Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
koda57

Refrigerator Beeps

I think I saw a tread on this issue. When I am not hooked up to shore power my refrigerator beeps once every time the furnace turns on, and other times it may continues to keep beeping until I turn the refrigerator power off and back on. Both furnace and the fridge work good. Just hoping to get a couple thoughts before I have to get more technical, if this is common issue. The batteries are above 12.4v(resting) when this happen and drops to 11.9 or 12v.( Might be the problem). Haven't checked connections or voltage drop on those 2 circuit yet.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds to me like a voltage drop problem. When the furnace starts, the voltage drops and the refrigerator "beeps an alarm" then as the furnace runs, the voltage returns to normal and the refrigerator resets/continues without interruption.

It's the same as a generator rating: 2000 watts surge/1600 watts operating. Only your battery is not capable of supplying the total surge requirement during furnace startup, so the voltage drops and the refrigerator senses that voltage and beeps a signal that it's going to shut down, but the voltage rises before that happens.

If the furnace and refrigerator are on separate circuits, it's a battery issue in voltage drop with the high demand at furnace initiation. Add another battery or replace the current battery with one that has greater amperage capacity.

If the furnace and refrigerator are on the same fuse circuit or on the same 12 volt wire, you might try running a heavy gauge wire from the power center 12 volt buss bar to the refrigerator connection and measuring the voltage at that point when the furnace starts. If it remains above 12.4 volts and the refrigerator does NOT beep, I'd consider separating the furnace and refrigerator power source.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda57 View Post
I think I saw a tread on this issue. When I am not hooked up to shore power my refrigerator beeps once every time the furnace turns on, and other times it may continues to keep beeping until I turn the refrigerator power off and back on. Both furnace and the fridge work good. Just hoping to get a couple thoughts before I have to get more technical, if this is common issue. The batteries are above 12.4v(resting) when this happen and drops to 11.9 or 12v.( Might be the problem). Haven't checked connections or voltage drop on those 2 circuit yet.
If not connected to shore power the frig doesn’t work. Unless it is on propane. Mine beeps when not on shore power and is set to elect.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
GHen

Power should be 12.6+ resting, and up to 13.6 charging. I think you should have the battery checked. If it’s new, add a second battery.

12.4 is 20% below full charge.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

You need to get your battery load tested.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
If not connected to shore power the frig doesn’t work. Unless it is on propane. Mine beeps when not on shore power and is set to elect.
Set the fridge to "auto" then you won't have to be switching from gas to elec.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #7
GHen

Just got back to my rv after about 6 weeks and my batteries were 12.8 volts. I keep them disconnected when I’m gone.

That said, your 12.4 does indicate you should have them checked.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
koda57

Thank for the input. The Dometic fridge manual said it had to have 11.6v. The voltage I read was on the in-Command not at the fridge. Couldn't check at the fridge, didn't have a meter with me. Need to to put a volt meter in the trailer. Now I have to find the time to look into it. I have a few months before I use the trailer again. I was going to convert to two 6v batteries anyway. It has two 12v Interstate batteries the dealer installed, for the last year. I will post what I find when I get into it.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda57 View Post
Thank for the input. The Dometic fridge manual said it had to have 11.6v. The voltage I read was on the in-Command not at the fridge. Couldn't check at the fridge, didn't have a meter with me. Need to to put a volt meter in the trailer. Now I have to find the time to look into it. I have a few months before I use the trailer again. I was going to convert to two 6v batteries anyway. It has two 12v Interstate batteries the dealer installed, for the last year. I will post what I find when I get into it.
If the dealer installed the batteries I'd almost bet they used non deep cycle batteries. If there's CCA, CA or MCA listed on the top of the battery they are not deep cycle batteries. Two 12 volt true deep cycle could go a long way in helping your issue IMHO!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote