Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

truck on auto pilot

Was watching a commercial for a Chevy truck. The front and rear passengers were playing pattycake or similar while the truck drove itself. They were towing an airstream and passed another vehicle (while playing pattycake) on a bridge. This hands free driving seems to have crossed a line with me. Was bad enough when Chevy sold their trucks based on a 37 way tailgate then the camera system that made a trailer invisible but the pattycake no-steering mode seems insane. What if there was an emergency? Need to swerve, panic stop? Geesh, I ride motorcycles and seeing the Chevy driver in the lane next to me playing pattycake instead of driving is really disconcerting. Worse than being on a cell phone I think. Rant off; going home to get some dinner and watch the Spurs fall flat again...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
retiredusps69

self driving

do we really need self driving?? bad enough so many electronics failing on vehicles, no one paying attention to what goes on just a big mistake in my mind. maybe should do away with humans and only have robots.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Salty25

When they finally do get self drive working, and reliable, the roads should be safer. Hopefully they don't allow any mods to the programming to prevent people from making them drive like idiots.

Vehicles will sense and overload and not drive on the road; won't pull in front of another vehicle going faster and cause a rear end accident. My wife's car has the auto braking that will sense a vehicle two car lengths ahead stopping and apply her brakes to prevent a collision.

So, hopefully things will get safer on the roads.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty25 View Post
When they finally do get self drive working, and reliable, the roads should be safer. Hopefully they don't allow any mods to the programming to prevent people from making them drive like idiots.

Vehicles will sense and overload and not drive on the road; won't pull in front of another vehicle going faster and cause a rear end accident. My wife's car has the auto braking that will sense a vehicle two car lengths ahead stopping and apply her brakes to prevent a collision.

So, hopefully things will get safer on the roads.

Self driving vehicles are ridiculous and can't possibly be "reliable" (as in human brain power). Unless we put them all on a rail and let them roll behind each other there is no way they can watch, digest and then use intelligence to ascertain what is happening in front of them - ever.....unless we think we are going to let AI make our decisions and direct us - as we abdicate our ability to think.....enter Zagar and Evans "Year 2525" song.

As far as auto braking, auto sensing, auto slowing you down etc. etc. - I have it on all my vehicles....and they are disabled simply because they have zero intelligence, only some sensor functionality that leaves a lot to be desired. "Safer roads" depends 100% on driver competence, knowledge and adherence to established laws and rules.....whoops, that eliminated about 80% of the drivers on the road.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

“The roads must roll on”

By Robert Heinlein…read it, I did.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

There have been "SOME" improvements in self driving since 2019, which is when I did some research on the subject prior to buying DW's Edge (with some driver assist features). At that time, all the research pointed to the feature becoming an aid to driving, not a replacement for drivers. The startling tidbit, for me anyway, was that "driving technology" made an average of 8 critical errors per mile. Critical errors were defined as those that would have/could have resulted in an accident.... Thinking back to DD's "learning events", I don't think, even on her first "behind the wheel training session" that she made more than one or two of what I'd call "critical errors"...

So, appears the "self driving technology" is about 4 times more likely to have an accident than an unskilled human driver on their first attempt at controlling a vehicle on the highway......

Odds are not too great that it'll be trustworthy enough for me, and I don't really like "pattycake" anyway..... Now, maybe a bottle of good Scotch and some ice ????? With enough "liquid courage" I might be persuaded to let Ford's technology take me home

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
LHaven

All I can add is that I've had a very lucrative career babysitting automated systems that weren't performing as they were designed to perform. In a small but significant portion of that practice, actual smoke and fire were involved (and not environmental).
Old 11-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Roper46

I remember my store manager, when I was working, told me a story of when his step daughter went for driver's test at sixteen years old. He said she failed the test within the first five minutes when she backed out of the parking space. She failed because she used the backup camera in the dash and never once actually turned to look to the rear.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
rhagfo

I just wonder how well it works in snow, heavy rain, construction zones with just the little sticker tabs for lane markers.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #10
Canonman

"SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The driver of a Tesla electric car had the vehicle's semi-autonomous Autopilot mode engaged when she slammed into the back of a Utah fire truck over the weekend, in the latest crash involving a car with self-driving features."

This accident happened close to our home. I'm not trusting this technology. If you want to do something other than drive the car then get in the back seat and let someone else drive.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:28 PM   #11
firestation12

Currently only available on 1/2 ton trucks and the vehicle tracks the driver's eyes which must be looking at the road ahead for the autonomous steering to function.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:41 PM   #12
vampress_me

I’m not thinking I’m too worried about Chevy/ GM doing any self-driving vehicles anytime soon. They have started stripping features off their vehicles due to the chip shortages, can’t think this would be a high priority issue compared to losing features still standard on other brand trucks.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

"Why sure it can drive itself, park itself, hitch itself up yo your 30,000 lb. trailer AND only use 1 gal of gas per year!". The salesman said it so it must be true!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:28 AM   #14
Lee

Driving Under Influence (DUI) will have to be changed to Operating Under Influence (ODI).

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:15 AM   #15
ljdriscoll

I thought the same while watching the commerial
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:18 AM   #16
wiredgeorge

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:05 AM   #17
jsb5717

I wonder who get's sued when the accident happens...
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:50 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Reminds me of the "legendary" story about the 3 foreign exchange pilots that were assigned to a USAF flight training squadron in the southwest that rented a motorhome for a weekend and while in the mountains, the driver set the cruise control, got up to make a sandwich and, after recovering the wreckage at the bottom of the mountain, their government added another restriction on the entire group of pilots, no more weekend motorhome rentals.... I've no idea if that story is true or just "military legend"....

But, I can visualize the same happening with some of today's "less informed with factual information but with a high credit rating people who are gullible enough to actually believe a commercial like that". Hmmmm, I don't like patty cake, but I do need to check my email and watch a U-Tube video my buddy told me about.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have a '21 Kia Sorento that will do that, maybe not the lane change, but after a couple minutes it'll ding & flash a message to "keep both hands on the wheel".
I did notice in the video that the majority of the time the driver was looking forward.
Won't be long all the manufacturers will have that same option.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:15 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Reminds me of the "legendary" story about the 3 foreign exchange pilots that were assigned to a USAF flight training squadron in the southwest that rented a motorhome for a weekend and while in the mountains, the driver set the cruise control, got up to make a sandwich and, after recovering the wreckage at the bottom of the mountain, their government added another restriction on the entire group of pilots, no more weekend motorhome rentals.... I've no idea if that story is true or just "military legend"....

But, I can visualize the same happening with some of today's "less informed with factual information but with a high credit rating people who are gullible enough to actually believe a commercial like that". Hmmmm, I don't like patty cake, but I do need to check my email and watch a U-Tube video my buddy told me about.....
When I was learning to fly (private ticket) my flight instructor told me a similar story. He was talking about the plane operating manual. This was in the 1980's for a time frame. He told me the story of a 15 yr.that broke in to an airport, started a Cessna 152 and crashed and was killed attempting to take off. The family sued because the operatting manual did not say you had to be a licensed pilot to operate. He said the OP whent from about 15 pages of basically weight/balance and performance tables to about 50 pages of discliamers.

He also told the "Winnebago" story with a woman that bought it, set the cruise control and got up to make coffee. She sued for basically the same reason. Like the grandma with the hot McDonald's coffee or the cell phone causing fires while refuling the gas. I think it's likely urban legend that took on a life of it's own.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote