Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
bobnelms

15K BTU Dometic AC leaking H20 into bedroom

We have a 2016 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel with 2 AC's. The front AC unit has always dripped water onto the corner of our bed when it rains a lot. I've torqued down on the hold down bolts to no avail. The previous owner must also have had problems because he put sealant around the outside of the gasket -- but it didn't work.

When tropical storm Nicole blew through here a few days ago, I went out to the RV to see how the leak was doing and it was awful. LOT's of drips -- more than one per second.

Today I went up there and took off the upper plastic shroud -- and also removed the upper Styrofoam enclosure (part 11 in the drawing) to look for sources of water entry asides from the gasket AND I THINK I FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM.

The lower half of the Styrofoam shroud is not ADHERED to the metal tray that it sits upon. It simply floats on top of it. I suppose normally it would sit quite sturdily on the metal tray, but when I pushed on it to see if there was any room between it and the metal tray there was about 1/16 inch play -- plenty of room for water to migrate underneath.

So here's my theory.... When it rains from either the side or rear of the AC unit, rain water enters through the vents in the plastic shroud and accumulates on the metal tray. The front AC unit tilts slightly towards the front of the RV, so any water on the tray runs to the front of the unit. There are weep holes in the metal tray, but not enough to keep up with torrential rain. So the water accumulates and seeps under the lower Styrofoam shroud and then runs into the cabin.

Have any of you experienced this kind of problem with water leakage?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo of dometic ac internals.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	42269   Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic ac internals.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	42271  
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

When I bought my camper it had a 13.5K BTU Dometic which I later replaced but it overflowed. Weep holes are small and got clogged so I took a drill and made them quite a bit larger and it solved the problem.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, dometic, leak