Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #21
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
About 6 years ago I had to go to Toronto for business. The company I worked for had 3 bakery/cafes in Canada and I had to inspect the Toronto location before the company bought it back from the franchisee. At the time Canada was really harassing Americans entering the country. I decided to drive up and took the DW with me.

We crossed at Rainbow Bridge. Did it many many times when out DD was in college in Buffalo, NY. We used to take her and her roommates over and buy them dinner as the exchange rate was ridiculously advantageous for the dollar back then. We would go up to visit our DD and buy her clothes and other things in Canada. Spent a fair amount of money in those 4 years she was in college.

Anyway, DW and I go thru and the usual questions and was told to pull over and go inside. After 5 hours pof just waiting we got questioned. I had emails, and other documents stating my business. Then they asked me why the company wouldn't hire a Canadian to do this. I explained that I was in charge of roughly 350+or-locations and hiring someone for 3 locations was not economically viable.

Then to make my visit worse I entered a toll highway. The GPS directed mt to the toll road. No toll booth, just electronic which was not evident until you were well committed on the entrance. Of course my EZ Pass was not recognized. That 5 mile journey cost me $125 when I returned home and found the "violation" in the mail. I felt like I had crossed Checkpoint Charlie in 1960 Berlin and was mot only interrogated by the Stassi but had to pay for that pleasure.

That trip did not leave me feeling "warm and fuzzy" topwards Canada. No offense to the Canadians here and perhaps things have changed but if I'm not welcomed then I spend my money where I am. JMHO
Don't take it personally Marshall. Heck I'm not even welcomed here. I'm a speak my mind person and that doesn't bode well for Canadian ethics.
If I would have had opportunity to live in the US as a young man, I would have left here.
I am french canadian living in an anglo province. My family came over in the 1500's from France, I am part Acadian (Ya'll call us cajuns) so we have become used to being kicked out of places. Lol.
I know you all have just come through a rough political time, but take comfort in the fact that our leaders are every bit moronic and comedic as yours. You folks don't know what taxes are.

You should see how they compound interest on mortgages, with no tax deductions.

I have always liked coming to the US. Its a beautifully landscaped part of the americas. The only americans I have time for are Bruins fans. just kidding, the Habs own you.
Thats it for me.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
DW loves Oak Island. At the end of each show I will say "drink your Ovaltine" (A Christmas Story movie reference). After an hour of how the Aussie found a "Bobby Dazzler" like a button, they tell you to tune in next week for some other breaking news, like finding a broken pick axe.

Aw, shuddup boys. My wife has already told me I am a moron for watching that stupid show. Two minutes of exciting discovery every week crammed into an hour but after EIGHT (8) seasons, the time I stop watching the brothers will actually find something. My wife won't watch the show. I don't watch the endless sappy Christmas movies she loves that start at the 4th of July now.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #23
Sarge2

My wife is HOOKED on Oak Island... Me... I hate that narrator that does the stupid HUH questions... A wooden beam, in the money pit??? drives me Bonkers.
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

I like to see the new equipment they use every week or so. Sort of like how "This Old House" morphed into "This New Tool" when they started getting stale showing the same tile job for the hundredth time.......
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Marshall. That show, and that little guy, crack me up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #26
Carrottop

Quote:
About 6 years ago I had to go to Toronto for business. The company I worked for had 3 bakery/cafes in Canada and I had to inspect the Toronto location before the company bought it back from the franchisee. At the time Canada was really harassing Americans entering the country. I decided to drive up and took the DW with me.

We crossed at Rainbow Bridge. Did it many many times when out DD was in college in Buffalo, NY. We used to take her and her roommates over and buy them dinner as the exchange rate was ridiculously advantageous for the dollar back then. We would go up to visit our DD and buy her clothes and other things in Canada. Spent a fair amount of money in those 4 years she was in college.

Anyway, DW and I go thru and the usual questions and was told to pull over and go inside. After 5 hours pof just waiting we got questioned. I had emails, and other documents stating my business. Then they asked me why the company wouldn't hire a Canadian to do this. I explained that I was in charge of roughly 350+or-locations and hiring someone for 3 locations was not economically viable.

Then to make my visit worse I entered a toll highway. The GPS directed mt to the toll road. No toll booth, just electronic which was not evident until you were well committed on the entrance. Of course my EZ Pass was not recognized. That 5 mile journey cost me $125 when I returned home and found the "violation" in the mail. I felt like I had crossed Checkpoint Charlie in 1960 Berlin and was mot only interrogated by the Stassi but had to pay for that pleasure.

That trip did not leave me feeling "warm and fuzzy" topwards Canada. No offense to the Canadians here and perhaps things have changed but if I'm not welcomed then I spend my money where I am. JMHO
I think both borders operate the same way I work for a hotel chain that has one hotel in North Dakota. Every once in a while I need to go down and meet with the team there. Well I might well bring my trailer to spend the night at the Emerson/Pembina border crossing. Some of the border guards are great and very friendly and the some I would assume think I killed their dog and burned down their house. I would never make the statement that the entire US is unfriendly due to a few bad apples. But to each their own. Both countries have beautiful sites to see and I choose to look past the few grumpy people so we can enjoy the continent freely. We are luck to live on a continent that allows that.

Just my two cents.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
I think both borders operate the same way I work for a hotel chain that has one hotel in North Dakota. Every once in a while I need to go down and meet with the team there. Well I might well bring my trailer to spend the night at the Emerson/Pembina border crossing. Some of the border guards are great and very friendly and the some I would assume think I killed their dog and burned down their house. I would never make the statement that the entire US is unfriendly due to a few bad apples. But to each their own. Both countries have beautiful sites to see and I choose to look past the few grumpy people so we can enjoy the continent freely. We are luck to live on a continent that allows that.

Just my two cents.

For many years I was a "grumpy" people and made no bones about it (still don't). But, I didn't like "grumpy" people and made no bones about THAT. I was quite a bit younger then. One day as I encountered one of those "grumpy" people and bit his head off DW took me aside and said; "you know, that guy reminds me of you. Look how you treated him. I figure lots of folks would like to be that way to you but they are too nice." Hmmmm. Although I'm as usually hard headed as titanium, on that day it was a learning moment.

As noted in red above I have tried very hard to accept other "grumpy people" and look past any situation - just as I'm sure they do for me. So many things to do and see and letting grumpy ruin your day.....well, that side of me was left behind years ago (as best I can ). Whether it's country, state or city each of us is different and the best I can figure is we just learn to accept (very difficult) or at least tolerate those other "grumpy" folks ( that turned into more than I thought it would - sorry).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #28
notanlines

Dan, I had a lot of respect for your opinions until you made light of Tim Horton's. I'll have you know Americans loved them so much we sent our beloved Burger King up there to buy the whole darned company! And look how it has prospered and improved...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
My wife is HOOKED on Oak Island... Me... I hate that narrator that does the stupid HUH questions... A wooden beam, in the money pit??? drives me Bonkers.

Don't know if you have ever seen any of the other History Channel reality shows but he does voice and same "a wooden beam in the money pit" script.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Do you guys think the OP will ever ask another question on this forum?

Old 11-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #31
Northofu1

It's been over a year since I have been stateside, been going crazy. This year sucked, except for my engagement to Serena.
I miss throwing our passports in the truck and picking her up after work for dinner, driving to Buffalo for wings. Border guards thought I was nuts. "Don't you have restaurants in Barrie?"
Even driving to Detroit to see Les Habs beat the Dead Things.
I'm goin' nuts I tells ya!

He might be back, He might even post again. I promise I will never hijack his posts again. Sorry Dude.
Sorry Jim, Timbits suck , unless of course your throwin them.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:10 AM   #32
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post

A Canadian couple that own property in Mexico wanted to head down there with a travel trailer to pay taxes and winter at. The US border would not allow them in as they had no proof of residence in the US to quarantine in. They pulled a U turn back to Canada, and were then ordered to quarantine for 14 days in their home somewhere in B.C.. Now that's harsh.

Actually on the US news the other night. There are some commercial companies that have started up a business for the Canadians that want to go south. For a package price they company utilizes their commercial license and transports the RV over the border to NY. The owner gets on a private plan and flys 10 minutes to a US border airport, goes through customs and is reunited with the RV. I think it was $1500 for the package.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #33
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Actually on the US news the other night. There are some commercial companies that have started up a business for the Canadians that want to go south. For a package price they company utilizes their commercial license and transports the RV over the border to NY. The owner gets on a private plan and flys 10 minutes to a US border airport, goes through customs and is reunited with the RV. I think it was $1500 for the package.
Where there's profit, there's a way. lol

Old 11-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #34
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Here is the answer to my question: A short call to the Canada border folks (after a very long search to get a number that goes to a human) revealed that any rv with an RVIA sticker or one that had it before it crumbled and fell off is accepted for entry provided that everything else checks out. Those traveling in homemade trailers or homebuilt bus conversions can and should expect full or nearly full inspections. It seems this is because they know the hiding spots in standard units but not the homebuilts. CSA certification is only needed if importing a unit that will be registered in Canada. Bear spray is ok. Same solution labeled pepper spray is not. Pepper spray is considered an offensive weapon and bear spray is considered a defensive weapon. Food is the biggest issue so do not have much fresh or frozen food and no dairy. Could not find out if that includes unopened packages of cheese.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #35
notanlines

Now we have the definitive answer! And I suspect that other than fresh fruits and vegetables (diseases), the meat, dairy and grocery industries probably had a little to do with not bringing the remainder. After all, they do sell cheese in Canada.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 11-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #36
NH_Bulldog

Now let’s not forget tobacco products and alcohol. “Yes Ma’am, I have a box of cigars and a few bottles of Scotch and rum but they are strictly for personal use and I am not leaving them in Canada”. Thank you Sir, enjoy your visit and travel safely.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #37
Northofu1

We have had Cuban cigars up here since before and after the bay of pigs fiasco. I used to enjoy a nice Cohiba when I smoked. Don't miss cigarettes, do miss cigars. At least I have Bourbon.

Enjoy your future trip to Sudbury.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #38
Sarge2

Northofu1, so you know... I can't begin my work day without getting my Tim Horton fix... As you can see, I have one on my desk right now at work...lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim Horton.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	30920  
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #39
notanlines

Just to continue the slight hijack of this thread, I really only want to say good things about their apple fritters and the Boston cremes. The Timbits are, eh just so-so. But they are great in a slingshot!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 11-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #40
Northofu1

Uggghhh
The apple fritters are too small and too sweet, the Freedom cremes (Can't say the B word) are baked. They are made off site. I am old enough to remember when they actually made them on site. Much like when BK actually used to flame broil meat patties. They're a bad influence on food chains.
I will however concede the tim bit in a sling shot is pretty good idea.