Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyIRE View Post
Attachment 37208
Here is my Mickey Mouse battery compartment. Of Course the manual gear crank is located at the top! I may have to go through the wall and put the 2nd battery in the storage hold.
Your battery compartment appears to be the same configuration as my 2014 XLite 27RKS. I have two GC2 golf cart batteries installed in my compartment. (well, in the summer I have them installed, they are currently in the garage on a trickle charger). What you'll need to do is remove the current battery box, then measure carefully. You should be able to fit two GP24 or two GC2 batteries, "sideways" where the current battery is installed "lengthways".

I bought two GP24 battery trays, screwed them to the floor of that compartment, ran a battery strap under them, installed the golf cart batteries, placed a vented cover over the batteries and connected the vent tube to the front vent on the trailer.

It's worked well for 8 years with no problems.

Here's the battery trays I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The "plastic hold-down rods are too short for a GC2 battery, which is the reason I used a battery tie down strap with a buckle to hold the batteries in the tray.

ADDED: Your compartment "floor" is configured the same as mine. I cut a piece of half inch plywood to lay over the steel rigging and mounted the battery trays to the plywood. That way the compartment remains "vented below with the batteries still vented out the top".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY TRAY.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	37209  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
ADDED: Your compartment "floor" is configured the same as mine. I cut a piece of half inch plywood to lay over the steel rigging and mounted the battery trays to the plywood. That way the compartment remains "vented below with the batteries still vented out the top".
If you use FLA GC batteries in the storage compartment they must be vented top & bottom outside the compartment as John mentioned.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #23
Bamabox

Costco golf carts for the win/price/value/performance ratio. Don’t boondock much, but when we have they’ve been great. Leave them on the trailer all winter, as it’s plugged in. Check fluid level about 4 times a year. You will need new battery boxes. Drill some 1/4” holes in the bottom when you install to let water out.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
bbells

FYI, you can get 12v golf cart batteries with the same AH as 2 6v golf cart batteries. Sometimes it is easier to find a spot for 1 big *** battery than 2.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #25
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
This seems like the right thread to ask this in.

Can two 6v golf cart battery's fit in one regular 12v battery tray (holder)?

Pulled my two 12v battery's the other day and despite no issues during the season, there was a bit of corrosion on a terminal on each battery, one severe enough that I have not been able to remove the nut. So I may replace them both and move up to 4 golf cart battery's.
Yes, two will fit on the tray, but not in the original battery boxes. 6 Volt batteries are a bit taller. When I upgraded to twin 6 volt units, I replaced the battery boxes and the strap that holds the lid on. I hated that cheap plastic clip buckle that is a pain to secure and loosen. I replaced that with a cam buckle tie down strap I got at Napa. Once I had the strap in place, I cut the excess off and heat sealed the end of the strap. So far, they've gone from northern California to Vegas and back, and to Rapid City SD and back without issye. I used the factory positive cable, I moved the factory ground cable as my jumper from the primary to secondary battery, and bought a 42 inch 4 gauge ground cable to run from the secondary battery to trailer ground. We went boondock camping for a long weekend over Memorial day right after I made the swap. I took our generator, but never even unloaded or started it, The solar panel kept up with the load. We only used the water pump, a few lights, a bit of heat from the furnace but we also turned on the invertor and watched a movie at night as there were fire restrictions and it was a little chilly to be sitting outside.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #26
GHen

I think the reason some people like the two 6vCG over the one 12vCG is they are easier to get in and out. The dang things are heavy.

Whatever the preferences, just make sure they are true deep cycles. Generally, the heavier they are the better quality they are.
I wish I had the cash for Lithium’s…. Sure would be nice to have about 400 amphours of useable power and save a couple hundred pounds.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #27
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
...... Drill some 1/4” holes in the bottom when you install to let water out.
The point off the box is to contain battery leakage/failure (acid) in the box. Not a very bright suggestion.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:38 AM   #28
Shedboy

Twin 12 volt to twin GC2 6 volt change-over

Quote:
I will be upgrading my battery system on my Cougar x-lite 27 RDS. Currently it has one 12v Battery and I'll upgrade to two 6 volts for now. I'll look at the converter next week to make sure it's compatible. I do boondocking and I've have a generator for recharging.

Anyone have experience with these batteries:
VMAX XTR6-235 6 Volt 235Ah AGM Deep Cycle Group GC2 Battery for $350. A friend suggested staying with something that would be replaced a bit easier if there was a problem. (Wally World)

No experience with VMAX XTR6-235 batteries but - I upgraded to twin 6 volts on a Class C and increased usable service about 2 hours per day, then did the same replacement on a Springdale with similar results.

GC2 batteries that I used were Costco (Interstate) @ $100 each. Didn't turn in original 12V, keep them at home w Harbor Freight 25 Watt solar charger, and a HFT inverter, just in case. 1st rig is doing fine after 3 yrs, 2nd is good after 2yrs. 1st rig needed new battery hold downs, 2nd rig needed new battery boxes to accommodate the higher GC2's.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #29
MurphyIRE

All great info. The more info I get, the more research I'm doing. My previous trailer had all the solar connections, but my 27RDS doesn't have any solar connections. So that will be additional work and more research. Definitely need the good staying power at high/cold elevation for hunting. I'll start measuring next week for the batteries and then start ordering all the gear in the next couple of weeks.
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:58 AM   #30
ASCTLC

Have you considered getting the batteries moved into the front storge where they can stay warmer?

I have my battery box sitting on 1" closed cell foam for bottom insulation and during elk season I even loosely drape a moving blanket around my battery box to help charging warmth stay in the batteries as long as possible.

That little bit of insulation around the batteries definitely helps them get through a long cold night of constant furnace use better.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #31
MurphyIRE

Okay, Looks like I'm going with the Crown 235Ah GC 6v batteries (2) , the IOTA DLS -55 with the IQ4 smart and IQ4 Turbo modules. So I'm looking at the AiLi (6 in 1 guage) Battery Tester DC 300V 400A Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Amp Meter for around $36. Thoughts on the gauge?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:18 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Consider that the "sensor loop cable" is only 6' long. That means, if you're going to install it to monitor your batteries, the digital faceplate will need to be mounted within 6' of the battery location. Considering the "up and down, left and right" cable routing, that's not going to reach your "center hallway control panel" location.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #33
MurphyIRE

Renogy battery meter

Name:	Renogy 500 A _AC_SL1000 cropped .jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	37312

Name:	renogy shunt connector cropped .jpg
Views:	66
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	37313

Approx $68 with a 20' shielded cord
Old 11-30-2021, 10:09 AM   #34
MurphyIRE

I don't have a Crown dealer here in Montrose. The Area rep is going to work with me and I'm upgrading to the CR 260 @ 25 Amps they're 525 minutes. I'm going go with 2 batteries. A friend recommended 4 - 6v 450 Ah (Overkill)!
Old 12-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #35
MurphyIRE

I will have to fabricate a box for the batteries. The standard boxes won't fit.
To help with the boondocking and especially during hunting, I have ordered a 200W 12V Solar Power Kit | 200W Mono Rigid Solar Panels, 20A MPPT Solar Charge Controller to assist with recharging the Crown batteries. I hope to have all this done in January.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #36
GHen

6v Battery - any feedback?

Quote:
I don't have a Crown dealer here in Montrose. The Area rep is going to work with me and I'm upgrading to the CR 260 @ 25 Amps they're 525 minutes. I'm going go with 2 batteries. A friend recommended 4 - 6v 450 Ah (Overkill)!

I have four 6 volts and they are just adequate in my opinion , the ones he recommended should be a total of 225amp hour. The amp hours are divided by 2 when setting up as 12 volt system.

I also have 300 watts of solar, for my use, I would like to have 400watts on the roof.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #37
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
The point off the box is to contain battery leakage/failure (acid) in the box. Not a very bright suggestion.

It depends on where the battery box is mounted. In a compartment where they are not exposed to rain while towing then its not a problem.

On our old bumper pull the battery box was on the tongue and water would build up in the box because the lid is not air tight. Drain holes are needed to let the water out when the box is exposed to rain.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #38
friz

Quote:
Anyone have experience with these batteries:
VMAX XTR6-235 6 Volt 235Ah AGM Deep Cycle Group GC2 Battery for $350. A friend suggested staying with something that would be replaced a bit easier if there was a problem. (Wally World)
At that price I believe you can now buy LiPO with BMS installed.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #39
MurphyIRE

Finally done. I'm going to tiddy up the original wiring and I still have the solar system to wire, but they are going to be mobile and not on the roof. I designed the wires for bigger and better systems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery comp #1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	38426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iota chgr.covtr.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	38427   Click image for larger version

Name:	renogy Batt monitor.jpg
Views:	51