Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
Javi

AGM Battery Questions

AGM Battery Questions

After years of buying Walmart Lead Acid batteries for my camping needs, I am feeling the need to move up to the AGM style batteries. And “NO” I am not about to begin boondocking at this stage of my life. This is instead based on my increasing laziness and realization that I would rather spend the limited time I have left petting the dog, instead of removing storage crates from the compartment so I can get to the battery boxes. Then disconnect the spaghetti stream of battery cables and wiring, so I can unscrew the twelve fasteners and lift the lid. Just so I can pop the cell caps off and check the acid level once a month. Seems like this was a lot less troublesome twenty years ago, or these new and improved battery boxes are more child proof than they used to be.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to pick your collective brains about the choices of AGM batteries available. It looks like the top choices are Renogy, Duracell, Vmax, Trojan, UPG, Interstate, and a few others dragging up the rear.

My battery boxes will hold either a Group 27 or 31 without issue, although I am learning that several of the battery manufacturers seem to ignore the BCI code criteria. Again, I am not looking to boondock. All I am interested in, is the power to run my slides, jacks and keep the fridge and furnace running if the 110V goes out for a few hours. I figure that two 100Ah or 110Ah 12-volt batteries should easily do this without completely breaking the piggybank.

What experiences have you had with any of these AGM batteries and would you purchase them again or do something different in hindsight…
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Have you considered something like this:

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-ca...s/pro-fill-rv/

I’ve installed them and haven’t had a single comeback.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Have you considered something like this:

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-ca...s/pro-fill-rv/

I’ve installed them and haven’t had a single comeback.
I've looked at them but figured that it'd be less trouble to replace the batteries than t modify the boxes to accept the filling gadget.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
roadglide

I’m having good luck with 3 AGM Duracell 115 AH, there going on 5 years now. I have them connected to a 4 A battery tender keeping them fully charged.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I’m having good luck with 3 AGM Duracell 115 AH, there going on 5 years now. I have them connected to a 4 A battery tender keeping them fully charged.
Is there a reason that you don't just use the converter to keep them charged?
Old 11-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Is there a reason that you don't just use the converter to keep them charged?
Yes I’m not using any of the campers electrical circuitry and I can discount with the switch and still keep charging the batteries . The battery capacity voltage meter with an on off switch lets me know what the battery temperature ,voltage and percentage of the 3 batteries are.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Yes I’m not using any of the campers electrical circuitry and I can discount with the switch and still keep charging the batteries . The battery capacity voltage meter with an on off switch lets me know what the battery temperature ,voltage and percentage of the 3 batteries are.
If I understand correctly, there is no reason other than a personal decision; so I can just keep my trailer plugged in between trips without issue.

Is that correct?
Old 11-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #8
roadglide

Quote:
If I understand correctly, there is no reason other than a personal decision; so I can just keep my trailer plugged in between trips without issue.

Is that correct?
Yes Your preference how you want to keep your batteries maintained.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:15 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Yes Your preference how you want to keep your batteries maintained.
Thanks, we camp every couple of weeks year-round so rarely unload the fridge and keep the trailer plugged in when not camping.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #10
roadglide

I forgot to mention when using multiple batteries there is a right and wrong way to connect the charger unless the inverter charger has extended cables To reach a second or third it could be Connected wrong . With the maintainer it was easer to run new wires to the batteries the right way .
Old 11-27-2021, 10:31 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
I forgot to mention when using multiple batteries there is a right and wrong way to connect the charger unless the inverter charger has extended cables To reach a second or third it could be Connected wrong . With the maintainer it was easer to run new wires to the batteries the right way .
I will only be using two batteries, one for the house and hydraulics and the other for the inverter so they are already wired.

I'm more concerned with which brand and why...
Old 11-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #12
snoobler

Renogy sucks. Chinese company, and their support is horrible.

Duracell - my favorite AGM for the Prius. Made in Korea.

Vmax - ?

Trojan - excellent batteries in general I have 12 T-1275 FLA

UPG - ?

Interstate - Okay, but it's hit or miss with the mostly junk batteries made in Mexico by Johnson Controls (now Clarios).

AGMs are better in many ways. They can be mostly "set and forget" without worrying about maintenance - just keep the absorption and float voltages to specification and avoid discharging below 50%.

Well maintained flooded will outlast AGM by a good measure, but AGM will outlast FLA when neglected by a good measure. FLA can be equalized to reverse sulfation and require it periodically. Can't equalize AGM in the same way. FLA is cycles of deterioration (normal use) and recovery (equalization) with a progressively reduced capacity. AGM skips the equalization cycles and just slowly deteriorates with each cycle.

Your desire to spend your time doing something besides maintaining your FLA is justification enough.

Bottom line - buy an AGM made in the USA by a reputable company, and you can't go wrong. Buy the warranty, not the product.
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Javi, somehow I missed this post during the Thanksgiving excitement.

I use a watering system for the batteries. No lifting of lids after installation....no nothing. Just replenish water every month or 2 and takes about 2 minutes. After removing the battery covers (yes, many cables but not bad) and installing the tubes/caps I just drilled a filler tube hole into the box and sealed with a proper sized grommet. Easy peasy and zero worries or trouble when filling the batteries. If interested let me know and I can get a pic...which I'm not good at but I can "get er done" if you want. Yours may be a bit different but the watering system is one of the best mods I've ever done.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:34 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobler View Post
Renogy sucks. Chinese company, and their support is horrible.

Duracell - my favorite AGM for the Prius. Made in Korea.

Vmax - ?

Trojan - excellent batteries in general I have 12 T-1275 FLA

UPG - ?

Interstate - Okay, but it's hit or miss with the mostly junk batteries made in Mexico by Johnson Controls (now Clarios).

AGMs are better in many ways. They can be mostly "set and forget" without worrying about maintenance - just keep the absorption and float voltages to specification and avoid discharging below 50%.

Well maintained flooded will outlast AGM by a good measure, but AGM will outlast FLA when neglected by a good measure. FLA can be equalized to reverse sulfation and require it periodically. Can't equalize AGM in the same way. FLA is cycles of deterioration (normal use) and recovery (equalization) with a progressively reduced capacity. AGM skips the equalization cycles and just slowly deteriorates with each cycle.

Your desire to spend your time doing something besides maintaining your FLA is justification enough.

Bottom line - buy an AGM made in the USA by a reputable company, and you can't go wrong. Buy the warranty, not the product.
Duracell claims to be made in USA https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sump-pump/12/sli31dtmagmdc?locationofinterest=&locationphysical =9027502&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_c ampaign=ecommppc&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZKNBhDiARIsAPsk0Wh dy8fOvo6Q-vQVimqj-mUXxm7fSYsI3GtSCkXAUUKq_WD7pZTSjhEaAlqJEALw_wcB
Old 12-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #15
Ddaddyo

If you have to check/fill the Batteries monthly their being Overcharged.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #16
Dallasrules

I have vmax tank batteries in my solar setup. I have been super impressed with them. This is the second season and I purchased them used. No problems so far. I have 8 in the solar. I use the two spares in my 5ver. Never have to w6about running out of power setting up front and back power Jack's and 4 slides. Support has been really great with vmax also. I have always been able to get a real person on the phone relatively easily and they have been more than happy to answer my questions.

Another thing with the vmax. I accidentally tried to hook up a wired wrong. It completely melted through the connection lug in an instant. There could have been major damage to the batteries, but luckily there was none.

My daughters 5ver has two Duracell bats and we have hitched and unhitched and run slides in and out at least 3 times without recharging. So happy with those also.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #17
skmct

I have been using agm batteries for many years about 20 in my antique cars. The big reason is some are located under the floor boards which limits access. Best life so far is is 10 years. AGM batteries do not like to be overcharged too high a charging voltage causes them to over heat. I have all of my voltage regulators set at 14.2 volts max. Which ever manufacturer you choose I would consult with them on a charging routine. The 10 years life was with a optima red top.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #18
Camp CA

220 Ah Lifeline AGM batteries. I have 2-12v and 4-6v on my sailboat and powerboat, respectively and plan to install same on my fifth wheel trailer this winter.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #19
snoobler

Quote:
Was speaking specifically to the Prius AGM:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli51pagm

Doesn't indicate USA, and label on battery says Korea.
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobler View Post
Was speaking specifically to the Prius AGM:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli51pagm

Doesn't indicate USA, and label on battery says Korea.
I'm from Texas and the only thing we use a Prius for is a speed bump 😁

Tags
battery