Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Andymon

Above the freezer?

Anyone know what's in the space above the freezer in our 266? It looks like a good space to use. I don't want to knock out the panel if there's wiring or a vent pipe in there.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
billb800si

Let's see- if you remove the frig panel outside you'll find the frig wiring & ammonia tubes and gas burner. Our frig's work off of heating the ammonia gas. You DON'T want to block the frig vent located behind the freezer compartment that exhausts outside. If you block that area then the efficiency of the frig drops dramatically and you could build up dangerous gases back there.
Be very careful.................

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Let's see- if you remove the frig panel outside you'll find the frig wiring & ammonia tubes and gas burner. Our frig's work off of heating the ammonia gas. You DON'T want to block the frig vent located behind the freezer compartment that exhausts outside. If you block that area then the efficiency of the frig drops dramatically and you could build up dangerous gases back there.
Be very careful.................
thanks for the reply. Here's a pic of the spot above the freezer that I am/was hoping to use as more storage.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 11-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
outwest

looks to me like they allowed for taller refrigerators when creating the hole and simply filled it in. Not having that model of trailer, though, it's hard to say.

On our older trailer (84 Avion) there was a cabinet above the fridge. The only problem was that it stayed a bit warmer in it than the other upper cabinets. Figured it was due to heat from the fridge radiating upward. Well, that and when fridge had to be replaced the new one had issues with keeping food at proper temps in warmer (90F+) weather, even with fan kit installed. But that's another issue...

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
therink

In my rig, there is cabinet storage directly above my fridhe/freezer. I don't know exact depth, but I can fit a roll of paper towels in it lying down. My guess is that the space in yours is empty as well.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
f6bits

I'd open it and look…which is what I've done to every single panel in my trailer. It's quite enlightening.

Speaking of storage, I have a cabinet below my oven. It looks like yours is a panel as well.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I'd open it and look…which is what I've done to every single panel in my trailer. It's quite enlightening.

Speaking of storage, I have a cabinet below my oven. It looks like yours is a panel as well.
My only concern is that the pane has been stapled from the inside so getting the panel back in might not be an easy thing. I just don't want to bang it out and then go....dang!

The panel below my oven contains the water heater.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR