Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Jberndt10

Batteries

First time using our new Passport with battery only. First of all we were confused by 2 sets of wires for the battery. Secondly 2 fully charged batteries each only lasted about 36 hours. Used for lights and water pump. Gas for water heater and fridge. Batteries were fully charged. Any ideas?
Jberndt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberndt10 View Post
First time using our new Passport with battery only. First of all we were confused by 2 sets of wires for the battery. Secondly 2 fully charged batteries each only lasted about 36 hours. Used for lights and water pump. Gas for water heater and fridge. Batteries were fully charged. Any ideas?
What do you mean by "2 sets of wires"? If each battery gave you 36 hours, I would say that is pretty good. You can always plug into TV and charge (running)
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Without knowing your set up I am going by assumption based on your statement "2 sets of wires" and Two batteries.

If you have 2 12V batteries, then the proper way to wire them up is to join the batteries in parallel, meaning both positives are attached and both negatives are attached to each other (+ to +) and (- to -). Then the leads to the trailer should be attached with the positive lead on one battery and the negative lead on the other battery. Some dealers will put the trailer leads on one battery and then just jumper the batteries together.

Are your lights LED or incandescent? Water heater will use some battery for DSI ignition, fridge will use some battery for control board and DSI ignition, water pump will use battery when running and if you have an illuminated switch, it will use battery when turned on.

Without knowing what size batteries you have, And how they are connected, I would say with incandescent lighting, water pump and appliances, you did good if you got 36 hrs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Jberndt10

I'm pretty sure we have LED LIGHTS. We used one battery at a time. We used to get a solid week on a battery with our Jayco. We have been recharging from the truck.if I didn't mention it and it makes any difference this is a travel trailer.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we have LED LIGHTS. We used one battery at a time. We used to get a solid week on a battery with our Jayco. We have been recharging from the truck.if I didn't mention it and it makes any difference this is a travel trailer.
What kind of Jayco was your old trailer? A week seems like an oddly long time. I've said this before, I'm no electrician, but I think you get more amp hours in parallel than using them single. I may very well be mistaken. If I am someone will correct me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
Jberndt10

Jayfeather 23 ft hybrid, now have a 2670 bh. If someone could send a link of what "parallel " set up looks like, that would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
If someone could send a link of what "parallel " set up looks like, that would be great. Thanks.
Here you go.....
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
canesfan

36 hours on a typical 12V deep cycle RV battery is a pretty good deal in general. A week is pretty amazing.