Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
msubobcats

need weight/length advice for son in law

Not sure here but I think they bought too much travel trailer...
They just bought a new Forest River 273qbxl TT. Its weight empty is listed at about 6100#. The hitch is about 700#. The length is 33'8"...
He has (I believe) a 2013 Chev 1500 extended cab standard bed 4x4. I believe the XLT. Not sure of the motor but might be the 6.2. I am.....Hopefully the 6.2 because the 5.3 would probably not be sufficient. Wish I was more sure of his TV but they are in Coeur D'Alene and we are not.

They bought it mainly to live in it. The house they are renting is now on the market and they will be looking at buying a home. But they will do some camping.

8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

Not really enough truck info but I think they are going to be cold and broke heating with propane in ID.
I towed 7000# with an F150 EB with no problem and thinking they may be OK with the Chevy.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
GaryWT

It is possible that they will be ok but without more info it is tough. Payload info would help as well as tow capacity. They will most like have to watch what they pack and keep the truck light but many people tow close to their limits with 150's and 1500's.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Unfortunately, the figures that you provided are, for the most part, "best guesses"; and, others (such as the TT's length and TT Dry Weight) aren't really "need to know" information. I realize that you are in one place and your son-in-law in another but based on the "fuzzy" information provided, I would be very hesitant to give any advice.

I'd suggest that you obtain the figures found on the sticker (door) of the tow vehicle and the sticker on the TT. Without knowing exactly what these (TT GVWR) for example) weights are, any advice would be "just a guess" as well. When you have the numbers obtained from the manufacturers' stickers, post them here then we can provide some advice for you which is based on actual figures.