Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
sjturbo

Next mod, Refer vent fan?

Since we boondock often I have been thinking about the refrigerator vent fan mod that I have seen on the net. Has anyone tried this and what are your impressions? I know there are "kits" available but I'm more the un-kit kinda guy. I have seen computer style fans used with thermostat switches and wondered if there is a specific temp range that people are using for the switch. Can anyone point to old threads where I might get additional ideas?
Thanks!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
KanTC

Try this one for starters: http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11098

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have a Dometic refrigerator installed, chances are it already has a fan installed. In 2008 or 2009 (I can't remember which) Dometic started shipping all their 6 cuft and 8 cuft LP/110 refrigerators with fans. It seems that they were having problems with manufacturers installing refrigerators without fans in slides and they weren't cooling properly. So, Dometic's "fix" was to just start adding the cooling fan to all refrigerators shipped from the factory. Double check yours, if you have a red 16 gage wire leading from the "black box" up toward the cooling fins with a fuse holder about midway up, then you already have the fan.

I don't know when Norcold started shipping with fans, but you should have one already installed if yours is a Dometic.

FYI: since your refrigerator is installed with a roof vent, you really won't see any improved cooling until the outside ambient temperature goes over about 90*F. All of the Dometic refrigerators were installed without the fan until kitchen slides came along. Since about 1960 or so, they have worked well without fans (provided they have the roof vent). It was only after the designers started calling for refrigerators to be installed in slides and the sidewall vents were necessary that cooling fans were required. If you boondock a lot, you probably wouldn't want a fan operating anyway. It will deplete your battery faster (even though it's only a small drain on the battery, it is a drain and reduces dry camping time).

Check and see if you have one installed, it will only operate when the ambient temp is above a specific range as determined by the thermistor, so it probably won't turn on until sometime next summer, but you can see it mounted above the rear cooling fins if it's installed. Check for the red wire first, it's easier to see.

Here's hoping

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
sjturbo

Thanks for the feedback. The 5er is a 2010 and Dometic so it may have the fan already. Since it has been mostly raining for the last 48 hours and is scheduled to continue I will wait until it lets up. I will check for the wiring.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
poncho62

Check on the popup trailer sites....A lot of those guys install fans, as they dont have chimneys on their fridges

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
Bushman512000

Fan

I have hooked up a small computer fan in the fridge vent area and have the had no problem with it .I can run it any time needed uses very little elec. but moves a fair amount of air .I thought it would help cooling in hot weather .It is about 4x4" in size I got it at a flea market...Bushman sorry no pic. 5er in storage
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
mguay

My 316RL didn't have the fan. As you know I see nowhere near the summer temps that you do but I installed an internal and external fan in mine and have noticed the fridge cools better.
The internal one is from eBay and is the dual computer fan setup on the cooling coil. It grabs power from the light and I put it on a switch for the times that it is not needed.
The external one is the one that helped the most. I found that when the outside temps got above 80...there was a huge heat transfer to the inside of the rig through the back of the cabinet above the fridge. I removed the back panel of that cabinet, which is the top of the "chimney" of the fridge. I installed the fan in that area above the coil and below the roof. I then put "Refletix" insulation on the back of the panel and sealed it back in with caulk. The fan is the "boat bilge" style that has a switch and is thermostat controlled.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
sjturbo

Thanks mguay! It has stopped raining so I should have a chance to check out the wiring as JRTJH suggested. I'm not familiar with the boat bilge style pump, can you point me to a link or pic please?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjturbo View Post
Thanks mguay! It has stopped raining so I should have a chance to check out the wiring as JRTJH suggested. I'm not familiar with the boat bilge style pump, can you point me to a link or pic please?
GOOGLE is your friend. If you search for "12v Bilge Fan" you will find many including pictures. Computer fans can be found the same way and probably use less power and bilge fans will most likely be louder.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjturbo View Post
Sorry...brain cramp!

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2...frigerator+fan

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Refrigera...93a6b0&vxp=mtr