Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
linux3

Truck Brands

I read a lot about Ford F150 with and without trailer packages.
F250 vs F350 and 450 and on and on.
Very little about GM.

Rochester NY is home of GM Fuel Systems, formally Rochester Carburetor.
Are you old enough to remember Rochester Carb?
Delphi Tech Center, one time Delphi Systems.
Delco Rochester was a huge plant. Now gone.
GM Fuelcell was in a suburb of Rochester.
Tonawanda Engine plant is just down the road. A major GM engine plant.

The biggest Chevy dealer in the US is Bob Johnson Chevy. Their sales office looks like a call center. Huge.

I know Ford sells almost as many trucks as GM but I just don't see it.

Is it home town advantage? I drive around and Ford trucks are way, way less common than Chevys and GM.

I'm not starting a war here. I've heard that the F150 is the number 1 seller but around here they are not real common.

Interesting.... In your area are Ford trucks more common and is it because of being built there?
We did a tour of the Ford Rouge River F150 assemble plant and my Silverado was odd man out for sure.
BTW the guide talked about the size of Rouge River and I wasn't impressed. Kodak Park is 8 MILES end to end.
Anyway, your non nasty comments?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

It appears your local observation is not a nationwide trend:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-u...ures-by-model/

Ford appears to be a bit ahead of GM (Silverado and Sierra combined) and Ram looks to be about neck and neck with Silverado. Where I live, Ford trucks seem to be the majority especially white pickups as the hot sun sees white as the best seller. F150s have to be the most popular Ford. Haven't seen many of the new Rangers on our roads perhaps because the new Ranger may be less available.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Very little about GM.

The biggest Chevy dealer in the US is Bob Johnson Chevy. Their sales office looks like a call center. Huge.

Is it home town advantage? I drive around and Ford trucks are way, way less common than Chevys and GM.

I'm not starting a war here. I've heard that the F150 is the number 1 seller but around here they are not real common.

Interesting.... In your area are Ford trucks more common and is it because of being built there?
We did a tour of the Ford Rouge River F150 assemble plant and my Silverado was odd man out for sure.
BTW the guide talked about the size of Rouge River and I wasn't impressed. Kodak Park is 8 MILES end to end.
Some of the reason Ford sells more is the 100s of thousands they lease to companies for employees to drive each year. Not necessarily due to being the best option, but rather the cheapest option.
Drove Ford trucks at work daily from 1978 to 2015 from F150s to F350s gas & diesel & I will say they weren't leased due their good ride, handling, low maintenance nor fuel mileage. I'll admit they were the absolute most basic trucks built, fairly certain you wouldn't/couldn't find one like them on a lot not even in the commercial lot & sure most wouldn't buy one if there was one, but the same chassis as on all of them built regardless of option package.
Also not trying start a truck war either, but giving my .02 cents from driving them 60k+/- miles a year for 30 years on highways, back roads & oil field lease roads.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
notanlines

Usually internet trollers have their information a little more accurate than you seem to . Ever hear of Galpin Ford? 8000 vehicles out of ONE dealership. Dave Smith Motors, Chrysler Ram. 5500 out of ONE dealership.
And yes, Ford sells more trucks than your beloved Chevy. The truck plant in Detroit puts out 1500 F150’s per DAY.
Rochester fuel injection? Sure in my 375 HP 1964 Corvette. My next 1964 Corvette had 365 HP with 650 Holly dual pumper. Some of us go way back with Chevy.
I like em all, and I try to bash only owners with teenie trucks that try to convince us that theirs is a veritable towing beast! Kinda like the Honda owner towing a 28’ bullet and ‘it doesn’t even know it’s back there.’
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Way back in the 90s when I was working auto theft full time and had tons of useless data. We had a similar talk over coffee. Than the computer guy looked up data. He first showed how many plants Ford, GM and back than Dodge had making pickups. This may not be 100% accurate just from recall. In numbers Ford had about the same number of plants building F series than Dodge and GM combined looking at plants in US, Canada and Mexico. Than in numbers of sales which I do not recall showed Ford way ahead the others.
None of that means 1 pickup is better than another, just the raw numbers of production and sales.
As mentioned fleet buyers never buy the best, they buy the least cost. With insider information year to year I learned why. Most years the OSP fleet manager would tell us why xx vehicles were being bought. It was never because 1 was better. It was cost. Some auto companies would almost give a certain vehicle away just to have PD decals, public motor pool or Joes plumbing put on the doors. Its advertising and for some it works.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

What you're seeing is regional buying....factory right in town or thereabouts vs cross country and it's certainly not indicative of around the country.

In my neck of the woods in W TX there will be more Rams and Fords than GMs....but not many; pretty much an even mix based on owner "likes" I suppose. The "Big 3" used to have a lot of difference in their trucks and folks gravitated to them depending on what "truck abc" excelled at that they liked. Nowadays the differences are much more subtle and in the end not much difference between them......except that 12" x "forever" center screen in my Ram that has so much stuff on it I can't possibly try to read it and drive.....enter DW!!!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Do you remember Guide Lamp and Delco Remy? Guide Lamp manufactured automobile headlights for GM, and Delco Remy manufactured engine parts.

Delco Remy History (especially in Anderson, Indiana.

I think this is the most interesting and also the saddest thing that happened to Anderson, Indiana, which resulted in a lot of people loosing their jobs and Anderson turning into a slum town, that has taken several decades to even remotely recover from:'

"When these two photos were taken in 1973, 17,501 persons were employed by Delco-Remy in Anderson. This corresponds with the Delco-Remy published number of 17,431 that were employed at DR Anderson in 1965. It is hard to see in the photos but the parking lots are filled with mostly General Motors cars, trucks, and vans. (The painted van craze was going on at the time.) While it is our intent not to go into the reasons for the demise of DR and GM, I have always wondered if the powers that be at GM ever realized that it had a huge built-in market for its vehicles in the component divisions in Anderson, and Kokomo, IN; Dayton and Warren, OH; Flint and Saginaw, MI; Rochester and Lockport, NY along with several other locations. Employees in many cases were buying new GM cars every year if not every few years, creating a large market for its vehicles. When GM decided it no longer needed the component divisions throughout the Midwest, the former employees and potential future employees had no further GM loyalty, when making their vehicle purchases. Just one of many reasons GM went bankrupt in 2009."

I graduated High School in 1973 and lived through all this emotional trauma that was a devastating blow to Anderson with both of these divisions shut down.

Unfortunately, it seems, every Mayor since the 1970's has been hopeful the city would rebound with the Automobile industry. It has never happened. There are a number of automobile sales now, mostly along Scatterfield Road. But as far as manufacturing, Nestle moved in many years ago, which helped the city to rebound, and in the last 10 years, some new business have moved in which is beginning to revitilize the city.

For some reason, the past mayors in Anderson have never bought into the concept of Information Technology as a thriving opportunity. IT shops have all migrated to Carmel, Indiana along with the higher cost of life style. If that would have happened to Anderson instead .... well .... hind sight is always 20/20.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:35 PM   #8
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Usually internet trollers have their information a little more accurate than you seem to . Ever hear of Galpin Ford? 8000 vehicles out of ONE dealership. Dave Smith Motors, Chrysler Ram. 5500 out of ONE dealership.
And yes, Ford sells more trucks than your beloved Chevy. The truck plant in Detroit puts out 1500 F150’s per DAY.
Rochester fuel injection? Sure in my 375 HP 1964 Corvette. My next 1964 Corvette had 365 HP with 650 Holly dual pumper. Some of us go way back with Chevy.
I like em all, and I try to bash only owners with teenie trucks that try to convince us that theirs is a veritable towing beast! Kinda like the Honda owner towing a 28’ bullet and ‘it doesn’t even know it’s back there.’
Relax. I was only talking about my observation.
Around me GM rules and I'm just curious why.
As to truck sales here is Kelly Blue Book numbers.
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/gm-outs...rucks-in-2020/
Old 11-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #9
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What you're seeing is regional buying....factory right in town or thereabouts vs cross country and it's certainly not indicative of around the country.

In my neck of the woods in W TX there will be more Rams and Fords than GMs....but not many; pretty much an even mix based on owner "likes" I suppose. The "Big 3" used to have a lot of difference in their trucks and folks gravitated to them depending on what "truck abc" excelled at that they like
It's interesting. When we go down to Florida many Canadians, well not last year, pull with RAM trucks. Big majority.
RAM trucks are not built in Canada so I do wonder why.

I'm not trying to get in a fight here I just find it interesting.
Nissian trucks are built in Alabama and toyota is built in Texas. Does this effect purchase.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
It's interesting. When we go down to Florida many Canadians, well not last year, pull with RAM trucks. Big majority.
RAM trucks are not built in Canada so I do wonder why.

I'm not trying to get in a fight here I just find it interesting.
Nissian trucks are built in Alabama and toyota is built in Texas. Does this effect purchase.

The scenario of towing RVs when you get to Nissan and Toyota does affect purchase - the 2 brands have never gotten to where they need to be to be a "towing" truck. They know how to make a "tall" truck, "mean" looking truck etc. but they just haven't figured out HEAVY trucks and towing. Sort of like sitting in a 4Runner, Camry etc. and wondering why it was tailored for a 4' individual with the seat offset 15 degrees from the steering wheel.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:31 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Very little about GM.

One of the reason you see more GM branded trucks in the area of a large GM factory or dealership is because of the employee discount
I know someone in my small town that the father worked or works for GM and the daughter and her husband always had new GM vehicles,sports cars and work trucks…I was told they were able to use the dads discount and that is why they always had new vehicles every couple of years ..she even had a vette with the discount although I don’t believe that car is eligible anymore.
The discount is extended to almost everyone who is related to the employeee or former employee.
Harley Motorcycle did the same thing with its employees..their facility in PA had special parking closer to the building for employees that rode their heavily discounted bike to work….the parking lot had a lot of bikes as you would expect…a local newspaper did an article on it
Old 11-22-2021, 03:27 AM   #12
Skillet173

I just want GM to build my new 3500HD.... ��

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:19 AM   #13
BubbaShoots

This is an interesting discussion as I have always had some gasoline in my blood. I always notice pickups as I travel. I find it interesting that some geographic regions have more of one brand than another. For example, traveling through west Texas I saw mostly Ford and Ram; in northeast Arkansas (agriculture) the overwhelmingly majority of trucks were GM. In southeastern Missouri it was Ford, and in Florida it was regional again. I suspect it may be the strength of the dealer network in those areas. Or, it may be a generational connector to the strength of a regional dealer going back a generation or more, I.e., my daddy drove brand X or I grew up only driving brand x.
If Ford isn’t the dominant brand in a region, it usually a strong #2. However, I am seeing, and the data confirms, there are a lot more Ram trucks on the road than 10-20 years ago. I have never owned a Dodge/Ram but I am intrigued by what I hear and see. Oh, and the new GMC Sierra Denali has my attention, as well. Alas, it’s all internet window shopping as there is very little supply.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #14
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet173 View Post
Same here.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet173 View Post
I've owned 2 of them! The Duramax/Allison is tough to beat!
I'd buy one again!
But first I'd have to take a closer look at a Ram Mega Cab dually with the short bed. The Ram/FCA brand has came a long way in the past few years.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've owned 2 of them! The Duramax/Allison is tough to beat!
I'd buy one again!
But first I'd have to take a closer look at a Ram Mega Cab dually with the short bed. The Ram/FCA brand has came a long way in the past few years.
I really like my Ram, even the 12 inch vertical screen in the middle. However, the only reason I bought it was when I first got in to RVing in October of 2020, I had a GMC 1500.

I learned quickly that a half ton truck does not have the payload capacity of the size Cougar RVs that I like. So I started looking for GMC 2500, again this was in 10/2020. Even the GMC dealership I had bought from for over 15 years had nothing but 1500s.

Luckily the local Ram dealer had my current truck. Purchased it and it has pulled my current 5er and the TT I had prior like a charm. Love the Cummins. Even had the combination, current 5er and Ram, weighed at a CAT scale headed to a campground last month. Was about 200# over payload. Payload on my Ram is 2097#. Damn that Cummins is heavy.

So the point is, my GMC dealer contacted me and said they will order me a 3500 SRW. I do not want a dually. My Ram is paid in full, dealer offered 65k, so I ordered the GMC last week. Also, have read that the Duramax & Allison 10 speed are hard to beat.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #17
linux3

So I'm not slamming any brand I'm just curious as to why some brands sell in some areas.
Don't give me grief I'm just curious about truck brands.
Lets face it we all like trucks and expect them to do REAL work.
Just to put my thought in. I like 4 door double cabs. New Chevy LTZ trucks will only come as crew cabs. I don't have a crew, I don't have a Mega cab and I just like the back for storage.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

You could ask the same question about "high cholesterol vs diabetes" or about "college education vs blue collar workers" or about obesity or about gas fireplaces vs real wood burning fireplaces, or about why a neighborhood has million dollar homes and right around the corner, no home is worth more than $100K.

It's all about "random vantage points" and "what that person sees"...

I've heard people comment, "There are more Fords than GM's around here" and the response to that comment (from someone living next door) was, "No, I see more Chevy's than Fords"... So......

Just be thankful that we have a choice... Imagine living in Yugoslavia where the only choice was the YUGO !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
So I'm not slamming any brand I'm just curious as to why some brands sell in some areas.
Don't give me grief I'm just curious about truck brands.
Lets face it we all like trucks and expect them to do REAL work.
Just to put my thought in. I like 4 door double cabs. New Chevy LTZ trucks will only come as crew cabs. I don't have a crew, I don't have a Mega cab and I just like the back for storage.
I guess it's like asking why Pepsi outsells Coke in some areas or why some folks like plain M&Ms and others like peanut M&Ms.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #20
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You could ask the same question about "high cholesterol vs diabetes" or about "college education vs blue collar workers" or about obesity or about gas fireplaces vs real wood burning fireplaces, or about why a neighborhood has million dollar homes and right around the corner, no home is worth more than $100K.

It's all about "random vantage points" and "what that person sees"...

I've heard people comment, "There are more Fords than GM's around here" and the response to that comment (from someone living next door) was, "No, I see more Chevy's than Fords"... So......

Just be thankful that we have a choice... Imagine living in Yugoslavia where the only choice was the YUGO !!!!!

Just stay off the Mackinac Bridge with that Yugo..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote