Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
grey ghost

Air Bags

I'm sure I'll start a storm here, but have to ask! Are Air Bags worth the money and effort to put on your truck? I know they do not increase the payload so what good are they really? If they are so great, which brands are the best to purchase without breaking the bank? Just had to ask before spending the money.

Also just purchased one those CHEAP back up cameras that are supposed to attach to your license plate. Anyhow, I attached it to my tool box and it gives me a great picture of the 5th wheel hitch and makes hooking up a breeze. I think I spent about $30.00 on the entire set up and got it on Amazon with free shipping to boot. Great idea, plus cheap and it really works well. Go figure
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
rhagfo

Well depends if your F250 is gas or diesel. Your new 5er has a dry weight of 11,960#, it has a GVWR of 15,000# on a 3,040# payload and a DRY pin of 2,595#. Bags will only be a band-aid for your F250. Time to step up to a 350/3500 SRW or better a DRW.”

I can say “Been there done that” no bags, just over weight.
I chose to go DRW as I carry a bit of weight in my in Ed tool box.
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
jsb5717

I can agree that you are overweight. Maybe you already know that but it's worth mentioning in pointing everyone to safe towing.

Yes, airbags don't add payload. But I have them and find them useful in smoothing out the ride. I can also get an extra 1" lift when pulling in and out of my driveway to avoid scraping the landing gear.

I have AirLift bags and onboard wireless compressor. They work great.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:29 AM   #4
Frank G

To answer your question, Yes, Yes, Yes, Air bags are worth it. I Had a 2013 F250 and Installed Air Lift air bags on It and installed them on our 2016 Ram. Get the ones with the internal bump stops. Fords are noted for saggy rear springs and the air lift air springs level you out, provide for a smoother ride and keep your headlights where they belong, on the road. If you can afford the onboard air compressor, great, if not my suggestion is to plumb the 2 together with one fill point. I carry a small battery powered air compressor to fill on the go. Now that I am out of the salt and crud of the north I would install a onboard system capable of servicing the truck and trailer tires.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:05 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Air bags? Yes. Brand, both Firestone and Airlift are excellent choices. Get “on board” air so you can adjust them as you drive.

Without bags my fiver squatted the bed enough to cause bouncing off the overloads when I hit a bump. Bags stopped that and if I hit a bad section of road I just add more to stop it. Unhooked I can dump the air and get a softer ride.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

No one can tell you if it's worth YOUR money and time. It was worth my money and time IMO. I don't need them to level the truck as I have a travel trailer and the wdh is adjusted for that. I bought them (them as in a sermon each truck) to make it easier to back trailer in the driveway. Crowned street and inclined driveway can cause hitch to drag driveway apron.

What I found out was 2 other advantages. 1. Adjusting ride for road conditions. It can help smooth out certain washboard roads. 2. It's a tremendous advantage hitching/unhitching. I have an on board compressor and tank for train horns and I have electric solenoids on the air bags to inflate/deflate the air bags.

I wired controls in the cab and at the driver side of the bed at the end of the bed. I also have a Husky tongue jack with the remote control. I can back up under the trailer, hit the air up until the ball seats. Put a little forward tension on it so it will latch. Then with the air controls in the bed raise the rear end high enough to put the wdh bars on with little effort. Then let the air out to my "usual" 20 psi ride pressure and I'm on my way.

I've had both AirLift and Firestone brands and really can't tell much difference. Buy a plastic tubing cutter for a few dollars and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Also run the air line tubing thru some rubber or vinyl hose if you route it thru any metal framework or body panels.

The on board air was installed for the "hello, I'm here, don't cut me off" train horns but are so convenient for the air bags, makes adjusting them while driving possible. I plumbed in a quick disconnect air chuck in the back of the bed as well. Now it's a simple matter of plugging in the air hose to air up tires, or use compressed air to blow sand or wood chips out of the truck bed.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
grey ghost

Thanks for the input, great help!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Vet4jdc

Grey.....I have had two F250's pulling a fifth wheel and installed Air-lift air bags on both. Yes it makes a difference.

As some have already told you, you are likely over your weight rating for your truck but that was not the question you asked. You asked about air bags.

In my personal experience, you will be able to achieve two things with air bags. You can take the sag or "squat" out of your truck and make it ride level. It will put more weight back on your front wheels and eliminate your truck being nose high.

Second, it will stiffen your ride so that it's not so mushy with the added weight in your bed. The stiffer ride will make your towing and driving experience much better. I think it's a worthwhile investment.

Btw....you will continue to get responses about being over weight with that camper and your truck.