Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
David T. MacNeill

Cool Roadside assistance services compared

We have basic roadside service through our insurance company (USAA) and when I was traveling for work had been using AAA Premium for several years. Just joined Good Sam for the Camping World discounts and gas/propane discounts and they are telling us that we should switch from AAA to Good Sam Roadside Assistance, now that we are pulling a fifth wheel.

This is tempting — it's $70 a year versus over $200 for USAA Premium+RV — and I like the idea that they are more likely to be aware of the kinds of unique situations pulling a large RV can entail out on the long and winding road. Anybody have experience, positive or negative, with Good Sam's Roadside Assistance service?
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
cjm

I've used them for several years, with a couple of calls for service. All in all I've been happy with them, and for what they cover, the price is great!
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
theeyres

Can't say anything about your current provider but we just switched to Good Sam because they provide coverage for all our cars and trailer for a fraction of the cost. The reviews for Good Sam coverage are all as positive, or more so, for any other service.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have Good Sam plus 2 other roadside assistance plans. Good Sam seems to be a good deal. AAA isn't worth the money - way too may problems when traveling across the country. Don't know about USAA.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 PM   #5
David T. MacNeill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have Good Sam plus 2 other roadside assistance plans.
Just read some good things about Coach-Net. Are you signed up with them?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 AM   #6
canesfan

I had Good Sam several years ago. Tried to use them two times. Once to change a tire and I now forget the other issue. Both times total fail. Would never recommend them after my experience. Switched to Coach Net through my RV insurance, it's something around $80 a year and covers all our family vehicles. Have used them a couple times and service was excellent. One time I had a flat and the guy that came out asked if I'd rather he plug the brand new tire then and there than put on the crappy spare, which I know wasn't part of the coverage. Always expected a bill but never got one. Would highly recommend.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:41 AM   #7
Eastham

I had good sam for 25 yrs the last two times i tried to use then they were terribly 4 tires were slashed in driveway they said it was vandalism and wount cover the tow.other time brake heated up.left on side of major hiway told it would be 4 hrs before tow truck could get there.we were paying $219 for platinum service and received nothing from them At one time they were excellent but i personally cant recommend then any more.I cancelled and went with another provider. In 25 yrs i might of called 6 times so it wasnt excessive use.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 AM   #8
notanlines

We use Geico roadside assistance for very little more on our policies. We used it once when broken down in Mankato, Minnesota. It was Sunday afternoon and nobody wanted to tow our rig. Geico finally found a large towing company but they wouldn't take any of the policies like Good Sams or Geico either. We paid them the $225.00 and Geico had us a check in less than a week.
Our neighbor in Florida had a flat on his Montana in the RV park and called State Farm. State Farm called the locals in Clewiston to fix it and they all told State Farm to sit on it. They weren't coming out for the $40.00 State Farm pays. I understand this is a fairly common reaction. He finally borrowed my jack and fixed himself.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Tbos

Geico won't cover roadside assistance on my dually. They said it's too expensive.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Geico won't cover roadside assistance on my dually. They said it's too expensive.

You might talk to them again... mine is covered.

Javi
Old 06-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
Just read some good things about Coach-Net. Are you signed up with them?

I don't have Coach Net. I've heard good and bad (probably more good) but haven't felt the need to try them because I just don't ever use it.

I've tried to use Good Sam a couple of times; once everything was fine the 2nd they said it would be 4 hrs before someone could help us. On that occasion I also tried Geico and they said the same thing. Of course, where we were there were very few folks that would have been able to respond and they were both trying to draw from the same pool of vendors.

I also carry the policy from Good Sam that will come get your RV and return it for you if something happens to you as well as getting everyone/everything home (Good Sam Travel Assist). In addition we carry AirMedCare that gives you free aerial transportation if required. May never use them but they might come in handy at some point. The older I get the less it seems like I'm throwing my money away
Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You might talk to them again... mine is covered.

Javi

I'll ask. When I bought it and transferred it to my policy they said they wouldn't cover it. I thought that was a little odd.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I'll ask. When I bought it and transferred it to my policy they said they wouldn't cover it. I thought that was a little odd.

I didn't know if it makes a difference but I deal with the RV side of Geico... different sales people and everyone I've talked to there seems to be have a reasonable knowledge of RV needs.

Javi
Old 06-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Hansel

I had Good Sam for a year, or so but then they sent a renewal for almost $120 so I switched back too AAA because for a few dollars more I have coverage of 2 truck and my camper. So beware that $70 is only for the first year after that it could increase,
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
dcg9381

Quote:
This is tempting — it's $70 a year versus over $200 for USAA Premium+RV — and I like the idea that they are more likely to be aware of the kinds of unique situations pulling a large RV can entail out on the long and winding road. Anybody have experience, positive or negative, with Good Sam's Roadside Assistance service?
My USAA policy is farmed out to progressive. I thought that any time I was using the truck to pull a trailer, the roadside service of the trailer was covered also.. It's not entirely clear on the USAA pages.

USAA farms out to progressive. I pay $12/year for roadside assistance through Progressive for the 5th wheel.

I've had to use Progressive's roadside assistance once and it was a pretty crappy experience - 32' Class-C needed a tow to a tire facility. It took Progressive about 2 hours to find a company that could tow it from the nearest metro area. By that time, I had parked at Walmart, bought a jack and changed the tire to the spare myself.

The "catch" with any of these companies is that they are only as good as their local contracts with the actual service providers. My guess is that many are the same as they all contract out to the same local wrecker/vendors. I've read about Good Sam / etc stories on similar issues when rural and driving a big motorhome or something that needed big-rig towing equipment.

CoachNet and Good Sam may have better customer service around understanding towing issues, but I'd expect them to be dependent on their contracts with local service providers.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #16
Eastham

Platinum road service with good sam covers your cars and rv plus tow vehicles it was $219.00 i dont know what $70.00 dollars is going to get you but you can bet it wont stay at 70..00 when the regular price is $219.00.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #17
David T. MacNeill

Thanks for all the great feedback. We're leaning towards signing up with Coach.Net. Their reputation seems impeccable and our Montana and our F-250 are both older models (2001).
Old 06-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #18
Eastham

After having good sam for 25 yrs and my last few experiences i m now with coach net.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
I had Good Sam for a year, or so but then they sent a renewal for almost $120 so I switched back too AAA because for a few dollars more I have coverage of 2 truck and my camper. So beware that $70 is only for the first year after that it could increase,
You need to really check into AAA and their coverage. We dumped them because their coverage wasn't as good as others, cost more and most importantly, changed from state to state or region if I recall. Towing distances were much less too if I recall as well.