Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
kronik

filling fresh water tank

hi we bought a 2014 cougar xlite 28rdb and it looks like I need pressure to fill my fresh water tank as it is the same connection as city.it has a handle to turn to switch from city to tank fill.we have a seasonal with no water .wondering how other people fill there tanks or is this something new.our 2013 hideout had a cap and I filled the tank with jerry cans.any help would be great thanks.
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm sort of confused about your question. Not how you asked it, but the fact that your Cougar XLite has a pressure water tank fill. My 2014 has a gravity fill located at the same place as the city water connection. I checked some pictures online of the 28RDB and they all show the same type connection as I have on mine. Here is a picture of what "should" be on the rear of your trailer. In the lower left corner is a panel with two connections, the right one is the city water and the left one is the gravity water fill. If this is not what you have, could you take a picture of your RV panel and post it?

Good luck,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cougar rear water connection.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	5169  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
GaryWT

I read another post about this situation. I guess there is a one way valve or something as well. It was discussed that if you are not connected to water to fill the tank then a pump would be needed to be connected to the trailer and suck water from the jugs.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
kronik

hi ya we looked at ones the way yours is then found this one we like,except now it has this water fill.check out this lin it is the exact traier as ours.mine is buried in a snow bank.i don't know if mine is late production or what all literature is of yours.
http://www.generalrv.com/product/new...-28rdb-56416-5
Old 03-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

From one of those photos (the blue valve handle) it looks as if you will need some type of pump to fill from the city water inlet. Must be a late model change. Not my idea of an improvement.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Apparently Keystone (in their infinite wisdom) elected to change the outdoor shower/city/tank water fill station between May/June of last year when mine was built and the time yours was built. From the looks of that setup, as Hank says, you'll need a pump to fill the water tank. You might want to discuss with your dealer and see if he can offer any solutions. I can think of a couple of ways to modify the system to add a gravity fill, but it will take some ingenuity and disassembly to accomplish. Unless you're ready to start "hacking away" at your new trailer, I'd suggest seeing what the dealer might come up with.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
kronik

this is not my idea of an improvement either,i don't know where they think people camp but I don't camp in the city close to a tap and if I did I wouldn't need a fresh water tank.you would think if they did this they would provide a pump with the unit to fill.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Javi

While I whole heartedly agree that not having a gravity fill for your freshwater tank is pretty darn silly... you can pick up a very good 12V transfer pump for well under a $100 and it should easily solve the problem.

Not a bad thing to have around even if you're trailer was equipped with a gravity fill, those cans can get heavy after a while.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
unyalli

Some numbskull at Keystone must be getting promoted. Do you have the infamous touch panel? That was a disaster also and no longer exists.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Some numbskull at Keystone must be getting promoted. Do you have the infamous touch panel? That was a disaster also and no longer exists.

Jeff
No, fortunately we have a panel with rocker switches and "nothing magic" to make it work.... Unfortunately, for some Cougar owners, that panel still does exist Hopefully, Keystone will come to terms with their failed "improvement" and create a program to replace those panels... But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

Improvements..... these are two examples of a mousetrap that isn't better.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
theasphaltrv'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
hi we bought a 2014 cougar xlite 28rdb and it looks like I need pressure to fill my fresh water tank as it is the same connection as city.it has a handle to turn to switch from city to tank fill.we have a seasonal with no water .wondering how other people fill there tanks or is this something new.our 2013 hideout had a cap and I filled the tank with jerry cans.any help would be great thanks.
Good Afternoon;
Letting you know to go over to the General RVing Issue section and check out "Filling Fresh Water Tank with No Gravity Fill ". Canesfan & I have been exchanging ideas and we finally figured out how to gravity fill by using the vent hole. I tried it today and it worked like like a charm.

Milo
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote