Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #1
DDG

Resettable circuit Breaker

I know this has been asked before the circuit breaker, the one on my 2017 cougar 28 rks is acting strange. What happens when we open the dinning room slide it will pop, then will reset and you can finish opening the slide. I know they can get weak over time should I replace them just to be safe. Are they 30 amp or 50 amp resettable or go to a 80 amp. Thanks for any help. DDG
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG View Post
I know this has been asked before the circuit breaker, the one on my 2017 cougar 28 rks is acting strange. What happens when we open the dinning room slide it will pop, then will reset and you can finish opening the slide. I know they can get weak over time should I replace them just to be safe. Are they 30 amp or 50 amp resettable or go to a 80 amp. Thanks for any help. DDG
the rating is usually stamped on the reset button/lever. The breaker trips when the current your slide draws exceeds the breaker rating. i'd check alignment, check for drag, binding, bad bearings in pulleys, etc. Always replace with the same rating, NEVER use a breaker with a higher rating than was installed by manufacturer. The breaker protects your wiring and ultimately can prevent a fire.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:50 AM   #3
DDG

Thanks Gkri for the reply I will pull one out of the batterie compartment and replace with the same amp. Thanks DDG.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The "replacement of a 50 amp with a 80 amp circuit breaker" does not apply to the Cougar trailer line with electric slides....

That "circuit breaker swap" was/is intended ONLY for the hydraulic systems in some of the larger fifth wheels. The power requirement for the HYDRAULIC PUMP circuit is what is being addressed with that circuit breaker...

DO NOT INSTALL LARGER CIRCUIT BREAKERS IN A COUGAR FIFTH WHEEL TO "SOLVE" CIRCUIT BREAKER MALFUNCTIONS. The wiring is not sized for any upgrade to those systems and you will induce larger problems, potentially like melted wiring harnesses or charred flooring......

Stick with the "engineering specifications" of the OEM circuit breakers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
DDG

Thanks JRTJH, For the reply. I just pull one of the breakers out and it's a 50 amp that is what I will replace it with that . When I do replace them I will pick up 4 of them that way I have 2 on hand. Thanks for the help. DDG
Old 11-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
the rating is usually stamped on the reset button/lever. The breaker trips when the current your slide draws exceeds the breaker rating. i'd check alignment, check for drag, binding, bad bearings in pulleys, etc. Always replace with the same rating, NEVER use a breaker with a higher rating than was installed by manufacturer. The breaker protects your wiring and ultimately can prevent a fire.
It's a moot point in this case, but I think the OP is referring to an automatic reset circuit breaker. It has no levers or buttons. The slide will move a little, then stop, the breaker auto resets, and the slide will move again.
It's a much discussed subject on forums. Like John said it applies to the circuit breaker for the hydraulic pump for hydraulic slides. As I understand it, Lippert has suggested changing the breaker from 50 to 70/80.
To be clear, this is only for the hydraulic pump breaker.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Those breakers have a "copper colored terminal" and a "silver terminal"... Pay attention to which terminal is connected to which side of the circuit... They aren't "just connected" but specifically connected to the supply line and the load line....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
DDG

Thanks gearhead and and JRTJH for the replys on this. Before I remove the breaker I always take a photo of the way the wires are hook up because I will replace them in the spring because it's getting colder here in Minn. I called Auto value and they get $8.00 a breaker also call camping world and they want $40.00 for the breaker I will go with Auto value and get 4 of them. Thanks DDG.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suspect that the circuit breakers on your trailer are different amperage ratings. You may have pulled a 50 amp breaker, but that's no assurance the other ones are also 50 amps... Typically, there's a 50 amp and one or two 30 amp breakers mounted right beside that one...

Check each one before you buy replacements. Most stores won't allow returns or exchanges on electrical items.

AutoZone usually has "plug in circuit breakers" not the same configuration as what you'll need. So, before you head to the store, make sure they have the right parts. (photos below)....

Also, they are "cheaper on Amazon"... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JT8CSFB...NrPXRydWU&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15 AMP MINI FUSE BREAKER.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	37152  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #10
DDG

Thanks JRTJH, I will check both of the breakers before I buy them and will look at amazon. Thanks DDG.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
DDG

JHTJH, thanks for that heads up about that both both breakers are not the same amps one is 50amp and the other is 30amp. Order them both on Amazon. That is why I came on the forum to ask this question I know someone would know how to answer the question. Thanks to all that reply. DDG
Old 11-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #12
Westie

I have 2012 Cougar 21' rbs purchased 3 yrs. Ago.
When I plugged in the cord to my truck, I heard some clicking noise near trailer battery. The trailer lights turned on without truck lights on. The pinout on my truck was wrong. I camped twice, got home .. then slide didn't work. After much checking everything with multi meter, I found the 30 Amp auto reset breaker was bad.
Bought (2) from Amazon. Fixed pinout. That's what made mine fail. Cheers ��
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #13
Pete C

Had the same problem, went from a 30A to a 50A, no more problem
Pete C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #14
TAJWEINBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd suspect that the circuit breakers on your trailer are different amperage ratings. You may have pulled a 50 amp breaker, but that's no assurance the other ones are also 50 amps... Typically, there's a 50 amp and one or two 30 amp breakers mounted right beside that one...

Check each one before you buy replacements. Most stores won't allow returns or exchanges on electrical items.

AutoZone usually has "plug in circuit breakers" not the same configuration as what you'll need. So, before you head to the store, make sure they have the right parts. (photos below)....

Also, they are "cheaper on Amazon"... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JT8CSFB...NrPXRydWU&th=1
Hey John ... any idea why these breakers go bad quickly? I had this replaced in July and find I need to replace again.
TAJWEINBERG is offline   Reply With Quote