Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #21
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout17 View Post
Ohhhh geeeez, here it is simply. Half tons can only tow tent trailers and nothing else, they are worthless for towing. Anything up to a fifth wheel needs a 3/4 ton. Any fifth wheel needs a one ton period but a 4500 series is better. So in closing get a one ton with only a diesel

I sure hope you are kidding. The 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with tow package towed my 238ML like a breeze. I was well under my payload, axle, and GVWR limits on both the TT and TV. With the exception of the reduced gas mileage and the blocked reserve view when towing I never even knew it was back there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #22
LFord

Quote:
Ohhhh geeeez, here it is simply. Half tons can only tow tent trailers and nothing else, they are worthless for towing. Anything up to a fifth wheel needs a 3/4 ton. Any fifth wheel needs a one ton period but a 4500 series is better. So in closing get a one ton with only a diesel
I disagree. I tow a Passport 199ML (3600 EW) with a 2013 Ford F-150 Supercab that has the 3.5L Ecoboost turbo engine (365 HP, 420 lb/ft torque) with a tow rating of 8600 lbs. and payload of 1744 lb. Although I'm solo I've towed the 199ML at a GW over 4000 lbs in the mountains and the truck handled it quite well. Last time I checked, it was considered a "half-ton" truck. It has an Equalizer WDH installed.

Now, if the TT were longer/heavier or a fifth wheel, I'd be moving up to an F-250 Super Duty, but my F-150 does fine for what I'm towing now.
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #23
Carrottop

Quote:
That is about as incorrect as they come. No wonder some new comers get frustrated and leave. Many 1/2 tonnes can pull a TT with no problem provided they are within the specs of that truck, to make a blanket statement such as that is not helpful to anyone who is trying to configure the right setup. I pull a 217exp 25ft TT with a dry weight of 4800lbs with my 09 F150 and it has yet breath hard doing it. Yes it is configured right with a WD sway control hitch.
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #24
robnrobin

I just pulled our new ( to us ) 2013 Passport 238ML home last week with my 2009 Silverado 1/2 ton 5.3. I had to pull it over the Santiam pass here in Oregon and it was no problem at all! I feel like all my research on getting the right trailer for my truck and family paid off. Oh and I used the weight distribution hitch the seller through in.
robnrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #25
Hideout17

Sorry been gone for a while. Yes I was kidding when I posted that. My opinion is if you are comfortable with it then go with it. I tow a 31ft hideout with m y tundra. A lot of tow police pretty much say what I posted....again just a joke lol
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #26
faturner

Thanks for all of the advice and info. After many months of research and searches I just purchased my tow vehicle. I bought a Chevy 2014 Silverado Double Cab with the trailering package, transmission cooler and rear end at 3.42. 5.3 V8. Drives wonderful. Can’t wait till we get to hook it up to the rv.

Next question:

In the glove box is a wiring harness labeled trailer brake system. There is not a factory controller installed in the left side of the dash, just the little “catch all” in place of the controller. Can I get a factory controller and replace the cutout in the dash so it stays “factory”?
faturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #27
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by faturner View Post
Thanks for all of the advice and info. After many months of research and searches I just purchased my tow vehicle. I bought a Chevy 2014 Silverado Double Cab with the trailering package, transmission cooler and rear end at 3.42. 5.3 V8. Drives wonderful. Can’t wait till we get to hook it up to the rv.

Next question:

In the glove box is a wiring harness labeled trailer brake system. There is not a factory controller installed in the left side of the dash, just the little “catch all” in place of the controller. Can I get a factory controller and replace the cutout in the dash so it stays “factory”?
Yes you can get factory trailer brake controller installed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #28
Tbos

Quote:

Next question:

At one time I had the same truck and TT combo. Your truck will hardly know the TT is there. It’s a good match.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #29
busterbrown

^^^^^^I agree. Your new TV will do the job easily. Congrats.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #30
linux3

Quote:
Next question:
I don't know about your truck but I bought "Off the lot" and added an after market brake controller. There is no way a factory BC can be installed.
Well, if you replace a few computers and such I guess. No dealer would even talk about it and the Silverado forum I subscribe to has the tales of woe from a few people who tried it.
I'm pretty sure the plug is to connect an after market brake controller.
I don't want to start a religious war here but I like the Tekonsha Primus IQ.
I unstalled it just to the left of the steering column. JMHO.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I don't know about your truck but I bought "Off the lot" and added an after market brake controller. There is no way a factory BC can be installed.
Well, if you replace a few computers and such I guess. No dealer would even talk about it and the Silverado forum I subscribe to has the tales of woe from a few people who tried it.
I'm pretty sure the plug is to connect an after market brake controller.
I don't want to start a religious war here but I like the Tekonsha Primus IQ.
I unstalled it just to the left of the steering column. JMHO.
I'm not sure what GM does for a factory controller but all I've had were factory made into the dash. I'm not sure how you would do that "after the fact" without a new dash. Maybe it can be done......?

I have had a Primus IQ and they are a good brake controller if the harness is just to "plug and play" an aftermarket controller into.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Next question:

Take a look at this link. It's from the GM Advanced Automotive Diagnostics website. Apparently, according to them, unless your truck was built with option RPO JL1, it can not be added.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/6736/pit5241d-...-chevrolet-gmc

I'd suspect that the connector and wiring you found in the glove compartment is the plug and wiring to connect an aftermarket brake controller to the truck's wiring harness.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle