Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
rsl

Another Winterizing Question

We are going to be using our RV Thanksgiving week then doing the unfortunate of winterizing after that (with the pink stuff). However the temps here have dropped, Thursday Hi 57 Lo 42, Friday High 42 Lo 27, Saturday High 39 Lo 34, Sunday High 51 Lo 45. So my question is I know it wont hurt but for that short a time and temp not being that far below freezing do I need to worry about anything freezing up?

Do I just need to,
A. Not worry about it because that will be fine,
B. Turn on Hot Water Heater and set gas furnace at about 40 degrees to keep everything good to go, or
C. Drain the Hot water heater and blow out the water lines with air?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The residual heat from solar gain during the day will probably keep your RV from freezing for the couple of hours at or just below 32F. Either of your options, turning on the furnace and water heater or draining the water heater and blowing out the lines will work, but if I were "in your shoes" I'd just turn on the furnace and put the water heater on electric (assuming you have shore power available). If you don't have shore power, I'd rethink running the furnace (big battery drain), chances are you'll wind up with a dead battery and still be subjected to the cold temps that usually occur "just before dawn".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If you drains your lines and blow them out, don't forget to blow out the toilet valve. Forgot mine last year. Won't do that again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
rsl

Shore power is available and again this would not be for the season, this would just be to get through the couple nights of 27 degree temp while parked waiting for our last trip of the season.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
If you drains your lines and blow them out, don't forget to blow out the toilet valve. Forgot mine last year. Won't do that again!

Do you need to take the valve out to get all of the water out?
Old 11-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Do you need to take the valve out to get all of the water out?
I did it by my self last year and needed a second pair of hands as the blowout valve I had last year needed to be hand held to the nipple. This year I have one that stays attached. Last year I could only either hold the hose or push the flush pedal down.....but not both.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

OP,

Follow John's advice. You should have no issues. It won't be that cold and it won't be cold for long. If you are really worried just turn off the water at the faucet and open the faucets in the trailer to allow for any expansion from freezing (at those temps there should not be a problem)
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I did it by my self last year and needed a second pair of hands as the blowout valve I had last year needed to be hand held to the nipple. This year I have one that stays attached. Last year I could only either hold the hose or push the flush pedal down.....but not both.

I did the same last year. Just pushed the foot pedal until the water came out, but didn't take out the toilet valve. I replaced the toilet over the summer and it mentioned draining the valve, but no specifics.

I think winterizing in my area is not the norm, but we get some freezing temps every few years.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
Tbos

I'm having an issue getting my Fresh water tank to drain all the way. I have open the drain and a lot of water came out. However when I turn on the pump I get more water out of the tank. I have also opened the hot and cold drains near the HWH. I didn't have this issue last year. After draining the lines and HWH I was able to blow it all out but never ran the pump except when the lines were disconnected. Does anyone have any ideas?

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I'm having an issue getting my Fresh water tank to drain all the way. I have open the drain and a lot of water came out. However when I turn on the pump I get more water out of the tank. I have also opened the hot and cold drains near the HWH. I didn't have this issue last year. After draining the lines and HWH I was able to blow it all out but never ran the pump except when the lines were disconnected. Does anyone have any ideas?

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

I'm not sure I follow. You drain the fresh water tank and it empties. Then you turn on the pump and it pumps some water out....it will. It will pump out what's in the feeder line to the pump, depending on routing, along with any water from the pump to the distribution lines in the RV. Does that make sense?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
travelin texans

If you drain your toilet be sure to put rv antifreeze in the bowl or the seal with dry out & not hold water next season.
If your days are above freezing the lows will only be a clue hours before daylight so I would do nothing for upcoming trip.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not sure I follow. You drain the fresh water tank and it empties. Then you turn on the pump and it pumps some water out....it will. It will pump out what's in the feeder line to the pump, depending on routing, along with any water from the pump to the distribution lines in the RV. Does that make sense?

It does except the pump is next to the tank and I'm talking about several gallons of water being pumped out of the tank. I've now blown out all the lines and ran the pump with input and output disconnected to make sure there is no water in the pump. The pink will go in the toilet bowl and all the traps. Hopefully whatever may be left if anything in the FW tank won't be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Tbos,

It almost sounds like the bottom of your tank may be deformed and not completely draining. Maybe it is installed "twisted" or with a "rise of some kind" between the drain and the pump water pickup???? I'd get as much water as possible out of the fresh water tank and not worry about it. If it does freeze, it shouldn't cause any damage. Think about how a plastic ice cube tray works. As the water freezes and expands, it expands "up toward the open area" without causing any damage to the sides of the ice cube tray. Probably the same will happen to your fresh water tank, but I'd get out as much as possible, just to be sure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Javi

As a note... I always run the pump for 4 - 5 minutes after I drain all water from the tank... granted my pump is more than 30 feet from the FW tank but it isn't unusual for me to drain another gallon or two from the low point drains after running the water pump...

Tags
winter, winterizing