Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
Queen_n_her_goat

Stereo Branding

Looking to replace my Furrion Stereo. Anyone have any suggestions with what I should use? What you like or dislike?
Queen_n_her_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would measure the opening, decide what features you want and then go shopping at an electronics store.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:10 AM   #3
Queen_n_her_goat

I will modify the opening as needed. Judt looking for pros and cons of what's being used out there.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:39 AM   #4
RickV

I would just make sure that whatever you get is "Road Worthy". What I mean is Trailers and 5ers take a lot of abuse going down the wonderful highways here in the US, it is always interesting when we arrive at a new campground and discover what has been bounced around in cabinets and in the refrigerator.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:05 AM   #5
WNY Bullet

The one problem if you don't go with a RV style system, is that it most likely won't have the ability to select the separate speaker zones...
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:46 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Asking about opinions on RV stereo systems is like asking about your favorite color. For instance I can hear nuances in sound reproduction that my DW just can't hear. First off, why do you wish to replace it? If you want to increase sound quality I'd recommend starting at the other end. RV speakers are typically woefully inadequate past "making noise". Replacing the radio and leaving the cheap speakers often gwins minimal improvement.

If you are willing to modofy the opening then that opens up your choices, pun intended. If your handy with making wire connections then there are also possabilities to create your own "zones by utilizing off the shelf components, the sky, or budget is the limit.

What features are you seeking? How and who will be using it? I replaced our unit with Jensen head as it was easier for my technically challenged DW to operate. My second consideration was cost vs benefits. At home I have a nice 7.2 sound systems on 3 large televisions but I'm not willing to invest thousands of dollars in that for the limited usage and risk of theft in a trailer.

I apologize for the lengthy post but more infonis needed for a better answer unless it was your desire to just read comments. My suggesyion is to set down and write out just what you want to do. Record the results you are seeking and the budget you are willing to commit. Then I'd check out Crutchfield. They have an excellent website that explaines a lot of the measurements and ratings used to measure the performance of entertainment electronics. Their phone staffing is excellent in making recommendations as well. Good luck in your search.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:39 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

For the "way we use our trailer", the basic sound system is OK. Not great, but OK. We use the stereo to listen to a ball game or news through speakers either inside or outside the trailer, depending on what we're doing and the "close proximity of camping neighbors".

As for "high fidelity sound reproduction", most trailers don't allow for optimum speaker placement, the room acoustics are barely minimal for "studio performance" and the amount of time the system is used preclude investing a lot of money in a "part time, seasonal sound system"...

So, for most people, a "true audiophile sound system" is simply not an option.

What is an option is a reasonably priced system that performs the rudimentary functions of combining a audio and video DVD player that can be used "over the speakers and also connect to the TV for an occasional rainy day movie.

Like Marshall, if "true HD video and studio sound" are important, I've got thousands invested in a quality system at home with my recliner properly positioned both to view and to hear the optimal quality.... Sitting in a "trailer recliner" in a "trailer room" with "cheap overhead speakers in the wrong place" on a "32 inch HDTV" hung on the wall that prevents "direct, head on viewing"..... Well, why invest "thousands for the inability to use it to it's full capability" ????

I'd suggest making a list of what FUNCTIONS you want from the system (video and sound or just sound or just video) and then, whether you want to use it when boondocking or only when shore power is available, and with that and the "cabinet measurements" head to best buy or a similar store and see what's available. Once you find the "all in one system" or the "components to build what you want in your cabinet" then start shopping online for better prices.

But, installing a "quality audio/video system" in a trailer, you'll never get the full performance capability out of it with any "RV floorplan that works for a multipurpose use. Heck, just having someone in the galley banging pots and pans, having the air conditioner kick on or the furnace "droning away in the background" will take all the "enjoyment out of Beethoven's fifth" at just the wrong moment....

RV's just ain't built for a studio performance, why invest in much more than "a sound maker that plays on the TV" if you're going to be competing with all the "extra noise in an RV", can't turn it up without the neighbors complaining in the campground and can't even put your chair where the speakers are equally spaced....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
Queen_n_her_goat

I understand all involved with the purchase of new stereo equipment. I was simply asking for what units were being utilized in the camping world by the forum members and the pros and cons attached. I have my must haves and the list would be covered by nearly every manufacturer of the Chinese regime.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:13 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_n_her_goat View Post
I understand all involved with the purchase of new stereo equipment. I was simply asking for what units were being utilized in the camping world by the forum members and the pros and cons attached. I have my must haves and the list would be covered by nearly every manufacturer of the Chinese regime.

Thanks for the replies.
In that case from what I've read on this and other forums and what I've seen being used in trailers, I'd say that most people are using the OEM stereo, possibly an add on blueray DVD player and if any "upgrades are done" it's better overhead speakers or an add on sound bar.

Most people don't upgrade the actual audio unit unless it breaks, and then, they either buy a replacement that's similar or a later version (upgrade) of the OEM. It's easier that way to swap "plug and play items" rather than try to rewire a plug or try to find an adapter plug that works... With the "recent (last 4 or 5 years) improvement" to color coded wiring runs, some of that has been simplified, but reliability on what's the red wire in every trailer still has most people "nervous about ripping things out of the wall".... So, it's back to OEM for most upgrades.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #10
SummitPond

We have a Jensen JWM70A (link to manual). It plays CDs and DVDs (audio and video), has multiple speaker set capability, will take input from a subminiature jack or USB, comes with a remote and has an app that resides on your phone that works as a better remote than what comes with it.

Downsides: Too darn confusing (for me at least) to operate all the bells and whistles, and the display panel usually doesn't read out the proper information on an MP3 disk.

Regardless of those downsides, it's a decent enough unit for trailer use.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:24 AM   #11
Bob Landry

I kept an Outback for 10 years and never turned the stereo on. The Jensen TV in it was below minimum quality so we did not use that very much either.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:34 AM   #12
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I kept an Outback for 10 years and never turned the stereo on. The Jensen TV in it was below minimum quality so we did not use that very much either.
The TVs haven't got a much better, the picture is OK but, in today's day and age there is no excuse for them not being smart TVs. Have to use a streaming stick.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:40 AM   #13
Dallasrules

I like all of the iRV line. I have had several models in different rvs and have loved them all.

Funny story is I don't hear so well anymore and have a hard time hearing the TV. Recently I decided I needed a sound bar in the rv. I had a small one I was trying to hook up with an audio cord and just couldn't get it to work. I decided to plug the audio cord back into the front of the stereo and just play the TV through the rv speakers. No more need for a sound bar.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

As was asked/mentioned previously, WHAT are you trying to accomplish? Better sound? Better radio reception? More power from the receiver, more options? I've bought all kinds of audio/video equipment over the years but there is always a goal I'm shooting for. You said you have your list of "must haves"....what are they? Folks just trying to shoot blind answers to a wide open question doesn't help much it wouldn't seem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
Nitram987

Bose Radio

Our Keystone Bullet Crossfire has a Furrion, but the ceiling speakers were wired out of phase from the factory. I fixed that. Still, the ceiling speakers can't match up to the sound quality we get with a Bose Radio that we placed into the TT. The Bose is good enough, but I always miss my home sound system when on the road.
Nitram987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #16
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post
I like all of the iRV line. I have had several models in different rvs and have loved them all.

Funny story is I don't hear so well anymore and have a hard time hearing the TV. Recently I decided I needed a sound bar in the rv. I had a small one I was trying to hook up with an audio cord and just couldn't get it to work. I decided to plug the audio cord back into the front of the stereo and just play the TV through the rv speakers. No more need for a sound bar.
One of the few silver linings in the cloud of aging and connected hearing loss is that and expensive sound system does you no good.
Our iRV system contains CD, DVD and Bluetooth. AM and FM reception is horrible so we just b/t in from our cell phone with I-heart radio or Sirius XM. We also have an iRV sound bar that to me sounds pretty good and we run the TV sound through it all the time. No additional investment needed.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #17
TomTerrific

Jensen jwm92a in our Avalanche handles 3 speaker zones bluetooth HDMI and comes with ported speakers.
It's not Reference standard quality but it handles a lot of input/output issues for stereo and TV.
TomTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stereo