Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2021, 03:48 AM   #1
jxnbbl

Jack Back?

Well almost home from our last trip of the season and I'm stuck using the manual crank on my tongue jack. Actually experienced a "double whammy" as my tailgate didn't catch when shutting it, came down and hit the lippert jack "just right" (just wrong) and damaged the switch so it does not work. They are on back order and have ordered a new switch...but I really hate the placement of this thing. So the question for those more seasoned...

Has anyone invested the time/money into a version of these "jack backs" that allow movement of the jack back a few more inches so that the tailgate will not hit the jack when attached to the TV?

https://www.jack-back.com
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:31 AM   #2
notanlines

Jay, where are you going to relocate the propane tanks and battery?
You will notice the RV in their advertisement has neither tanks nor battery. Hmmmm....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:40 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Seems to me that simply giving the tailgate a simple tug to ensure it latches would be more economical. Most folks make some modification like turning the jack head 180° to allow the tailgate to open while hitched. The issue is, that typically doesn’t help if the truck is at much of an angle to the trailer.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:25 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember also that "tailgate clearance" is directly related to the angle of the trailer behind the truck. As long as you're "straight and not angled" you've got maximum clearance for the tailgate to lower. Back into a site at a 5 or 10 degree angle and you lose much of that clearance. Get to 25 or 30 degrees and the tailgate is going to hit the jack on almost every rig.

Modifications and products such as this "jack back" work in "SOME" but not all situations. You can "reduce your chances of damage but you can't remove all chances of damage"..... Putting the propane tanks "up front" can, in some situations, just mean the tailgate hits them instead of the jack....

Weigh all the potentials before spending that much money only to find out it helps, until it doesn't.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jay, where are you going to relocate the propane tanks and battery?
You will notice the RV in their advertisement has neither tanks nor battery. Hmmmm....
Scroll down to the bottom of their page….
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
mike95776

It looks like the weight distribution bar connection may be a challenge for the "Chain" type... the sliding bar type might work... take lots of measurements.... including the distance of the tail gate to propane tanks at 20 degrees@ backing...I have the sliding bar type and the trailer frame bar barely fit behind the propane tanks.
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM   #7
Customer1

Just turn the head of the jack 90 degrees.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:47 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Thanks for all the advise. I've only owned a trailer for 53 weeks of my life and as of this weekend drove over 12,000 miles with it attached. I'll first look at rotating the head (didn't know you could do that). There is a good amount of time with the trailer attached that I want access to the bed of the truck. Most of the time it is a direct line relationship between the truck/trailer so angle is not that important to me.

I just find it a pain that with the added height of the 3/4 ton TV (rams seem higher) that I can't really use the tailgate to get into the truck when I need access. Its a protocol of find padding to put on the jack head, open the tailgate to release the tonneau cover and either leave it ajar on the padding or close it then reopen to close the cover. It was last option the bit me this time.

I've already modified it to add a locking dual battery box for form 31 batteries and there seems to be enough room to slide both the jack and the propane tanks back to make the adjustment. BUT if rotating the head does the trick, that's even better as I have to fix the 1 month old new trailer jack switch anyways.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Check post #25 in this thread, it may offer a simpler solution that's virtually "free": https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=husky&page=3

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #10
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Check post #25 in this thread, it may offer a simpler solution that's virtually "free": https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=husky&page=3

Thanks! I actually will implement this method. I'm just waiting for my new switch to come in. I did some measurements and I think it will work as I only need something like 2 inches for clearance.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #11
Bandit12

I have a 18 Ram 2500 and I rotated the head on my jack. Very simple process and there are a few videos on YouTube.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:36 AM   #12
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I have a 18 Ram 2500 and I rotated the head on my jack. Very simple process and there are a few videos on YouTube.

I'm going to do the same....it is trivial to do and so obvious to me now! I'll do this when the new weatherproof switch can be ordered, this weekend I replaced it with a non-weather proof switch just so I dont have to crank the thing...will keep the non-weather proof switch with spare parts in case a switch goes bad on the road in the future.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I'm going to do the same....it is trivial to do and so obvious to me now! I'll do this when the new weatherproof switch can be ordered, this weekend I replaced it with a non-weather proof switch just so I dont have to crank the thing...will keep the non-weather proof switch with spare parts in case a switch goes bad on the road in the future.
This is NOT intended to be critical of what you're doing, I think we all do exactly the same thing with "spare parts"....

Your statement, "...will keep the non-weather proof switch with spare parts in case a switch goes bad on the road..." is a direct conflict with the statement made by many new RV owners, who say, "We always travel light and will NEVER have more than 300-400 pounds of cargo in our trailer."

Over the years, I think anyone with an RV has seen that "starting out weight" grow more rapidly than the "middle age spread" compensated for with a tighter belt or wearing pants below the belly.... We all, when winterizing or when looking for "those spare parts while on the road" wind up, at some point, emptying the passthrough and with all that "stuff" laying on the ground around the trailer, wonder, "Now how in the hell did I get that much stuff in that little area".... Reminds me of the proverbial, 10 pounds of "stuff" in a 5 pound bag.....

We all do it

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #14
jxnbbl

I just have a basic rule that the 'spare parts' can't be any heavier than the tools that I carry with me. And I don't carry extras that I can get at most campground stores of a hardware store. So it is something like an extra male end to a power cord and I think this switch is useful since it probably can be used temporarily for slides, stabilizer switch etc. So at the current time I'm at about the weight of a screwdriver or two :-)

The last trip I went through the weight in detail as we carried 12 cases of homebrew to a family wedding. One of the reasons for the solar install as when we got to the destination 4 cases of beer actually fit in the new trailers 12V fridge and cooled it down perfectly for the wedding the next day....but I could tell from the controller that the fridge was working quite a bit that day.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:17 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Time will change those spares and tools. I stay in improved (full facilities) campgrounds all over the place and there are MANY, MANY that don't have a camp store and a hardware store is 50 miles away (or more). Even then, the chance of finding that dual stage high pressure regulator, tube of dicor, Robertson screws (or screwdriver) etc. etc. etc. are slim to none.

Once it happens a couple of times where you have to drive 2-4hours one way to get that little part that could have been in the spares box.....that box, and the tool box, fill up.....at least for me because I've spent an entire 3 day holiday weekend driving all over the country trying to get a part because I didn't carry it, but I do now. It happens to nearly everyone that spends any time out RVing. That's why I always tell folks that say they don't carry anything, travel light etc. that it WILL happen if they spend any time out camping; or they will end up spending all their time on a vacation one day trying to run down tools and parts....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

I well remember a trip, way back in 1972, in southwest Colorado... DW, DD, me, the dog and our Jayco. After getting set up in a beautiful clearing in the absolute middle of NOWHERE, DW announced we were having spaghetti that evening. I built the fire, she started the sauce on the campfire. After smelling it cook for hours, we all were hungry. DW went inside the trailer to boil the noodles. Came to the door and announced, "We have no spaghetti"... A quick trip to town was in order. Town was 40 miles away. We got there, the only store was closed. On to the next town, another 20 miles away. CLOSED... on to Alamosa, where we found a 1 pound box of spaghetti noodles. Then the 75 mile trip back to the trailer, to find the sauce was cold, it was 10PM, DD was asleep, dog needed to be walked and even if we did build the fire again, it was too late to eat and enjoy it.....

Moral of the story: Spares are essential. Sometimes it's parts, sometimes it's food, sometimes it's both.... Even with the cheap gas prices back in 1972, that was a very expensive box of noodles.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-08-2021, 03:28 PM   #17
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I well remember a trip, way back in 1972, in southwest Colorado... DW, DD, me, the dog and our Jayco. After getting set up in a beautiful clearing in the absolute middle of NOWHERE, DW announced we were having spaghetti that evening. I built the fire, she started the sauce on the campfire. After smelling it cook for hours, we all were hungry. DW went inside the trailer to boil the noodles. Came to the door and announced, "We have no spaghetti"... A quick trip to town was in order. Town was 40 miles away. We got there, the only store was closed. On to the next town, another 20 miles away. CLOSED... on to Alamosa, where we found a 1 pound box of spaghetti noodles. Then the 75 mile trip back to the trailer, to find the sauce was cold, it was 10PM, DD was asleep, dog needed to be walked and even if we did build the fire again, it was too late to eat and enjoy it.....

Moral of the story: Spares are essential. Sometimes it's parts, sometimes it's food, sometimes it's both.... Even with the cheap gas prices back in 1972, that was a very expensive box of noodles.....
Sounds like a trip we took about 10 years ago. One of the first trips with our new to us pop up and our new lab puppy. Memorial Day weekend in northern California. Very unpredictable weather. I took care of the planning and packing. Started raining before we got the trailer closed up and as soon as we did, the rain stopped. DW and I ran to the store to get a few last minute items and DD called us to tell us puppy threw up in the kitchen......so CLEAN it! I can't! I'll puke too! No worries, we'll clean it as soon as we get home. Took care of that little disaster, get hitched up and head for the lake, 50 miles away. About 15 miles up the road, pouring rain again, kids (4 girls all teenagers) start squealing they think the pup is gonna get sick. We pull over Mom and pup get out, and nothing, Pup runs around, drinking water from a huge puddle. 2 or 3 minutes later, we're back on the road. 5 more miles, rain stops and pup pukes in the van all the water she drank from the puddle. We finally get to camp, get set up and start getting supper together. As DW is going thru the coolers, she asks me, where's the bacon and sausage? DAMNIT! I had precooked them, wrapped them in foil, and left them in the garage fridge. After supper, oldest daughter and I drive 50 miles back home, pick up the bacon and sausage, a couple extra blankets, a bottle of Jim Beam, and some more ice for the coolers and head 50 miles back to the lake. We get there, it's snowing! We get ready for bed and the furnace is having issues. The fan was hitting something internally and making one heck of a racket. Bad enough that we couldn't sleep with it on so we turned it off for the night. Damn near froze that night. Got up in the morning and as DW is going thru the coolers, she says oh shoot! We forgot the eggs! No store close, at least within 20 miles, I said we're having bacon sandwiches for breakfast! We made the best of the weekend until we got home Sunday afternoon. Go the camper parked, set up so we could unload and clean it, closed it back up, started laundry and I finally sat down in my chair in the living room. Turned on the TV and noticed a piece of paper on the table next to my chair. I picked it up and looked at it, it was my packing list. First three things on my list? Bacon, Eggs, Sausage. After that trip I made a packing checklist we still use to this day. My wife makes fun of me for it, but we haven't forgotten anything since!
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:54 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^The List!!

When we were young we always camped in the middle of nowhere. A couple of times "winging" it and sort of muddling through a weekend without the steaks, or bacon or eggs.....or a blanket, I started making lists. I've always been a detailed oriented guy and those missteps drove me crazy.

Over the years my lists have gotten very detailed from a "buy" list, to "groceries to take" list, to clothes, to tools....you get the drift. I make them for any/every trip. They were for me simply because I get unhappy if I forget something, ie; don't have something I want, so it was important to be thorough. Did it for 50+ years never thinking about it other than it was a little hangup of mine.

About 3-4 years ago while we were getting ready for a trip (early on) I had not made a list or pulled an old one. I saw DW was making notes here and there with items on them....strewn here and there. A week or 2 later she told me "you haven't made your lists" and I told her that I had been busy and forgot but would soon. She said she had never told me but she loved the lists and depended on them to help me (unbeknownst to me) ready things as we prepared - and she was just no good at doing it for me. I never knew but try to do better.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:31 AM   #19
jimborokz

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Time will change those spares and tools. I stay in improved (full facilities) campgrounds all over the place and there are MANY, MANY that don't have a camp store and a hardware store is 50 miles away (or more). Even then, the chance of finding that dual stage high pressure regulator, tube of dicor, Robertson screws (or screwdriver) etc. etc. etc. are slim to none.

Once it happens a couple of times where you have to drive 2-4hours one way to get that little part that could have been in the spares box.....that box, and the tool box, fill up.....at least for me because I've spent an entire 3 day holiday weekend driving all over the country trying to get a part because I didn't carry it, but I do now. It happens to nearly everyone that spends any time out RVing. That's why I always tell folks that say they don't carry anything, travel light etc. that it WILL happen if they spend any time out camping; or they will end up spending all their time on a vacation one day trying to run down tools and parts....
Totally agree, but it seems no matter how large the spare box is the very part I need is not in there.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Totally agree, but it seems no matter how large the spare box is the very part I need is not in there.
That's the theory for having a spare everything. That way nothing ever breaks!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote