Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
JDDilly

winter travel

My DW will be retiring the end of the year and we are looking at a 6 to 8 week trip in February, March and April. We are planning on staying near Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Colorado Springs. Any campground recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
travelin texans

OKC may be a bit cold those months with possible snow!
Colorado Springs WILL be cold & there WILL be snow!
Since you'll be retired I'd do Albuquerque & Phoenix the months you mentioned, wait til summer for Colorado Springs to miss the cold & do OKC in the fall to miss spring storms, that should put you in good weather for all.
I'm sure you're used to cold in MN, but just FYI RVs are not particularly suited for extreme weather either hot or cold.
Welcome! Enjoy the retirement & the rv experience!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
My DW will be retiring the end of the year and we are looking at a 6 to 8 week trip in February, March and April. We are planning on staying near Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Colorado Springs. Any campground recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Yeah... wrong time of the year for that plan. .
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've got some "fairly certain dates" in January/February and are planning to find a campground/resort with openings in the Albuquerque or Phoenix area, you might want to confirm reservations before you make any firm plans to tow to that area. Albuquerque can be "damned cold" in Jan/Feb and Phoenix, while warmer, can be crowded. While there are fewer snowbirds than in the past, there may be some difficulty in finding a site in a desirable facility. Then, Las Vegas in March can be crowded as well.

I'd suggest you firm up your plans and start looking for the type of RV site you prefer and then start trying to find a place to park your rig... Finding a "good site" may be more difficult than you think.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^I agree with the above; I would rethink the timing for the trip. I just keep seeing Dorothy saying "I'm not in Kansas anymore".......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^I agree with the above; I would rethink the timing for the trip. I just keep seeing Dorothy saying "I'm not in Kansas anymore".......
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
JDDilly

Thanks for all your responses, it gives us more to think about. We do have to be close to either Jacksonville or Phoenix during our travels. I have a checkup and chemo every 4 weeks, so in the middle of our trip, I will need treatment. This is not a game stopper, just adds more to plan, both in travel plans and with medical.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter