Frig. If not that inverter will be a constant draw on the batteries and frig will be on. Maybe someone with a residential Frig will chime in. I am also interested how these Frig/inverter are shut off. Not sure you would want to be charging the batteries while an inverter is running.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Your refer has to be on a circuit that is controlled by a breaker. I would go back and trip the breakers one at a time watching the light in the fridge.

If it only goes off when you trip the main, then it's wired wrong IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

chuckster57, Are these residential Frigs not powered from an inverter and if so I would not expect that breaker to be among the normal breakers off the buss bar from the Power Panel ???? Do they have special power distribution panels to include a inverter and its output breaker?

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If the trailer has an inverter and the refer plug is powered by the inverter, then the fridge would be "on" all the time, draining the battery(s). I haven't seen any special panels with units that have an inverter, just a transfer switch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #6
Way Of Life

Have used the Battery Tender Jr. For several years now. Perfect for maintaining a full charge on the RV, motorcycle and the lawn mower battery. You can also use the included quick disconnect. Here is a link to them on Ebay for $25 and free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deltran-Batt..._Tools&vxp=mtr
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If the trailer has an inverter and the refer plug is powered by the inverter, then the fridge would be "on" all the time, draining the battery(s). I haven't seen any special panels with units that have an inverter, just a transfer switch.
If a rig has a residential Frig and no inverter. What is providing 120VAC to Frig when not connected to shore power? That was my point if can not shut off Frig would be a constant drain on batteries even when trying to charge them by whatever means.

Just text someone with a residential Frig which is powered by an inverter located in the storage compartment. They claim there is a switch inside with other control switches that turns off the inverter, thereby the Frig. They claim there are no breakers associated with the inverter other than that on the inverter itself. Hope this provides some info for the OP

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Battery Charger

If the trailer has a household fridge and no inverter, then the batteries CANNOT provide the 120VAC needed to operate it. The only time a household fridge will operate in an RV is either 120VAC shore power, an inverter or a 120VAC generator.

Some inverters do have a switch to turn them off, combination units (converter/inverter) have a multi position switch that allows it to "charge only" and not invert.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
Kickin It

ok Lots to read on that one guys. Thanks for the reply's first off. I did find the converter/inverter? that is in the belly storage. I pressed the button to turn it off but the lights in the refer stayed on. I flipped every breaker in the panel and the lights stayed on. There was talk about it being wired wrong? When I did the PDI he told me that if I ever got to the campground and the refer didn't work then I should check the GFCI that is next to the refer. I also tried to trip that to see if it would turn off, nothing. the only way I found to turn it off was to un-plug it from shore power. I may have to run it down to the local camping world and see what they say unless this explains more to the smarter than me crowd on here. Thanks again

Old 03-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If you unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet to "shut it down", you will still have power to your inverter. With it powered on, the primary coil in the transformer will eventually run down your batteries. There is "somewhere" a switch to shut down the inverter. Whether it's a power on/off switch on the inverter face or a relay operated switch on your trailer control panel (with the slide switches, awning switch, etc) .... Somewhere, there is that elusive "power switch" for the inverter. You shouldn't have to unplug the refrigerator to shut it down and even if you do, you're still powering the inverter. Keep looking or contact the dealership, there's another way to power it off.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet to "shut it down", you will still have power to your inverter. With it powered on, the primary coil in the transformer will eventually run down your batteries. There is "somewhere" a switch to shut down the inverter. Whether it's a power on/off switch on the inverter face or a relay operated switch on your trailer control panel (with the slide switches, awning switch, etc) .... Somewhere, there is that elusive "power switch" for the inverter. You shouldn't have to unplug the refrigerator to shut it down and even if you do, you're still powering the inverter. Keep looking or contact the dealership, there's another way to power it off.

Good Luck
yes

Copied this from a previous post of mine located in this thread,

Just text someone with a residential Frig which is powered by an inverter located in the storage compartment. They claim there is a switch inside with other control switches that turns off the inverter, thereby the Frig. They claim there are no breakers associated with the inverter other than that on the inverter itself. Hope this provides some info for the OP

Also as stated above trying to charge the batteries, by what ever means, while this inverter running may not be very effective,

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Kickin It

I would guess that if I turned the battery switch off when charging that it wont power the inverter. Would I be correct in that thought? I will try to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. If I don't charge the battery I cant hook it up to my truck, there has to be a way! This bad A fridge is creating a problem that I never thought of. Thanks for all reply's and I will post back when I figure something out.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
Dolsen

Sometimes there is a disconnect switch for the inverter next to the inverter. Or you can disconnect the battery cable from the inverter to the batteries. There is possibly a positive and negative cable from the inverter to the battery and another positive and negative cable that goes to the converter. There could possibly be a breaker also for the fridge depending on the inverter install. If this is the case you will need to disconnect the inverter and shut breaker off to shut down the fridge.
Dolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
master sprinter

Is this the main fridge? My main fridge is 3 way and the outdoor kitchen is 110v only. Don't have access to trailer right now to see how outside fridge wiring is set up.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Turbo Diesel/ Smarty Jr.
2015 Sprinter Campfire Edition
master sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Battery Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by master sprinter View Post
Is this the main fridge? My main fridge is 3 way and the outdoor kitchen is 110v only. Don't have access to trailer right now to see how outside fridge wiring is set up.

Your fridge is an RV fridge that can cool using 110VAC or 12VDC or propane. The OP's fridge is what you would find in a house. The only way it cools is 110VAC, supplied by either shore power or a generator or an inverter. Different animals.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #16
master sprinter

Quote:
His residential fridge may behave like my outdoor fridge, which I would guess has a dedicated 110v breaker somewhere.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
His residential fridge may behave like my outdoor fridge, which I would guess has a dedicated 110v breaker somewhere.
No, it's not wired the same as your outdoor refrigerator. When you unplug your RV from shore power, the refrigerator stops working. The OP's refrigerator, when shore power is removed, switches to inverter power and is operated by the battery/inverter system. His refrigerator power system is much more sophisticated then your outdoor refrigerator system power.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #18
master sprinter

Thanks, it is frustrating not to have your new trailer where you can tinker and get to know it yet! I have a pile of mods to do sitting in the garage.