Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
locogk28

Auto slider hitch

I have a 2019 f150 5.5 bed i want to add a above rail auto slider hitch what one do you suggest
locogk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

What fiver are looking to tow with a F150? What's the payload capacity of your truck?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
travelin texans

As Marshall mentioned you might need to check the payload of your truck & calculate the pin weight of your 5er from the GVWR, not what's listed in any brochure or website, before using up 200-300 lbs of that payload with a slider hitch.
Just FYI, there are very few 5th wheels that are safely within the weight limits of a 1/2 ton truck regardless of the gimmicky name on the 5er or whatever either the truck or rv salesman may tell you.
Go to the "user CP" in the header to "edit signature" then to bottom to "save changes" & post the make, model & year of your rv & tow vehicle with any other information to aid when asking future questions.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Roper46

^^^^ What they said.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by locogk28 View Post
I have a 2019 f150 5.5 bed i want to add a above rail auto slider hitch what one do you suggest
I'd urge you to take a look at note 1 to the F150 Fifth Wheel Towing Chart on Page 20 in the 2019 Ford Towing Guide: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

(1) Vehicles equipped with 5.5' box will accept a 5th-wheel hitch, but current
5th-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with this model (145" wb.
SuperCrew).

You might want to do more research before spending money on an automatic sliding hitch and a fifth wheel for your truck. According to Ford, it's not compatible with fifth wheel towing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:07 AM   #6
asherdav

Beg to differ with you but there's several fivers out there that can be towed wit f 150. Just do some research and see what is available
asherdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:09 AM   #7
asherdav

A super glide will work with your short bed f150 and you will love it.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:21 AM   #8
asherdav

Thanks roper46 . No one answered the question but most had a opinion on what he can tow. Seem to find this alot on most forums.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherdav View Post
Thanks roper46 . No one answered the question but most had a opinion on what he can tow. Seem to find this alot on most forums.
Well not so much on what you can pull, as to what that F150 can carry! The 5er you are looking at is not a 5er for an F150!
Dry hitch is listed at 1,615# without batteries and propane, going to push 2,000# real quick.
https://www.rvguide.com/specs/keysto...-/299rlds.html
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:33 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
There is a reason you see this a lot. People are trying to help him make a sound decision.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #11
notanlines

Not to mention about 275 pounds off your available cargo capacity for the weight of the hitch.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #12
roadglide

Quote:
I would use Anderson hitch it weighs 45 lbs . With 1500 lbs hitch, dry for your hideout you will be pushing you gvwr for that F150.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:43 PM   #13
LERD

Quote:
I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.5 ft bed. I use the Pullrite 3100. Works fantastic. But its so heavy its never moved. Mine weighs in over 300lbs. I thought I could use the Anderson when I bought the rig. But it doesn't give you near enough room to maneuver. I have weighed my set-up, I'm 450 lbs over. 10plys and Timbrens for save. That is until this truck pricing availability crisis is over anyway.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Quote:
Beg to differ with you but there's several fivers out there that can be towed wit f 150. Just do some research and see what is available
Here we go again!
The ultimate tow beast...... a F150!!
You may be able to order a F150 HDPP that'll carry a small 5er, but it's doubtful you'll find that truck sitting on a dealers lot in the past & sure won't find one without ordering it nowadays.
Any truck is limited by a few posted weights on it's door jamb. Typically the 1st to be exceeded is the payload especially with a 5er on a 1/2 ton pickup. Being able to "move/tow" a trailer isn't the same as being able to "carry" the load associated with that trailer.
Ford advertised a F150 "towing" a million pound train boxcar, but there was absolutely no load "on" that truck. They probably could've "towed" that same boxcar with a Ford Focus.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-29-2021, 10:20 PM   #15
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Here we go again!
The ultimate tow beast...... a F150!!
You may be able to order a F150 HDPP that'll carry a small 5er, but it's doubtful you'll find that truck sitting on a dealers lot in the past & sure won't find one without ordering it nowadays.
Any truck is limited by a few posted weights on it's door jamb. Typically the 1st to be exceeded is the payload especially with a 5er on a 1/2 ton pickup. Being able to "move/tow" a trailer isn't the same as being able to "carry" the load associated with that trailer.
Ford advertised a F150 "towing" a million pound train boxcar, but there was absolutely no load "on" that truck. They probably could've "towed" that same boxcar with a Ford Focus.
Maybe…. It’s the unsolicited advice you give to every single new member about their tow vehicle that creates this? This is a Keystone forum, it would be awesome if we could just answer the question a member asks, if you don’t know the answer don’t reply. If a member posts in the section specific to tow vehicles have at it…
I know you are trying to do the right thing and save the world… so if it helps I’m about to buy a fuzion 499 and tow it with a modified Tesla model y.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:35 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
Maybe…. It’s the unsolicited advice you give to every single new member about their tow vehicle that creates this? This is a Keystone forum, it would be awesome if we could just answer the question a member asks, if you don’t know the answer don’t reply. If a member posts in the section specific to tow vehicles have at it…
I know you are trying to do the right thing and save the world… so if it helps I’m about to buy a fuzion 499 and tow it with a modified Tesla model y.
This opinion is not new either. This is a forum not a question and answer help line. The analogy I use is this:

Let's say you work in an office and the "new guy" from a different country just started. You walk in to the break room and meet him for the first time as he's making a cup of coffee. As you approach him you jote that he's about to pour the caustic coffee maker cleaner into his coffee. It's not his fualt. He doesn’t read English very well and after all the container had a picture of a coffee pot on it. He found it in the cabinet with the sugar so he doesn't understand that the contents are not meant to be used in coffee. So what do you do? Do you say "Nice to meet you" and walk away?

Someone that's new to towing a camping trailer is typically being exposed to a new and different experience. As with many things in life they are preyed upon by salesman looking for an easy mark to make money. It's not unusual for them to get "upside down" in their loans and danderously overweight or undersized in their tow vehichle. When they arrive here and ask an unrelated question I think not mentioning it does a disservice.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:53 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Well maybe it is the thought of helping people not getting in over their heads and putting themselves or others in danger.

Just a little research finds that the OP is looking at or has a 2018 keystone 299 rlds.
The specs for that 5er are as follows:
Length 33'
Dry Weight 8,850#
Payload Capacity 2,350#
GVWR 11,200#
Hitch Weight(Dry ) 1,615#

Sorry, a F150 3.5 EB can likely pull it, it just doesn't have the payload to carry it's pin, hitch, and passengers.

Do I see it often, Yes, too often, families pulling a 5er with an F150, not knowing or caring the danger they are putting their family in.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:15 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Let's use a different example: If this were a "parenting forum" and a new member posted a question such as, "My 6 month old wets the bed every night. Will eliminating the night feeding help? What's the best way to cope with this?" Would you "just answer the specific question" OR, would you go on to caution that the parent is expecting far too much from a child that age??? Sometimes, giving a specific answer is the WRONG thing to do... In the case of expecting a 6 month old child to sleep through the night without wetting the bed AND in the case of a new RV owner expecting a tow vehicle to perform safely and reliably while overloaded are, IMO, both examples of not helping a new member by "just answeing the question" but in going a step further to "also address why the answer is not going to fix the problem"....

When a "new member" asks a question about a sliding hitch (as in this thread) AND that sliding hitch is going to be used in a "truck that the manufacturer states is not compatible with fifth wheel towing" AND that hitch weighs substantially more than non-sliding hitches that could be used (against the manufacturer's recommendation) AND using that "much heavier sliding hitch" in a truck that's already OVERLOADED by the fifth wheel pin weight, before any hitch type is considered, then TRUCK CAPACITY becomes an integral part of answering any "hitch related question" ....

Sometimes, being "nice and welcoming" is not the only approach to a post. Possibly, we could separate "woke posts" from "real posts" or from posts that completely answer the new member's "ISSUES" rather than the "POINTED QUESTION" ???

To me, the bottom line is that far too many people are towing overloaded, some know they are overloaded, some suspect they may be overloaded and some know damn well they're overloaded and don't give a crap.... The first deserves to know the truth, the second deserves the recommendation to find out for sure and the third deserves firm information about what they're doing...

The "degree of knowledge" is no excuse to somehow put the rest of us in potential danger by "being welcoming and inviting to a new member"....

In the example above, it's likely child abuse to not feed an infant. What would you consider calling "holding information about potential safety issues" with a new member? And, if you really think it's OK to do so, then how long does someone need to be a member before anyone "addresses the elephant in the room" ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Okay so I'll give your typical response to that last comment,
"Welcome, I'm sure your Tesla will tow that just fine, you'll never know it's back there".
Same as the Tesla dealer & the rv dealers response to that scenario.
All of which are doing that Tesla owner a huge disservice. Yes people need to do a bit of due diligence of their own, but most newbies wouldn't have a clue as to where to begin to ask or find answers to their questions.....here comes a forum. Unfortunately a good many of them have already swallowed the BS from the rv/truck dealers that are only interested in making a sale.
If you don't like reading that your, or any else's, F150 or other 1/2 tons may not be up to the task they're attempting with it don't read my post or few of the others trying help inform them of their possible safety concerns.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #20
bigdave_185

Also take note the opp hasn’t been on the forum to see any of these responses
bigdave_185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, slide