Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

What would you change?

We just got back from just over a 2 week trip in our RV (2018 passport 2920bh). It was a great trip, but looking back i started reflecting about what I would change in my RV, without having to buy a new one. We love the RV abd the layout, but there are some things about it that I would change. Here are the top 5 things I would change ( in no particular order):

- Have a walkable roof with a ladder to access it
- Replace my 2 seater couch with 2 recliners
- Add a few more inches to the bathroom in at least 2 directions
- have a light switch on the wall to control the light in the bunk room and move the bathroom light switch to the door wall so you can turn it on.
- put cross breeze windows that open on the side of the slideout.

How about you. I am sure everyone loves the layout of their RV thats why you bought it but what are the top 5 things (or Less) would you change about it if you would make any changes at all?
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

1. Solid walnut/oak/ash cabinetry.
2. Real leather on the furniture
3. Granite countertops, or at least the heavy Corian? like they used a few years back.
4. Should have put a 15k AC in the bedroom instead of the 13.5k.
5. Better wall coverings.

I realize that granite is not realistic given weight constraints but our last trailer had the "Corian" tops that were so much more solid than the new "solid" countertops. Hardwood stiles is not the same as solid hardwood cabinets like I had built into this house, it would just be nicer. Pleather is a pain no how you cut it BUT they actually have changed the material from the crappy stuff they had just a few years back.

This stuff is just off the top of my head as I read the post.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I wouldn’t change a thing!! That would just mean I have more work and less time!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ I'm with Chuck...

Everything you change on a trailer has "implications" somewhere else, often times, they're "hidden until it's too late"... Add "nicer wood cabinets" and increase the weight, often "top heavy weight" which changes the center of gravity (handling issues) and decreases the payload/cargo capacity... That doesn't matter to you? OK, increasing the weight puts the tires and suspension closer to the "rated max weight" and since the trailer is heavier, it takes more fuel to move it down the highway. Same with that thicker, more comfortable 14" mattress. If it's in a slide, can the mechanism handle the extra weight? If it's not in a slide, can you still sit up in bed without getting a headache from the overhead cabinet???

Most people, when they stop and look objectively at a travel trailer or fifth wheel, realize that it's a "remarkable feat" to put that many pieces together in a "box" and keep them together at 70 MPH, through a rainstorm or with sidewinds that are pushing the rig across a full lane of traffic. Then, add those potholes and the curbs that "show up out of nowhere" as you're turning into a gas station to refuel....

Trailer design takes a heck of a lot of "engineering, planning and even testing" to make sure what works on paper also works in the campground....

Are there things that can be improved? Sure..... But, changing a sofa for two recliners might mean the floor of the slide buckles when you hit that next pothole, or changing the windows so you have cross ventilation might mean the sidewalls can no longer support the frame and the next time you "crank up the rear stabilizers to stop the bouncing, the entry door no longer closes and the window buckles and the glass breaks into a thousand little pieces......

Think long and hard about "making changes" for nearly every change, something somewhere else is affected, and not always in a positive way.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
We just got back from just over a 2 week trip in our RV (2018 passport 2920bh). It was a great trip, but looking back i started reflecting about what I would change in my RV, without having to buy a new one. We love the RV abd the layout, but there are some things about it that I would change.
Nothing informs you what you want in an RV more than using your first RV.

After 10 years with our last one, DW and I made a short list of "had to haves" when we went shopping for this one:

1) Recliners instead of a couch
2) A TV you could watch without crooking your neck sideways
3) A shower I could fit in, without a curtain that blows in and clings to you.
4) A king bed.
5) 6'6" min ceiling clearance

Then we said no to anything that didn't have all those, and discovered Cougar did.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:04 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

There are differences I would choose if I were looking to buy another trailer (which is what I think the OP was refrencing) but nothing major that I would do. On our unit the only major upgrades (or updates if you will) were 1. Tires (Carslise), 2. Added a third electric stabilizer that match the original two. For as long as the trailer is it came with stabilizers front and back. Adding one in front of the front axle really improved the stability. 3. Replaced queen mattress, 4. Replaced BBQ grill (original was junk), 5. Replaced tongue jack with Husky Brute 4500 lb. with remote (original UF was junk), 6. Switched shore cable from "mouse hole" storage to Twist lock connector.

"Minor" upgrades/additions were numerous, generally conveince items and mostly a near even trade off weight wise. 1. Added folding step stabilizers to both set of steps. 2. TPMS system, EMS system, 3.Replace OEM tv with a larger Samsung (larger and lighter), 4. Bluetooth LP tank sensors, 5. Level Mate Pro, 6. Upgraded the radio, 7. Changed EVERY exterior lock barrell to the same key, 8. Installed grab bars in the inside of each exterior door.

There's likely anothe dozen or so "little" things like labeling the switches at the panel, or adding a remote fridge/freezer thermometers, etc. but I think this mostly covers it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:09 AM   #7
notanlines

Danny (TT) has commented many times about the TV being positioned where you don't have to bend your neck to watch. That is one of the most important things.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:45 AM   #8
jxnbbl

We are going through this now. We bought and own our first trailer last year and when purchasing we bought it with our grandchildren in mind. It is basically fine for us but after crashing a couple of our grandchildren's vacations where they want to stay with us (instead of the hotel/condo...and they do stay with us) These are the two items that we would like changed:

1. a bunkroom with a door instead of a curtain.
2. a larger bath room or 1 1/2 baths
3. U shaped dinette.
4. And don't change the overall length (that much)

In looking at this, we were very fortunate to have the sales guy that we did have and luck of what was on the lot...due to the limited supplies because to fill the above list we have found a number of things that we currently have that other models don't give us. Mainly full functionality *without* the slide(s) out. We are currently evaluating two 1/2 ton 5th wheels in the 28 ft range that provide the above but don't deduct from the current functionality that we have grown to depend on.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:04 AM   #9
gearhead

Cabinet latches. The "roller latches" we have just don't work. I have bungee cords on about all of them. I believe I will replace them with the magnet type, unless someone has a better idea.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #10
Jon Herrick

More pantry storage, more outside storage, solar panels on roof, and built in genset!
Jon Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:59 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

The "key" to the OP's first post was the part, "looking back i started reflecting about what I would change in my RV, without having to buy a new one."

To me, that statement indicates a desire to modify the existing trailer, not "what to look for in the next one"..... The "without having to buy a new one" and listing things like increasing the size of the bathroom, adding "cross ventilation windows" and incorporating a "walk on roof" without having to buy a new trailer.....

Those kinds of "modifications" go way beyond changing cabinet knobs or stereo brands.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

We have owned quite a few campers. We are also constrained to a limited length due my parking slip on my property. We live in the Texas Hill Country and the parking slip will keep us close to a 32' max. My wife loves a lot of kitchen counter space so a rear kitchen is pretty much a given on a shorter fifth wheel... ok having said that:

This is a function of the basic construction. We have a walkable roof so if you wish to get on your roof, search for posts for being on a non-walkable roof. You need something on the roof to distribute weight.

We disliked our pull out bed couch and replaced it with a LazyBoy love seat recliner. Could have easily have replaced it with two recliner. Look for furniture where the backs slip out of the back part as they are easy to get in and out of the camper.

I hear you. Our bathroom holds toilet & shower. Sink is in the bedroom Not much can be done there as it is a function of the basic construction layout. We put an articulating shower rod in our bathtub/shower so the curtain is not on you while showering. The shower is about 2' wide so this was a must-have mod.
https://www.amazon.com/Stromber-Exte.../dp/B07T3V78R6

- have a light switch on the wall to control the light in the bunk room and move the bathroom light switch to the door wall so you can turn it on.

Can't help you there as our bathroom light switch is on the wall. I suspect someone can give you a hint hot to do it. I am guessing you would fish the wire and pull it down the inside wall and wire to a switch.

Seldom camp with windows open and usually run A/C or heat. We have about 3 days of open windows temps in Texas where we live.

Don't be afraid to mod your trailer to make it your own. We did and are happy.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Nothing informs you what you want in an RV more than using your first RV.

After 10 years with our last one, DW and I made a short list of "had to haves" when we went shopping for this one:

1) Recliners instead of a couch
2) A TV you could watch without crooking your neck sideways
3) A shower I could fit in, without a curtain that blows in and clings to you.
4) A king bed.
5) 6'6" min ceiling clearance

Then we said no to anything that didn't have all those, and discovered Cougar did.
Our "entertainment center" sits at 90 degrees to our loveseat. The TV is set back about a foot in the thing and the person nearest the TV (me) couldn't see it for the most part (strained neck). I built out the back part using furniture grade plywood and stained it to match and put an articulating TV mount that comes out from the recess quite aways and can be turned to allow easy viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LazyBoy.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	35282  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
We just got back from just over a 2 week trip in our RV (2018 passport 2920bh). It was a great trip, but looking back i started reflecting about what I would change in my RV, without having to buy a new one. We love the RV abd the layout, but there are some things about it that I would change. Here are the top 5 things I would change ( in no particular order):

How about you. I am sure everyone loves the layout of their RV thats why you bought it but what are the top 5 things (or Less) would you change about it if you would make any changes at all?
- Have a walkable roof with a ladder to access it Got one, and I still ain't getting up there . the ladder is only good for 150 pounds about twice before the screws start to loosen
- Replace my 2 seater couch with 2 recliners Got the theater seat recliners, I'm going to replace them with one grownup recliner
- Add a few more inches to the bathroom in at least 2 directions Nope happy with ours, but that was a prerequisite from the get go
- have a light switch on the wall to control the light in the bunk room and move the bathroom light switch to the door wall so you can turn it on. not an issue... no BH and bathroom switch is already there
- put cross breeze windows that open on the side of the slideout. Sounds good until you forget to close them and retract the slide
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #15
InkedMarie

We bought three TT’s in a year & few days. Our Cougar 32 RLI is almost perfect. The only thing I would change is the cabinetry inside; I’d prefer white. Easier to open windows, day/night shades (ours are fake wood & a pain) and a roof vent in living room.

It didn’t come with a bedroom AC but we had one installed.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

I will go a little direction:
1 get TPMS
2 Switch to 6v batteries
3 Add vent covers on each vent.
4 Change out mattress
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #17
jasin1

Changed from a king to a queen mattress…it was almost perfect
Today I disconnected the annoying blue light in the bedroom light switch …now it’s perfect
Old 08-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #18
Jon Herrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Changed from a king to a queen mattress…it was almost perfect
Today I disconnected the annoying blue light in the bedroom light switch …now it’s perfect
How do you disconnect that blue light? I would love to do that!
Jon Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Herrick View Post
How do you disconnect that blue light? I would love to do that!
I just removed the 12 volt wire to the diode side of the switch….it’s a night and day difference ( quite literally)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
put cross breeze windows that open on the side of the slideout. Sounds good until you forget to close them and retract the slide
Many slides do come with cross-breeze windows on the front and back... obviously not the louvered ones, for just the reason you imply, but flat-raise click-stop windows, that you actually can retract the slide and tow without closing, if you wanted to.

As far as the bathroom light switch, humorous nearly-OT observation:
Until the mid '70s or so, the (extremely parochial) electrical code in Massachusetts required light switches for "water rooms" (like bathrooms and kitchens) to be located on the wall outside those rooms, never inside. My father in law had a summer cottage on the lake that had a bathroom that opened into the kitchen. Endless fun with building inspectors.