Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #21
RogerThat99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I will go a little direction:

1 get TPMS

2 Switch to 6v batteries

3 Add vent covers on each vent.

4 Change out mattress
Why 6 volt batteries? What is the benefit?

I need to replace my batteries, and have been hearing about going to 6v, but I don't know the benefit?
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:29 AM   #22
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
Why the 6 volt batteries. What is the benefit?

I need to replace my batteries, and have been hearing about going to 6v, but I don't know the benefit?
If you regularly boondock (no shore power) true deep-cycle 6V batteries last longer. True deep-cycle 12V batteries are rare, prohibitively expensive, and extra heavy. If, like me, you rarely spend a night outside a CG offering shore power, the upgrade isn't economical.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:01 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
Why the 6 volt batteries. What is the benefit?

The 6 vdc gc (GOLF CART) batteries have 1/2 the cells in the same "foot print" although the battery is a little taller. What that means is the plates inside are thicker and taller. What that means is that under heavy use (high amp discharge) the resulting heat won't warp those plates as readily. If a plare warps and touches the plate next to it then it shorts out and the battery id usless.

The thinker plates also hold more electrons (more ampacity) and can be discharged to a lower SOC (state of charge) without damage. For the cost they deliver the most "bang for the buck".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
If you regularly boondock (no shore power) true deep-cycle 6V batteries last longer. True deep-cycle 12V batteries are rare, prohibitively expensive, and extra heavy. If, like me, you rarely spend a night outside a CG offering shore power, the upgrade isn't economical.
Not sure FLA batteries are so "prohibitively expensive", I paid $150 each at Sam's Club for Duracell true deep cycle group 27 flooded lead acid batteries a couple years ago & bought 6 Duracell 6 volts for my golf cart for $89 per.
Now if you're referring to a lithium battery they "ridiculously expensive" at nearly a $1000 per battery & even AGMs are $200-300+ per battery.
IMHO if you regularly boondock 2 to 4 - 6 volt batteries wired correctly would be the best least expensive option, but if always parked using shore power a pair of group 27 FLA batteries should be more than sufficient. The 2 group 27s were good for us while fulltiming for 10 years & only replaced them once in that time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:31 PM   #25
LHaven

I'll have to remember Sam's Club. The only place I've ever found true deep-cycle 12V batteries was at Interstate, at a magic page you can't even get to from their main page, and they want nearly $300/pop.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #26
d0gb0ne

-King size bed rather than a queen
-more comfortable sleep bed in our hide a bed couch
d0gb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #27
LadyFaire

I now have a motor coach instead of a trailer, but I did this in both: I HATE the day/night shades because I tend to either take naps, or up most of the night and sleep days - those shades do NOT make it dark enough. Wearing a sleep mask when you have LONG hair is a pain in the posterior. So. I totally removed the shades, and using spring tension curtain rods (inside the valance, they work GREAT) I put in blackout curtains. Hemmed them to the proper length (over the dining table, they need to be shorter) and made tie-backs for times when I want the curtains open.

With the day/night shades:

Click image for larger version

Name:	coach 16.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	35364

With the new blackout curtains:

Name:	20210729_110612.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	35365

curtains closed:

Name:	20210729_111108.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	35366

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #28
adeakins

I would change …

… on my Montana 2018 3791RF:
• add electric motors to the trailer axles with large (Prius sized) lithium batteries so as to shift some of the towing burden from truck to trailer to assist with steep grades and standing starts.
• extend my Ford “BLISS” to encompass the trailer and to utilize the backing system that works on just about every other trailer save for 5th wheels. (Hear me, Ford?)
• widen exterior door to 36”.
• an awning that covers ALL of the exterior door and not just half.
• increase height on knee wall separating kitchen from living area. Also, stabilize knee wall
• use the same exterior hardware (and improve to marine grade) on the ODS as are on the DS.
• replace all hardware with marine grade and better fit. (Save me from all those useless little black screws).
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #29
adeakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
^^^ I'm with Chuck...

Everything you change on a trailer has "implications" somewhere else, often times, they're "hidden until it's too late"... Add "nicer wood cabinets" and increase the weight, often "top heavy weight" which changes the center of gravity (handling issues) and decreases the payload/cargo capacity... That doesn't matter to you? OK, increasing the weight puts the tires and suspension closer to the "rated max weight" and since the trailer is heavier, it takes more fuel to move it down the highway. Same with that thicker, more comfortable 14" mattress. If it's in a slide, can the mechanism handle the extra weight? If it's not in a slide, can you still sit up in bed without getting a headache from the overhead cabinet???

Most people, when they stop and look objectively at a travel trailer or fifth wheel, realize that it's a "remarkable feat" to put that many pieces together in a "box" and keep them together at 70 MPH, through a rainstorm or with sidewinds that are pushing the rig across a full lane of traffic. Then, add those potholes and the curbs that "show up out of nowhere" as you're turning into a gas station to refuel....

Trailer design takes a heck of a lot of "engineering, planning and even testing" to make sure what works on paper also works in the campground....

Are there things that can be improved? Sure..... But, changing a sofa for two recliners might mean the floor of the slide buckles when you hit that next pothole, or changing the windows so you have cross ventilation might mean the sidewalls can no longer support the frame and the next time you "crank up the rear stabilizers to stop the bouncing, the entry door no longer closes and the window buckles and the glass breaks into a thousand little pieces......

Think long and hard about "making changes" for nearly every change, something somewhere else is affected, and not always in a positive way.....
Change is progress and progress required change. If we fear change, we would still live in caves
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #30
KJJ

Hey Ken/Claudia!
1. We had the dealer upgrade our batteries to twin 6V before we took it, have worked great for long weekends!
2. Added TPMS after luckily finding a low tire and my cousin running one to shreds w/o noticing. Attach to the valve stems so easy upgrade, though pricey.
3. Haven't done, yet, but not fond of rain getting past standard vents.
4. Haven't changed out mattress as our queen tri-folds into a couch, but did add 2 inflatable high-end camping pads under the mattress that made it quite comfortable.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #31
KJJ

I would get a TT with a leakproof roof. I believe mine has never been sealed properly, even from the factory, and am now having to put up with delamination and fixing a spongy floor. 5 year old TT...
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #32
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
We just got back from just over a 2 week trip in our RV (2018 passport 2920bh). It was a great trip, but looking back i started reflecting about what I would change in my RV, without having to buy a new one. We love the RV abd the layout, but there are some things about it that I would change. Here are the top 5 things I would change ( in no particular order):

- Have a walkable roof with a ladder to access it
- Replace my 2 seater couch with 2 recliners
- Add a few more inches to the bathroom in at least 2 directions
- have a light switch on the wall to control the light in the bunk room and move the bathroom light switch to the door wall so you can turn it on.
- put cross breeze windows that open on the side of the slideout.

How about you. I am sure everyone loves the layout of their RV thats why you bought it but what are the top 5 things (or Less) would you change about it if you would make any changes at all?
You can definitely make some of your wish list changes. Just have to spend a little money. You can easily change out your couch for the recliner type. Depending on what brand and type you choose, that is a relatively easy switch. Just be mindful of weight. It can vary from just a couple pounds to several pounds. You may be able to move or add the light switches. Just have to study your system to figure out if it’s possible. If you have windows already on each end of your slide out, you might be able to switch them to what you want, but that’s very expensive. Can’t do anything about the roof or size of shower. You may already have a walkable roof, just no built on ladder.. Need to call keystone customer service with your VIN and they can tell you. Happy camping.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #33
Dallasrules

My pet peeve is no bedroom/bathroom separation. On our last 5th wheel, I added sliding door to separate. On our current trailer I just live with it because we have 1 1/2 baths and any guest using the bathroom doesn't have to use the one in the bedroom. However, the shower is about a foot from the bed. This trailer is about 95% perfect, but there are always trade offs. Fix the things you can change and live with the things you can't. Or find something that works better for you. I am still amazed that I have a 5th wheel with 2 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths and is within the towing capacity of my truck.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #34
BriBoy01

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJ View Post
Hey Ken/Claudia!
4. Haven't changed out mattress as our queen tri-folds into a couch, but did add 2 inflatable high-end camping pads under the mattress that made it quite comfortable.
Curious what camping pads you used?
BriBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #35
John&Genny

Actually, I don’t think there is much in our Avalanche that I feel we really wish were different. When we bought it, we went down a list of things we wrote down it must have, and this particular model checked off all the boxes. So I think we did a pretty good job of picking out our RV. However, there are a few things that we have noticed since 2017 that we would have preferred to be different, but are not game changers.

1. The MCD shades we got were terrible and the larger shades would never hold their tension. I figured out how to fix that problem, but for awhile they were a pain.

2. The wife would have preferred a regular high power hooded vent over the stove instead of the microwave vent. I understand some kitchen layouts now have that in some floorplans.

3. In 2017 when we are in a technological revolution we have an Atwood stove where you still have to get down on your knees to light the pilot light in the oven with a lighter. I mean, couldn’t one of their engineers figure out you could run a line from the piezo-electric starter down to the oven and light the pilot as well as the burners above?

4. Probably won’t get a Norcold RV fridge again, but will go with a good residential with inverter. We don’t do any boon-docking so having a propane fridge is not that important. Besides, most residential refers do a better job of keeping the food cold and frozen. I hate mushy ice cream

5. Although I’m not sure if the Quiet Air A/C system was an option when we bought ours, it would be nice to have a quieter AC system. It’s rather annoying on the need to turn up/down the volume on the TV based on wether or not the air conditioner is running.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #36
Cascadia

All I want for Christmas is a new kitchen sink!

We love our trailer but the kitchen sink....arrrgh! I hate it! It grows mold around the caulking no matter how I scrub it. I also really dislike that it's squared and not rounded. I clean it with a toothbrush and it always looks dirty. Has anybody replaced their kitchen sink??
Old 11-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #37
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia View Post
We love our trailer but the kitchen sink....arrrgh! I hate it! It grows mold around the caulking no matter how I scrub it. I also really dislike that it's squared and not rounded. I clean it with a toothbrush and it always looks dirty. Has anybody replaced their kitchen sink??
A picture would help!
Yes we have nice double bowl with one large bowl and one smaller. Moen from Lowe’s, don’t remember the model number.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #38
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
A picture would help!
Yes we have nice double bowl with one large bowl and one smaller. Moen from Lowe’s, don’t remember the model number.
https://images.app.goo.gl/A1My6BZfpdBLTFbc6

I'd prefer to have it be a drop in sink and not stainless steel...it measures 13.5 x 23.5 inches...an odd size for sure! That sink topper can go too!
Old 11-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia View Post
Go to Amazon.com, do a search for RV Kitchen Sink and you'll get hundreds of 18x24 inch sinks. Here's just three that might better fit your wishes:

https://www.amazon.com/Composite-Gra...70&sr=8-5&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Swanstone-KS0...0&sr=8-16&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/OUGOO-18inch-...0&sr=8-23&th=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #40
deer30084

I would change the tires to Goodyear Endurance tires.
deer30084 is offline   Reply With Quote