Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Brantlyj

Henry's Tropicool

I posted about the tear I put in the roof of my new Arcadia. (pic attached)

I have not done anything with it yet. It's currently at the shop for warranty work. They told me they could tape it and put Dicor on the edges of the tape for a few hundred dollars. Or they could quote out a full replacement.

I have a $500 deductible so the tape sounds appealing as they think the tape will last along time.

So I'm leaning towards that but also doing a coating on the roof for additional protection. If I went with a company like RV Armor that's all they would do as well, tape it and coat the entire roof.

I came across a lot of great reviews for Henry's. I didn't find much in a search on this group but wondering if anyone has any real time experience with it or DIY coatings in general?
Attached Images

Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
Canonman

I don't have any "real" damage but also thinking about using the Tropicool.
Hope to hear some feedback from those who might have some experience with the product and application.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
I posted about the tear I put in the roof of my new Arcadia. (pic attached)

I have not done anything with it yet. It's currently at the shop for warranty work. They told me they could tape it and put Dicor on the edges of the tape for a few hundred dollars. Or they could quote out a full replacement.

I have a $500 deductible so the tape sounds appealing as they think the tape will last along time.

So I'm leaning towards that but also doing a coating on the roof for additional protection. If I went with a company like RV Armor that's all they would do as well, tape it and coat the entire roof.

I came across a lot of great reviews for Henry's. I didn't find much in a search on this group but wondering if anyone has any real time experience with it or DIY coatings in general?
Buy the tape, clean the roof and DIY. I had a branch tear our roof in a similar fashion. That tape holds line a rubber inner-tube patch. I also put Dicor around the edges for belt and suspenders. T
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Gkri. Amazon has 6" Eternabond tape in 50' rolls. You only need about 2', so you'll have left over tape for the next 24 "incidents"....

Honestly, it's not a difficult or technically challenging problem to repair. Just pull the vinyl insert out of the side molding, remove the screws and pull that section of molding. CLEAN, then DOUBLE CLEAN the roof TPO membrane, apply the Eternabond tape so that it completely covers the damage with 2" of overlap in all directions. The reason for the 6" tape width rather than the 4" width is to assure you have enough Eternabond to completely go under the molding to that there is NO CHANCE of the Eternabond shrinking away from the side of the roof membrane as it will be anchored under the molding.

Once the tape is rolled properly, adhered in all areas, then use butyl putty tape under the side molding, reinstall it with silicone sealant in every screw hole, and then reinstall the vinyl molding insert.

Once all that is done, cover all the seals of the Eternabond tape/TPO membrane edges with DICOR self leveling sealant. Then, in the future, as you do your "roof sealant checks" just include that section of tape to what you inspect and reseal as needed....

Here's why I would not recommend a TPO membrane changeout on a NEW trailer:

First, pulling everything off the roof to replace the membrane will open a "bucket of worms" (much larger than a can of worms) with anything on the roof that might need warranty. Then include the air conditioners, all the plumbing vents, the 14" roof vents, the awning attachment rail and the list just grows from there.... If you replace the membrane, all those "Keystone installed items" become a focal point for warranty denials, since you pulled them off the trailer to replace the membrane....

Second, putting a coating on the existing TPO membrane will void your Alpha Systems warranty and could lead to problems with both Keystone and Alpha Systems with any future issues that might come up with any warranty issues with anything on the top of your RV or with any component that is attached "close to where the coating was applied.

Honestly, the "hole in your membrane" is not that big a deal. Cover it with Eternabond which was created specifically for that purpose, seal the edges and head to the nearest campground to enjoy your trailer... After a couple of trips, you'll no longer focus on "that patch" and as your experience with it grows, you'll learn to trust the reliability of your work.....

ADDED: Here's the link to 6" Eternabond tape: https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...8&sr=8-16&th=1

I've seen a "roof patch kit" sold by Eternabond that has about 4' of 6" tape and a few other pieces in various sizes, but I can't find a link to that kit right now. So you might do some searches for a smaller size roll so you don't end up with lots of Eternabond that you'll never use.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Previous shop used Henry’s from Home Depot on roofs. Went on easy, usually 2 coats. Figure you’re going to get about 3 yrs before you’ll have to do it again.

I wouldn’t do it unless the membrane was looking “wore out”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 03:22 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a link to a "kit", and it's a dandy...but I think I would just buy the tape and other few items needed for this particular repair. They also make a kit with a short 6' or so length of tape, prep pad etc. Just the basics seems better to me.

https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail...iABEgIgkPD_BwE
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 05:42 PM   #7
Brantlyj

Henry’s has different levels. The one sim looking at had a lifetime warranty. I would hope it would last longer than 3 years. ��*♂️
Old 07-27-2023, 05:52 PM   #8
Brantlyj

It’s actually about 6” long, not that it probably matters.

Your reasoning against a total roof replacement is why I’m shying away from it. Not to mention the hit to my insurance.

Sounds like a simple enough repair. I’ve certainly patched up worse tears, just not on an RV. Kinda makes a person nervous with how fragile they are.

Any particular brand or type of silicone sealant? Or whatever Menards has?
I had already bought the Eternabond tape as I had intended on doing a temp patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree with Gkri. Amazon has 6" Eternabond tape in 50' rolls. You only need about 2', so you'll have left over tape for the next 24 "incidents"....

Honestly, it's not a difficult or technically challenging problem to repair. Just pull the vinyl insert out of the side molding, remove the screws and pull that section of molding. CLEAN, then DOUBLE CLEAN the roof TPO membrane, apply the Eternabond tape so that it completely covers the damage with 2" of overlap in all directions. The reason for the 6" tape width rather than the 4" width is to assure you have enough Eternabond to completely go under the molding to that there is NO CHANCE of the Eternabond shrinking away from the side of the roof membrane as it will be anchored under the molding.

Once the tape is rolled properly, adhered in all areas, then use butyl putty tape under the side molding, reinstall it with silicone sealant in every screw hole, and then reinstall the vinyl molding insert.

Once all that is done, cover all the seals of the Eternabond tape/TPO membrane edges with DICOR self leveling sealant. Then, in the future, as you do your "roof sealant checks" just include that section of tape to what you inspect and reseal as needed....

Here's why I would not recommend a TPO membrane changeout on a NEW trailer:

First, pulling everything off the roof to replace the membrane will open a "bucket of worms" (much larger than a can of worms) with anything on the roof that might need warranty. Then include the air conditioners, all the plumbing vents, the 14" roof vents, the awning attachment rail and the list just grows from there.... If you replace the membrane, all those "Keystone installed items" become a focal point for warranty denials, since you pulled them off the trailer to replace the membrane....

Second, putting a coating on the existing TPO membrane will void your Alpha Systems warranty and could lead to problems with both Keystone and Alpha Systems with any future issues that might come up with any warranty issues with anything on the top of your RV or with any component that is attached "close to where the coating was applied.

Honestly, the "hole in your membrane" is not that big a deal. Cover it with Eternabond which was created specifically for that purpose, seal the edges and head to the nearest campground to enjoy your trailer... After a couple of trips, you'll no longer focus on "that patch" and as your experience with it grows, you'll learn to trust the reliability of your work.....

ADDED: Here's the link to 6" Eternabond tape: https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...8&sr=8-16&th=1

I've seen a "roof patch kit" sold by Eternabond that has about 4' of 6" tape and a few other pieces in various sizes, but I can't find a link to that kit right now. So you might do some searches for a smaller size roll so you don't end up with lots of Eternabond that you'll never use.....
Old 07-27-2023, 06:00 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The ONLY thing you'll be using the silicone sealant for is to "squeeze in the screw holes to seal them from water intrusion", then you'll be installing the screws, which will also go through the Butyl putty tape (behind the aluminum molding strip). Then they will all be covered with the vinyl screw cover strip that squeezes into the slots in the aluminum molding.

So, you can use any type/brand of silicone sealant. Or, if you have a tube of ProFlex or Geocel sealant, that would work too.

The purpose of the sealant in the holes is just to prevent water that might get under the vinyl screw cover strip from wicking down the screw threads and into the aluminum frame tubing inside the trailer walls. Since you won't be removing the screws or resealing them, you can pretty much "squirt any kind of sealant in those holes" and feel sure that it'll do its job.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-28-2023, 02:27 AM   #10
jasin1

From the title i thought we were discussing ice cream shops………now all i can think about is frozen custard
Old 07-28-2023, 04:41 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
From the title i thought we were discussing ice cream shops………now all i can think about is frozen custard
jasin, I think we both much think alike, and therefore need to meet at that ice cream shop! Only mine is a Brownie hot fudge Sunday! Where you gonna be in the next hour? Let's meet there!

Oh gosh, it's only 8:40 am and I'm starving for that Sunday now!
Old 07-28-2023, 06:59 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

For me, on a HOT SUMMER DAY, I much prefer a "spearmint snow cone" to ice cream..... Much more "thirst quenching" without that "milky after taste to deal with".....

I also thought about "cool refreshing summer treats" when I read "Henri's Tropicool"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-28-2023, 10:42 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

We are at Starlite Campground in Steven's, PA just NE of Ephrata. Two days ago we picked up our grandsons and at the intersection of rt 322 & Clay Rd. Is a creamery/restaurant called Fox Meadow Creamery so we stopped in.

I ordered 3 scoops of peanubutter and chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone. I watch the young girl scoop a scoop like she was practicing to operate a backhoe. The scoops were as big as a softball and mygradsons challenged me eat all of it. The really enjoyed making fun of me as I polished off what must have been a 1/2 gal of ice cream. It was good but afterwards I regretted "winning the bet".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:48 AM   #14
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
We are at Starlite Campground in Steven's, PA just NE of Ephrata. Two days ago we picked up our grandsons and at the intersection of rt 322 & Clay Rd. Is a creamery/restaurant called Fox Meadow Creamery so we stopped in.

I ordered 3 scoops of peanubutter and chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone. I watch the young girl scoop a scoop like she was practicing to operate a backhoe. The scoops were as big as a softball and mygradsons challenged me eat all of it. The really enjoyed making fun of me as I polished off what must have been a 1/2 gal of ice cream. It was good but afterwards I regretted "winning the bet".
Welcome to PA - only 1hr-13 minutes from Hatfield. Have you taken the grandkids to the Strasburg Railroad in Ronks, PA?
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:14 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
Welcome to PA - only 1hr-13 minutes from Hatfield. Have you taken the grandkids to the Strasburg Railroad in Ronks, PA?
Many times. We live pretty much due south of there in Harford County MD. That was a regular stop when our daughters were young. They loved the Red Caboose as well. At the stoplight in Strousburg is a little ice cream shop that the kids loved as well.

We've been enjoying Lancaster and the surround central PA region for many years. When my DW was young her family had a seasonal site in Quarryville. It was a private cg until they sold out to Yogi Bear. We also camp in Mexico, PA at Buttonwood CG. Highly recommend it esp with kids as they have a lot of activities there.

We often go to Lake-In-Wood cg as well. It's a great eclectic place.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote