Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2024, 05:38 AM   #81
Alibaddy

Possible issue?

We have a 2021 Alpine with the iN Command system. I have a fair amount of experience with electronic systems,. We had what might seem to be an unrelated issue. Our on demand water heater had to be rebooted virtually daily. The fix was a DC to DC converter, which surprised me, but Suburban felt there was electrical noise on the DC circuits. So, I wonder if problems with the iN Command system are caused by noise on the circuits? Perhaps the same solution would work?
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:15 AM   #82
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaddy View Post
We have a 2021 Alpine with the iN Command system. I have a fair amount of experience with electronic systems,. We had what might seem to be an unrelated issue. Our on demand water heater had to be rebooted virtually daily. The fix was a DC to DC converter, which surprised me, but Suburban felt there was electrical noise on the DC circuits. So, I wonder if problems with the iN Command system are caused by noise on the circuits? Perhaps the same solution would work?
The IW60RL WH was not a good fit for the Alpine.. or any other RV.. Noise on the 12 vdc system? Not likely...

The batteries AND converter supply DC to the DC distribution BUS on your Alpine power center panel.. The converter DC output ( UNLESS YOURS IS BAD ) is already filtered via the converter circuit and is very clean ( UNLESS Converter is bad )...

The battery output is clean DC...

One could use some filter circuit on the DC source to the main DC BUS connection but I just dont see the reason....

Glad your WH works... but there was something else wrong with that WH that somehow got fixed....

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:09 AM   #83
Alibaddy

Thanks for the feedback. Our heater is not the RL version. I was contacted by phone by the warranty manager at Suburban. I provided an Excel spreadsheet with the dates and times of the failures, as well as the error codes. He took the data to an engineering meeting, and two engineers immediately said the problem was "unclean" DC power. They provided a DC converter, and we have gone 5 weeks now with no issue.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:11 AM   #84
Alibaddy

I was thinking that people having issues with iNCommand might try this approach. Our iNCommand works perfectly.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:21 AM   #85
ChuckS

Then your WH is not OEM factory.. if it isn’t the IW60RL which was used in Alpines then you have the IW60 which is same unit minus recirculation loop..

I’d have to see the DC output off your original factory converter and batteries with my scope ..

If there are ripples in the output from the WFCO converter then it is bad ..

Glad you are having success with the setup now

Pics of the DC to DC install in the circuit would be very useful..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:59 AM   #86
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum2 View Post
My wife wrote Keystone asking them what the latest changes were and go a response back that among other things…they were discontinuing the InCommand.
I find this very doubtful. As their proprietary system that they believe is the best in the world I don't think this will happen anytime soon or for as long as Keystone is in business.
Why would they be doing an update if they were going to discontinue the system?
There had to be some type of misunderstanding in communication.

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM   #87
Alibaddy

Converter

Our trailer was built during covid so perhaps that's why it does not have the RL version. I'm glad it doesn't because it's easier to winterize. the RL version has to have the drain on the back open when winterizing and it is virtually inaccessible. According to Suburban I can simply put antifreeze through the heater when we are winterizing.
Attached is the instruction sheet received from Suburban when they shipped the converter to me.
In case anyone else needs a converter, the part number is also included in those instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 206313 DC Converter Installation Instructions.pdf (112.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-24-2024, 08:16 AM   #88
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Dave View Post
I find this very doubtful. As their proprietary system that they believe is the best in the world I don't think this will happen anytime soon or for as long as Keystone is in business.
Why would they be doing an update if they were going to discontinue the system?
There had to be some type of misunderstanding in communication.
As InCommand is not a Keystone exclusive product, the update would be pushed out by ASA/Jensen, the product's developer, not Keystone. Whether or not Keystone chooses to continue using InCommand would not impact the ASA folks from providing system updates.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:06 PM   #89
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
As InCommand is not a Keystone exclusive product, the update would be pushed out by ASA/Jensen, the product's developer, not Keystone. Whether or not Keystone chooses to continue using InCommand would not impact the ASA folks from providing system updates.
I guess I may stand corrected........after I read this a while back I thought I understood it as being a Keystone exclusive that ASA had made for them in conjunction with their electronic knowledge and Keystone wants and needs.

Quote:
In 2015, Keystone engineers teamed up with ASA Electronics, a leading electronics firm, to create the RV industry's first reliable app-based control system—called iN-Command.® iN-Command successfully eliminated the clutter of switches and buttons replacing them with a clean, easy to use touchpad along with an app that transformed smart phones into a multi-functional remote control. Fast-forward to 2018 and the breakthrough iN-Command system is changing the game once again by incorporating “Global Connect” into the latest generation of iN-Command. This new, smart-home system makes it easy for Keystone owners to control and monitor many of their RV’s functions from anywhere in the world using Wi-Fi and cellular data connections.

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 01:06 PM   #90
JRTJH
Site Team

Whether In-Command is a "Keystone concept developed with ASA" or an "ASA concept sold to Keystone" is a question I can't answer. But I do know that the system is not "only available in Keystone products"... The "testimonials" on the ASA website are from the Product Manager at Cougar, the General Manager, Forest River Cedar Creek and the President of the RV Factory brand. All are separate companies, only one of which is Keystone owned.

In 2015, Keystone entered into an agreement to develop a "remote system". Prior to that, they had used systems marketed by Lippert and a few other companies. My "remote system" in my 2014 Cougar is a "Lippert knockoff". There were many other brands used in previous years. Keystone wanted to stop using a variety of different brands and consolidate to one brand of remote for all their trailer lines. ASA and Keystone settled on the JRVCS1 and introduced it in 2016. The JRVCS1 "morphed" into the In-Command Pro, then into the Pro-Plus and finally into the Global Connect.

Through the years, the ASA remote system has been used by a number of RV manufacturers. It has been "introduced and then discontinued" by some of them. Keystone has its own "history of which brands have the system and which do not"... It has been discontinued by Keystone in a number of iterations and then not installed in the next generation update in several Keystone lines.

Since being introduced, ASA's remote system called In-Command has been used by Keystone, Dutchman, Crossroads, Winnebago, Forest River, Pacific Coachworks, Spectrum RV (Australia) and other manufacturers.

The system, produced by ASA, is not a "Keystone exclusive". Sort of like "Lippert builds frames exclusively for Keystone" but Lippert also builds frames for nearly 100% of all RV manufacturers, so Keystone doesn't have a "lock on Lippert frames"....

https://in-command.net/get-in-command/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IN COMMAND BRANDS.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	46285  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 02:19 PM   #91
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
How about posting up the actual email then?

Rummors get started all the time about things, and there is hardly ever any actual facts.

So, if you have an email. Post it up.
Redact any personal information that identifies you of course.

My guess is, In-Command is not going away anytime soon.
Bad guess; InCommand is going, going, gone. At least from the Cougar line after February 1st.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2864.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	46411  
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:58 PM   #92
Sleeve66

I always install a pvc glue on Valtera valve right at the waste hose connection. This way if someone accidentally or intentionally pulls one of the valves and then closes it, you don't get the full volume of what is in all the pipe when you remove the cap.

We love to explore national parks and unique natural sites that are not obvious to everyone.
Sleeve66 is offline   Reply With Quote