Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Replacing Entertainment Center in 2004 3685fl

Good morning, hope everyone was able to see the moon sliver and only slightly smaller morning star on the horizon this morning. Made me excited to get out on the road, and test views like that against other horizons.

Anyway, I searched around, and could not find a thread about this topic, although read an interesting one about just replacing the television. Please point me to a thread if I missed one.

I am going to work from my rig on the road. I need to tear out the existing entertainment center on my front living model, and have something custom built that will work as an office. I posted a half pic of it. (on a side note, anyone ever dyed fabric couches before?)

I do not have the details worked out, but I am guessing it will be a counter top over the fireplace, possibly with a slide or piano hinge extension. I draw architecture plans, so need lots of room to spread out. There will be storage on the sides, similar to what is there now. Also, will probably have wall storage the width of the left side of the upper cabinets that are there. I have a cabinet maker coming who does work in rv's and we will figure out the details then.

The big question is the 55" television that I am going to mount, that will act as a second monitor to my laptop. Keystone will not send me structural drawings of the rig (anyone out there who has some, please let me know). Without knowing how the frame is assembled, I am having a hard time deciding the best way to mount the television.

My first though was to put horizontal framing, spanning and attaching to the existing vertical studs, screw a 3/4" sheet of plywood to that, and wall mount the television. I would have to fur that out because of the slope of the nose. Again, not knowing what the structure does in the nose, I am not sure if I should.

Second plan was to build a freestanding unit, so all the weight is on the floor, where the weight is now, and just tack it to the nose framing so it does not tip over. I could do something similar with plywood to mount the television to. Does it make more sense to use a surface base mount, and secure it with straps while traveling? I could possibly even bolt he base down, although have not looked closely at the one I have. Maybe there is an after market base with bolt holes, or I could have on fabricated.

My third idea is a motorized lift behind the fireplace. I have seen these before, but not sure if I have the room, and am not sure about the weight of to unit. Also, probably more expensive, and will cut into my lower cabinet storage.

So, that was a super long post, to ask if anyone else has done this project before, or if anyone has any ideas about the different options I talked about. Thanks so much for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140110_130048.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	4896  
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Phase one, tore out the old CRT.... Literally, it had screws right into the plastic, some of which were stripped. Depending on the quote from my millwork guy, I may work with this setup for a while. Just buy a smaller television that fits in the existing hole, that can double as a second monitor. Maybe an appliance garage door to hide it all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140204_094158.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	4947  
Old 02-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
abneynormal

for a monitor

make sure your tv has the 9 pin port in the side/back. most will tell on the box if they can be used as a monitor. note hdmi is not for computer use. good luck with your project
Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
make sure your tv has the 9 pin port in the side/back. most will tell on the box if they can be used as a monitor. note hdmi is not for computer use. good luck with your project
Hdmi is not supposed to be used with computers? I only ask, because I have hooked my ASUS ROG up to the t.v. with hdmi before, and am now worried that I am breaking something?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
denverpilot

Many modern computers have HDMI outputs and many modern monitors for computers have HDMI inputs. (Almost all pro line HP machines and accessories for example.) Works fine.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

My 2003 HP Media Center computer has HDMI and 23 pin digital connections to the monitor (it also has a digital TV tuner in it)and is capable of being used with a "large screen TV/monitor. My new HP replacement also has HDMI connections. My Toshiba laptop has one HDMI port. All of my monitors (4) have HDMI input ports. I'd have to suspect that the "old technology" was a 9 pin monitor connection (this was on my old CRT monitors) that was later upgraded to a 23 pin digital connection and can be augmented (or also connected) by using an HDMI cable. I don't know if the HDMI cable will carry as much information as the 23 pin digital cable as I have not tried to connect with HDMI.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
superbob

HDMI - can carry digital video and digital audio signals
DVI - can carry digital video signal
VGA - analog video signal

Most modern TV's can handle HDMI from your computer. I have a 42" plasma at home hooked up to my computer. In my trailer I have hooked up a laptop to the TV. Hopefully this helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hdmidvivga.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	4971  
1997 Glastron Fish n Ski 3.0l
superbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbob View Post
HDMI - can carry digital video and digital audio signals
DVI - can carry digital video signal
VGA - analog video signal

Most modern TV's can handle HDMI from your computer. I have a 42" plasma at home hooked up to my computer. In my trailer I have hooked up a laptop to the TV. Hopefully this helps
Found a Samsung today with built in wireless? Have not bought it, but think I will