Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2023, 04:51 PM   #1
wmsnyder

Hot water on cold side of faucet

I have a sprinter 25ml and hot water runs on cold side of faucet for probably 30 seconds to a minute before the cold starts. The dealer told me this is normal but I have never had this issue on any other RVs I have owned. It happens on kitchen and bathroom faucets but seems to be more prevalent on kitchen one.
wmsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:14 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

It is NOT normal. You may have a sticky one way valve on the water heater. Or the bypass valve may not be turned all the way. Either way, your dealer is trying to skirt the issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:19 PM   #3
RollaMo

Nope, not normal at all.

If a dealer is telling you that, it is time to stop trusting anything they tell you.

In addition to the items chuckster mentioned, if you have an outside shower.
Make sure the hot/cold valves are closed. Not just on the shower head, but but the actual water valves.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:32 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Nope, not normal at all.

If a dealer is telling you that, it is time to stop trusting anything they tell you.

In addition to the items chuckster mentioned, if you have an outside shower.
Make sure the hot/cold valves are closed. Not just on the shower head, but but the actual water valves.
Good catch, I forget about that since I don’t use it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:37 PM   #5
LHaven

Though keep in mind that your "cold" water is going to come out whatever temperature your hose is at, until the water already in the hose is used up. Here in Arizona, in the summer, this is precisely the behavior we see, and it is perfectly normal.

In fact, in the summer, many residential families in the cities get their hot water "off the street" from the cold tap, and turn their water heaters off so they will have a source of "cold water" from the hot tap, drawing from the tank in their air-conditioned house!
Old 11-13-2023, 08:23 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Though keep in mind that your "cold" water is going to come out whatever temperature your hose is at, until the water already in the hose is used up. Here in Arizona, in the summer, this is precisely the behavior we see, and it is perfectly normal.

In fact, in the summer, many residential families in the cities get their hot water "off the street" from the cold tap, and turn their water heaters off so they will have a source of "cold water" from the hot tap, drawing from the tank in their air-conditioned house!
Exactly!
The resort we're in treats all our water by RO then is stored in aboveground stainless tanks. By late summer the cold water is by far hotter than the water heater supplies & I do shut off the water heater for that reason.
But it's NOT normal for your rv to run hot momentarily regardless what your rv dealer may have said, they have but thing on their mind, sell you whatever & as much as they can & will tell you whatever it takes to git'er done.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:32 AM   #7
Max23

Is it possible that they ran the lines so close to the water heater that it is absorbing the heat and causes the momentary burst of hot water? Agree, still should be taken care of but could this be the issue?
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 12:12 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Is it possible that they ran the lines so close to the water heater that it is absorbing the heat and causes the momentary burst of hot water? Agree, still should be taken care of but could this be the issue?
WH should be wrapped in styrofoam from the factory.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:22 PM   #9
wmsnyder

Yes it is.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:12 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsnyder View Post
Yes it is.
Sir, makes a lot of sense to quote what you are responding to so the discussion can be followed more easily. Just a suggestion. BTW: Your dealer is speaking with a forked tongue. You should not be getting warm out of a cold tap. During the summer, as has been noted, water out of the cold tap will be warmer than in cold weather but not to the degree you mention. Look on the back of your water heater and ensure the bypass valve is completely in the not bypass orientation.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:38 PM   #11
wmsnyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Sir, makes a lot of sense to quote what you are responding to so the discussion can be followed more easily. Just a suggestion. BTW: Your dealer is speaking with a forked tongue. You should not be getting warm out of a cold tap. During the summer, as has been noted, water out of the cold tap will be warmer than in cold weather but not to the degree you mention. Look on the back of your water heater and ensure the bypass valve is completely in the not bypass orientation.
I thought I edited that post but guess not. The valves were totally in correct position, this photo is after winterizing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	45688
Old 11-19-2023, 01:57 PM   #12
tlist809

do you have an outside H/C spigot? it could be on allowing the hot water to the other side. That is if the push in water hose is not connected.
tlist809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 04:37 PM   #13
Docar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsnyder View Post
I have a sprinter 25ml and hot water runs on cold side of faucet for probably 30 seconds to a minute before the cold starts. The dealer told me this is normal but I have never had this issue on any other RVs I have owned. It happens on kitchen and bathroom faucets but seems to be more prevalent on kitchen one.
I don’t know if this helps,
The most common reason and the easiest to fix is…
If you have an external shower outside and you have a hose connected with a shut off nossle,
You can have both hot and cold knobs on. Although there is no flow of water, the hot and cold systems are connected.
This will cause the problem and is easy to fix.
Turn off both knobs to the outside shower.
I hope this fixes the problem.
Docar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 05:24 PM   #14
dutchmensport

Your photo looks like it's a 3 valve by-pass system. Your photo does not show the 3rd valve, that would be the valve in the middle of the H pattern of the plumbing. Is that third valve in the "off" (cutoff) position? Is not, flip it so it cuts off the water between the cold "in" line and the hot "out" line.

Tags
water