Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Hideout 29DFS

Considering the linked trailer. This would be our first trailer so looking for any thoughts on it.

https://www.imperialrvcenter.com/def...avel%20trailer

A new floor plan this year and not seeing much about it. We like the floor plan overall. Not sure how much use that outside fireplace would get.
I love the hidden pantry but worried about how well it will hold up on that one long hinge. Lots of research shows that these trailers are pretty cheaply made with the finest of particle boards so concerned about all that weight on a single pivot point. I’m sure I can fabricate some sort of support though....
I’m also reading about how horrible the floors are in Keystones. Also looking at a comparable Coachman which uses t&g plywood. Not sure how much concern I should have over the two different materials.

The other question is what would be a fair price to negotiate? I was hopping for $20,000 plus a wd hitch and maybe include winterization since I would probably only get to do one or two shakedown trips before I would have to get it buttoned up for winter.

Because someone will ask my TV is a 2016 F250 6.2l gas

Thanks!
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I would shoot for it for the 28RKS. I looked at 18,9xx in NJ and DE, the 23,xxx in your ad from IA and the Keystone site says their recommended msrp is 31,809.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would shoot for it for the 28RKS. I looked at 18,9xx in NJ and DE, the 23,xxx in your ad from IA and the Keystone site says their recommended msrp is 31,809.

I’m not sure I understand what your saying about the 28RKS. It wouldn’t meet our needs as we have three girls under 10. Need the bunks.

We do like the 28 BHS as well. A friend just bought one. Same floor plan other than the bunks and bath flipped. Same price. Seems like a lot harder decision than buying a car.

How are you searching those prices? Might help with negotiations but if I was them I’d probably tell myself to hop in my truck and drive to NJ. Lol
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

My bad. Guess I couldn't read/remember the title of your post. Just looked at the 1st RV for sale in the link you sent.

Looking at the pricing I can find including looking at NADA (they only show a 20, not a 19) the lowest price I found is like 22,99x. NADA pretty much reflects Keystones MSRP at 36,xxx. 20k with some "throw ins" might be a stretch.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
travelin texans

That's where the thrill of the haggle comes in.
There's so many dealers posting their "NO haggle price" these days, if they want to sell me their RV or vehicle they will haggle or I'm going elsewhere. My son is the best haggler I ever seen he gets those sales people so mad they usually give in or ask him to leave, sometimes almost embarrassing, but funny as hell.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
My bad. Guess I couldn't read/remember the title of your post. Just looked at the 1st RV for sale in the link you sent.

Looking at the pricing I can find including looking at NADA (they only show a 20, not a 19) the lowest price I found is like 22,99x. NADA pretty much reflects Keystones MSRP at 36,xxx. 20k with some "throw ins" might be a stretch.
No worries.
Our friend bought the 28bhs in May. They had the same asking price and got it for 20k plus the hitch so I would be expecting at least the same. Especially last years model going into fall.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There's so many dealers posting their "NO haggle price" these days, if they want to sell me their RV or vehicle they will haggle or I'm going elsewhere. My son is the best haggler I ever seen he gets those sales people so mad they usually give in or ask him to leave, sometimes almost embarrassing, but funny as hell.
I’m pretty good haggling for cars. Since I’ve never bought an rv I’m in uncharted territory here. As a small business owner I have no problem with the dealer making a fair profit, but that doesn’t mean I want to over pay either.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Funny story about getting kicked out. My fIL was in New York. I guess there is an area lined with small shops. Your expected to haggle for everything... Anyways he was haggling over a camera. Him and the guy were going back and forth forever. I think they were having more fun dickering than actually buying or selling. Finally the guy realized he went lower than his cost. The look in his face and the. The outburst to get the hell out was priceless. It’s his favorite story.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Brantly, just for a thought, I go into an RV situation expecting a 1/3 reduction from the manufacturer msrp. To me that is a starting point...sometimes ending point. If I pull a 33% reduction and get the "freebies" you mention (hitch has to be in that) I'm in the ballpark, especially if I like the unit.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
BamaRam

I have a 2018 Hideout 31RBDS.

It has been mostly reliable. But I have corrected a lot of shoddy workmanship.

I have a thread with the warranty claims. Most of my gripes were corrected at no cost but it was a hassle.

When you do your PDI remove access panels and look for screws through wire bundles.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

If this is your first camper, perhaps an experienced friend could accompany you on the PDI or even hire an independent RV tech. These guys advertise in Craigslist and the like. If you catch an issue prior to signing on the dotted line, the dealership is far more likely to want to take care of any issue.

Just in case you didn't notice but the unit you are interested in is a bunk house. First thing you know the bunks will be filled with squealing little ruggies and your peace and equanimity will be all shot to heck! Honestly, I think your 3 little gals will love the adventure. Last thing... if it gets hot up wherever you are in the summer, two A/C units with 50A service sure make a lot of sense. That is a lot of trailer with little insulation for a 13.5K BTU A/C.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #12
teacherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
I have a 2018 Hideout 31RBDS.

When you do your PDI remove access panels and look for screws through wire bundles.

The reason I joined this site was to find out more about just this model.

2019 Load Trail 10k payload dump trailer

Bunkhouse trailer to be added soon!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post

The reason I joined this site was to find out more about just this model.
That's one of the "benefits" (or nightmares) with membership in this forum: You'll ALWAYS get more than you asked for.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #14
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If this is your first camper, perhaps an experienced friend could accompany you on the PDI or even hire an independent RV tech. These guys advertise in Craigslist and the like. If you catch an issue prior to signing on the dotted line, the dealership is far more likely to want to take care of any issue.

Just in case you didn't notice but the unit you are interested in is a bunk house. First thing you know the bunks will be filled with squealing little ruggies and your peace and equanimity will be all shot to heck! Honestly, I think your 3 little gals will love the adventure. Last thing... if it gets hot up wherever you are in the summer, two A/C units with 50A service sure make a lot of sense. That is a lot of trailer with little insulation for a 13.5K BTU A/C.

Same wiredgeorge from VROC? Sold my bike roughly a year or two after first was born. Rolled up to a stop light and the oil slicks were unavoidable. Kept it upright but both tires locked up and slid into the intersection. Decided my girls needed a dad more than I needed a bike. Surprisingly don’t miss it.

We do some tent camping and they love it and have been working overtime on my wife as she will not tent it. Think we got her won over.
We have already been invited to some Octoberfest celebration from friends with girls the same age as ours that have an RV if we can get one in time.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #15
teacherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Same wiredgeorge from VROC? Sold my bike roughly a year or two after first was born. Rolled up to a stop light and the oil slicks were unavoidable. Kept it upright but both tires locked up and slid into the intersection. Decided my girls needed a dad more than I needed a bike. Surprisingly don’t miss it.

We do some tent camping and they love it and have been working overtime on my wife as she will not tent it. Think we got her won over.
We have already been invited to some Octoberfest celebration from friends with girls the same age as ours that have an RV if we can get one in time.
My 2011 Road King Classic turned into a Subaru when the Primate turned threee. ABS saved me one wild night late... Pike's Peak, Tail of the Dragon, I don't miss it either. Glad for the memories, the burnouts, the wild times can live on in stories. Glad you kept the rubber side down!

2019 Load Trail 10k payload dump trailer

Bunkhouse trailer to be added soon!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #16
Huey79

My wife bought a 2020 Hideout DFS in June. Dealer listed asking price was 24.5k. She ended up buying it for 20k.
Huey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
Brantlyj

Well we agreed on a price today. $21.5k plus an Equilizer brand hitch.
Going in tomorrow to put down a deposit as it will take a week for the bank to finalize the equity loan. Got a pretty nice rate on that as well.

So excited to get out there!
Old 09-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Congratulations! And you got a good hitch as well!!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #19
mtofell

I have a 2016 Hideout 5th wheel and it's been a decent unit. I've been at this RV game for 20+ years and this is my 5th one so I suppose I have some experience. Yes, they are cheaply made but if you have realistic expectations it should turn out okay. Mainly, they are just not designed or built for full time use. For the +/- 30 nights a year I spend in mine I'm super happy. There are annoyances (with any RV) but most things are just common sense. Being somewhat handy is very beneficial. Also, these internet forums are a HUGE help.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #20
bsmith0404

Discounts off of MSRP in the RV industry varies based on how dealers price. Some include freight in their pricing, some don’t. That is a set cost to the dealership based on distance from Indiana so you can’t expect a discount on it. For example, if a dealer pays $3k on fright you can’t expect a 33% discount and only pay 2k of that cost. Some dealers include PDI, battery and LP tanks filled in their MSRP, some don’t. Again, fixed costs. As for a free hitch, nothing is free. Dealers that say they’re giving you a free hitch typically “throw in a $100 husky hitch that isn’t worth connecting to a trailer of this size and weight. Work your price on the trailer and just pay for an appropriate hitch for your truck and trailer combo. Don’t get a weight distribution hitch with a strut that gets bolted on for sway control, pay the money for something with built in sway control like a blue ox sway pro. Any dealer that says they’re throwing it in for free just isn’t discounting the price o the RV as much.

Not sure what you’re talking about with “cheap floors”. T&G plywood is not as good as the dyna span floor that Keystone uses. Plywood is layers of veneer and will wick water. Marine OSB is filled with waxes and resins that do not. If it gets wet, the water will not wick across the entire sheet. Also, T&G has a seam every 4 feet. Dyna span is an 8x24’ sheet so no groves to constantly be flexing and giving you a squeaky floor. There are some places in an RV where movement is acceptable or even desirable, the floor is not one of them. There’s a reason T&G plywood has a one or two year warranty and dyna span used by Keystone has a 25 year warranty. The top 4 brands of luxury 5th wheels all use the same type of floor that the Hideout has. Basically, you’re getting the same floor that is in a Montana, Alpine, Solitude, and Big Horn.

As for the single hinge, it is a piano hinge designed to carry a lot of weight. Many brands are starting to use the hidden pantry on the piano hinge. There is also a roller under the door, it’ll hold up fine under normal use. If you like the model, Hideout is one of the best built RVs for the price, enjoy it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout