Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
Ajbryant80

Generator mounting..

oddball question. I have a 2020 Keystone passport GT 2950BH and I was wanting to mount a generator on either the Nose over the propane tanks OR on the rear bumper. I have found mounts for the front.. but what would be needed to mount a rack on the rear IF possible.. and if it is not possible how would I go about beefing up the rear to add a mount?? just a random thought.. but I figured I would start this project now in the winter..
Ajbryant80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbryant80 View Post
oddball question. I have a 2020 Keystone passport GT 2950BH and I was wanting to mount a generator on either the Nose over the propane tanks OR on the rear bumper. I have found mounts for the front.. but what would be needed to mount a rack on the rear IF possible.. and if it is not possible how would I go about beefing up the rear to add a mount?? just a random thought.. but I figured I would start this project now in the winter..
The bumper was designed to carry the weight your sewer hose, don't mount anything else to it that you want to arrive at the same place as you & not along side the highway or in someone's grill.
As for mounting it on the tongue, that depends on the payload capacity of your tow vehicle, can it stand another 100lbs added to the tongue weight.
Your rv has a GVWR of 7800lbs = 1000+/-lbs tongue weight (10-15% of the rv GVWR, 13% being a real life average) to start + the weight of everyone/everything in/on your truck that didn't come from the factory + the generator weight subtracted from it's payload posted on the drivers door jamb.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Sir, questions like you pose might be better answered with context if you put a signature on your posts with year, make and model of your camper and the same for your tow vehicle. Signature is under the UserCP at top left of every page. Make sure you save it when done.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
Logan X

I would not mount a generator to the bumper. As it was stated above, the bumper is only designed to carry a sewer hose and maybe the spare tire. Even if you beefed up the bumper to carry the weight, you may encounter clearance problems with the generator scraping on driveways and dips in the road. Also, stuff mounted to the rear bumper gets bounced around a lot, due to that location being like the end of a see-saw, as you are going down the road.

I there a reason you don’t want to carry the generator in the bed of your truck?
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
Ajbryant80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Sir, questions like you pose might be better answered with context if you put a signature on your posts with year, make and model of your camper and the same for your tow vehicle. Signature is under the UserCP at top left of every page. Make sure you save it when done.
fixed, sry about that..
Old 11-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
Ajbryant80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I would not mount a generator to the bumper. As it was stated above, the bumper is only designed to carry a sewer hose and maybe the spare tire. Even if you beefed up the bumper to carry the weight, you may encounter clearance problems with the generator scraping on driveways and dips in the road. Also, stuff mounted to the rear bumper gets bounced around a lot, due to that location being like the end of a see-saw, as you are going down the road.

I there a reason you don’t want to carry the generator in the bed of your truck?
the thought has crossed my mind and even hauled it that way a time or two. its a bit overkill but a 9000W (8750) for a 34ft camper.. boasts about 200lbs dry weight. gets to be a bit much. was looking for an alternative possibility.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
Texas Steve

You could always sell the 9K generator and get a 3500 watt inverter generator. Probably weigh a lot less and less noise. Who doesn't like new toys?
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
Ajbryant80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
You could always sell the 9K generator and get a 3500 watt inverter generator. Probably weigh a lot less and less noise. Who doesn't like new toys?
I still have one in the box with a battery and the Wheel kit.. in storage.. we had a huge campout planned in southern Illinois at a place called Turkey Bayou. and we had 4 campers lined up. I got these 2 for a steal right before the pandemic started.. and only used one.. the other is most likely gonna be sold.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
the thought has crossed my mind and even hauled it that way a time or two. its a bit overkill but a 9000W (8750) for a 34ft camper.. boasts about 200lbs dry weight. gets to be a bit much. was looking for an alternative possibility.
Does your camper have one or two air conditioners? If you run one A/C then you can likely get away with a 4000/3500W generator. Here is an example:
https://generatorbible.com/generators/wen/gn400i/

This guy weighs 66 lbs so for a young guy like you, should not be a problem to stash in the truck bed and remove to run. Keep in mind a generator doesn't like to be out in the rain so you will need to fab or purchase some sort of temp enclosure.

I just bought this generator's big brother, a Wen 625I and it is 127 lbs. It ain't going camping but will use for power outages at the house. It replaces a Champion dual fuel which has been totally unreliable. On downside to the Wen lineup is it is recoil start only. If by some chance you elect to get a Wen generator, buy from their website as they are considerably less expensive than Amazon or elsewhere and offer free shipping.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #10
Ajbryant80

Quote:
Does your camper have one or two air conditioners? If you run one A/C then you can likely get away with a 4000/3500W generator. Here is an example:
https://generatorbible.com/generators/wen/gn400i/

This guy weighs 66 lbs so for a young guy like you, should not be a problem to stash in the truck bed and remove to run. Keep in mind a generator doesn't like to be out in the rain so you will need to fab or purchase some sort of temp enclosure.

I just bought this generator's big brother, a Wen 625I and it is 127 lbs. It ain't going camping but will use for power outages at the house. It replaces a Champion dual fuel which has been totally unreliable. On downside to the Wen lineup is it is recoil start only. If by some chance you elect to get a Wen generator, buy from their website as they are considerably less expensive than Amazon or elsewhere and offer free shipping.
thx for the heads up.. i may just get a smaller generator.. and do it that way.. and as for the young comment.. possibly a little older than you might think.. lol just flipped to 41yo back in Aug..
Old 11-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
thx for the heads up.. i may just get a smaller generator.. and do it that way.. and as for the young comment.. possibly a little older than you might think.. lol just flipped to 41yo back in Aug..
Didn't anyone check your ID when you signed up? We do have a minimum age requirement to keep kids out! I thought it was 65 but may be wrong.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
I've been rving longer than 41 years!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I guess that replaces me as the youngster at 67.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:57 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yep. I bought my first RV, a 1963 VW campmobile, in 1967 while stationed at Lowry AFB in Denver. I spent every spare weekend in the mountains, even if it was a quick trip "just above Golden (Coors) in the parking lot at Buffalo Bill's museum parking lot. I drank way too much of that "Colorado Kool-Aid" sitting on top of that mountain, looking out over the lights of Denver... That was "just a couple of years ago".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:51 AM   #15
Ajbryant80

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
my earliest memories of camping were when I was a kid and looking over family pics as well was when we camped in the OLD green canvas Coleman tents.. the main reason I remember it so much was when we had a rainstorm come thru.. and those tents weighed a ton when they got wet... I have been camping for the better part of 35+ years.. Finally, last year bought my first camper and now we just go camping more often..
Old 12-01-2021, 06:56 AM   #16
Ajbryant80

Quote:
Didn't anyone check your ID when you signed up? We do have a minimum age requirement to keep kids out! I thought it was 65 but may be wrong.
Oh they checked it and when they saw I hold a CDL they told me to be good and everything would be ok. just watch out for the old-timers.. they are kinda Grumpy in the morning before their coffee..

Not giving names on who said this I'm just the messenger..
Old 12-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
my earliest memories of camping were when I was a kid and looking over family pics as well was when we camped in the OLD green canvas Coleman tents.. the main reason I remember it so much was when we had a rainstorm come thru.. and those tents weighed a ton when they got wet... I have been camping for the better part of 35+ years.. Finally, last year bought my first camper and now we just go camping more often..
Now if we're talking "camping" then I've been doing that a loooooooong time, been rving for more than 40 years.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #18
Spritnsky

Can be done

It can be done by mounting a generator to the read bumper. That is where mine is installed. It's a Generac. Weight with full tank fuel is 85lbs. We also have a storage box on the opposite side. So total weight is 135 lbs. I bought 4 of the bumper brackets from Amazon. They are on the Generator side and 2 others are on box side. 2 is rater at 400 lbs. I beefed up the bumper to frame with 1/4 inch steel. Plus bolts with spacers inside the bumper to help bumper twisting. Have had it for a year and we are full time rv'ers. Been all over out west from Big Bend to Glacier. Over 14,000 miles on the camper. We are now in southern Florida. So far not one problem. You just have to figure where the weak points are and reinforce them. May not be for every one. Oh, out bikes are on the front over the L.P
tanks. Good Luck, wherever you do and safe travels.
Spritnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritnsky View Post
It can be done by mounting a generator to the read bumper. That is where mine is installed. It's a Generac. Weight with full tank fuel is 85lbs. We also have a storage box on the opposite side. So total weight is 135 lbs. I bought 4 of the bumper brackets from Amazon. They are on the Generator side and 2 others are on box side. 2 is rater at 400 lbs. I beefed up the bumper to frame with 1/4 inch steel. Plus bolts with spacers inside the bumper to help bumper twisting. Have had it for a year and we are full time rv'ers. Been all over out west from Big Bend to Glacier. Over 14,000 miles on the camper. We are now in southern Florida. So far not one problem. You just have to figure where the weak points are and reinforce them. May not be for every one. Oh, out bikes are on the front over the L.P
tanks. Good Luck, wherever you do and safe travels.
I'll add the disclaimer to this;
DO NOT mount a generator, or anything of any weight, to the bumper without at least the same amount of the forementioned reinforcements.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #20
Gunny Mike

We have a 341RD Outback that came with a rear fold down cargo carrier that has a capacity of 300 pounds. If we need to run the air conditioner we put our Champion on the back to the right of the plug in, then have our 30 amp cord rolled up with the ends being loose enough to plug it in at a Walmart parking lot or a rest area. If AC isnt needed I have a Masterforce portable toolbox on wheels that has a 100AH litbuim battery, 2000 watt inverter, and 30amp solar controller in it for our plug in needs. Don't know if I'll put that on the back rack though.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, mount