Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
entropy1980

Adding Inverter to SolarFlex 200?

We have a 2022 1760BH due for delivery his week, I want to add an inverter (seeing as it should be arriving "prepped" with SolarFlex200). Has anyone added one to the SolarFlex models? If so, what inverter did you use and is it pretty straight forward? Thanks in advance!
entropy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
Canonman

It really depends on what you want to do with your inverter. Installation can be extremely simple as the method I used for our Cougar or "magnificently" complicated as some have come up with to power everything.
I'm not sure, but you may have the OTG (Off the Grid) package. If so there should be an inverter from the factory. If not, then you'll need to look at what you want to run from the inverter as well as your battery options.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
entropy1980

So no OTG package. My understanding is it basically comes with a 200w panel + solar charger + 2 batteries (assuming lead acid) and is "pre-wired" for adding an inverter.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980 View Post
So no OTG package. My understanding is it basically comes with a 200w panel + solar charger + 2 batteries (assuming lead acid) and is "pre-wired" for adding an inverter.
Here's the quote on the SolarFlex 200 system from the Keystone website:

SOLARFLEX 200 COMPONENTS
30A solar roof port w/ MC4 connectors & 10 AWG MPPT solar charging circuit
Future Solutions 200-watt solar panel
15A Victron SmartSolar MPPT controller w/ Bluetooth app
Inverted 110v loop prep with up to 7 outlets (inverter not included)
Zamp Solar portable solar panel charge port
Batteries not included

Batteries have always been a "dealer provided accessory" for as long as I've been buying travel trailers (over 50 years).

The "simple fact" is that the Springdale line doesn't have the markup or the profit margin of more expensive trailers, so dealerships are much more likely to "cut corners on dealer provided accessories"... That means, instead of installing 2 Deep Cycle golf cart batteries or two group 27 "high capacity batteries", dealerships are much more likely to install 2 "gp 24 marine/rv cheapies".... It costs them less and usually gets the customer off the lot while smiling over their new purchase..... It's only after a couple of trips that the customer puts "2+2 together" and realizes gp 24 cheapies aren't going to work... But for most, it's too late to get the dealer to trade "used batteries for better ones"... So the customer buys new batteries, another profit for the dealership in most cases....

So, if you haven't taken delivery of your trailer yet, MAKE SURE TO SPECIFY WHAT BATTERIES YOU'RE GETTING !!!!! Otherwise, you may wind up with a "fairly good solar system and nothing to store the energy it produces..... Lots of people on this and every other forum get "burned by dealers" that install undersized or even used batteries if there's nothing in writing to specify what the customer is paying for......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
entropy1980

Thanks! Yeah haven't taken delivery but assumed they would be bottom of the barrel batteries since it would be dealer added and not from the factory batteries. Appreciate the insight, I will probably see if I can negotiate a swap out or will be planning on replacing them with AGM soon after. I just can't seem to find any info on what exactly the pre-wiring info is for the inverter. I got "call the parts/service department and schedule an install" deal from sales and frankly I think it's an install I can handle, it really just boils down to I want to make sure I get a good inverter and that there are no "gotchas" with how they pre-wired.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
Canonman

So, what are your expectations for your inverter capabilities? Watch TV, run a PAP machine, Keurig coffee?? It will make a difference on the size of the inverter and the connection complexity.
If the trailer is "pre-wired" it may be a couple of the outlets are run back to the cargo area where an inverter could be installed.
Basically, the inverter input connects to the battery and the output to the wiring to the outlets.
We only use the inverter to run the T V and charge our electronics, phone laptop etc.
The inverter we used is an inexpensive 750 watt model from Walmart. We installed it on a shelf at the entertainment center with easy access to the TV and electronics. Everything just plugs directly into the inverter. I ran #10 wiring from the battery fusible link to the entertainment center and connected directly to the inverter where the battery cables normally connected.
Really easy, but our needs were pretty minimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f051020d-f101-4c0e-82df-5190c0cd13da.529b349d9ab7e2c70c50bd766cd73436.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	36549  
Old 10-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
entropy1980

I think we are wanting to run TV, CPAP etc. nothing crazy, I had been planning on something in the 2000watt range to have headroom if something came up later or we expanded batteries/panels.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
Canonman

Just remember that the higher the wattage of the inverter the more overhead there is. Even if your only using 500w the 2k inverter is still using more power than a 1k inverter to produce the needed/used power.
Also, If you're planning to spend more than 50% of your camping without hookups, I'd strongly suggest moving up to 2, 6vdc batteries. Especially running a CPAP overnight.
6vdc batteries are the best bang for the buck when it comes to dry camping.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
entropy1980

Oh that's good to know!Thank you, all the info is MUCH appreciated. We look to be boondocking/dry camping mostly.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
GHen

I have four 6v CG2 batteries and 300w of solar on the roof. Wish I had 400w solar but it’s a good setup. 2000w generator for recharging backup.

The inverter has nothing to do with the solar but everything to do with the batteries. I recommend a 2000w with a remote switch to turn it on and off. That would be enough to run a short time running items like a coffee maker or microwave. 500w is all you need for TV/satellite/radio. The more battery power, the longer you can use the items on the inverter.
The inverter should be installed as close to the batteries as possible.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
twanger

You might consider using the same Xantrex Freedom 2000 inverter that Keystone uses on the Solar Flex 400i. Or spend up for some more functionality. I just ordered a Passport with 400i so I won’t be much help until a couple months from now. I did see some pics of a 400i package on rvtrader a few weeks ago (a 219bh sold by GeneralRV) and noticed the inverter was mounted in the pass thru on port side on the “ceiling” in there.
twanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:29 AM   #12
RVGator

My 2022 Avalanche 378bh came with the SolarFlex 200. Dealer installed 2 batteries and because I have the residential fridge it also came with a 1000W pure sine wave inverter. I don’t do a whole lot of boondocking, but I figure the solar will be enough to help charge the batteries bumping down the road from whatever my truck doesn’t do. Having an issue getting the MPPT controller to Bluetooth into my phone to keep tabs on what it is doing, but working on that. If anyone has any suggestions or had the same issue please let me know what you did to fix.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:56 AM   #13
entropy1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger View Post
You might consider using the same Xantrex Freedom 2000 inverter that Keystone uses on the Solar Flex 400i. Or spend up for some more functionality. I just ordered a Passport with 400i so I won’t be much help until a couple months from now. I did see some pics of a 400i package on rvtrader a few weeks ago (a 219bh sold by GeneralRV) and noticed the inverter was mounted in the pass thru on port side on the “ceiling” in there.
Ah this is helpful, I only had the keystone part number not the actual model of what they were including with the 400i. Yeah it's supposed to have the "inverter ready" connections in the pass through.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:57 AM   #14
entropy1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
My 2022 Avalanche 378bh came with the SolarFlex 200. Dealer installed 2 batteries and because I have the residential fridge it also came with a 1000W pure sine wave inverter. I don’t do a whole lot of boondocking, but I figure the solar will be enough to help charge the batteries bumping down the road from whatever my truck doesn’t do. Having an issue getting the MPPT controller to Bluetooth into my phone to keep tabs on what it is doing, but working on that. If anyone has any suggestions or had the same issue please let me know what you did to fix.
Are you trying to connect to the MPPT with an android phone or iPhone?
Old 10-19-2021, 06:05 AM   #15
twanger

Here's that ad I mentioned, with the only pic of a Solarflex 400i that I've seen.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...9BH-5015945611
I'm trying to figure out where to put the batteries; outside on the tongue is pretty silly for this kind of setup where most folk would want LiFePO4 batteries installed inside.

twanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:11 AM   #16
RVGator

Quote:
Are you trying to connect to the MPPT with an android phone or iPhone?
I am using an iPhone 11.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #17
Kootbiker

I have a Solar flex 400i and I have tried two different apps with my I phone and can’t get any Bluetooth connection .
Kootbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootbiker View Post
I have a Solar flex 400i and I have tried two different apps with my I phone and can’t get any Bluetooth connection .
Have you tried to access the inverter through the InCommand bluetooth connection? There may be an "interconnection access" via the InCommand software program.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #19
Kootbiker

I will try that.
Kootbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:41 PM   #20
mikec557

Quote:
We have a 2022 1760BH due for delivery his week, I want to add an inverter (seeing as it should be arriving "prepped" with SolarFlex200). Has anyone added one to the SolarFlex models? If so, what inverter did you use and is it pretty straight forward? Thanks in advance!
I think you'll find a lot of good information in this line of posts. With all that your system comes with, I think you would be well served with an inverter with built-in bypass like the Xantrex models. I chose the 1000 watt model for CPAP, TV, laptop charging etc. There's an inverted outlet in the kitchen, but 1000 watts won't do much for you there. On the other hand, I was able to use 2ga wire for the inverter. You'd probably need 2-ought cable or bigger for a 2000 watt inverter.

Happy reading...

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=42742
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, solar