Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
YankeeClipper

Solar Panels

We purchased a 22 Springdale and are slowly getting ready for our first trip. I have scoured the internet, videos and waiting on return call from Rv Rep we purchased from. My question is it says my Rv is solar ready with an panel, and controller and prepped for inverter.

Does an additional battery need to be purchased to be attached to panels somehow or should it be charging the battery on the front outside end of the camper??

Thanks for any help.
YankeeClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

If your new trailer comes with a panel and controller installed by the factory, it should be wired to the battery on the tongue. Adding another battery will give you more battery reserve, and if you do install an inverter a second battery would allow longer time for the inverter to provide 110V to the circuit(s) powered by it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
YankeeClipper

Thanks so much!!! I thought so! Now my next question is if thats the case why would our battery be completely dead if panel is supplying power to it. No cloudy days till today and is in the middle of lot so I know gets plenty of sun.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Wires not hooked up, blown fuse in the positive line to the battery. It may be wired to the coach side of a battery disconnect, without seeing it and being able to test with a Volt/Ohm meter, I’m guessing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeClipper View Post
Thanks so much!!! I thought so! Now my next question is if thats the case why would our battery be completely dead if panel is supplying power to it. No cloudy days till today and is in the middle of lot so I know gets plenty of sun.

You stated your rig has a charge controller already installed, what does it say? It should tell you if its connected to a battery or not, also if and how its currently interacting with the battery.

The factory (or the dealer) may or may not have hooked up the panel/controller to the battery.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeClipper View Post
You may already know this, but just in case:

Don't forget that if you have a 100 watt solar panel going "into the battery" and are using 150 watts of power "from the battery", you won't be "charging the battery with the solar panel". So, along with making sure things are connected properly and working properly, also make sure you're not using more battery power than the solar system is putting into the battery...

Having a "solar charging system" doesn't mean that it's "always in the adding power mode".... If you're taking out more power out of your battery than the solar system is capable of putting into your battery, you won't be charging anything.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

To piggyback on John's comment, you also must calculate how many hrs a day it's actually charging and how much. A panel rated at 150 watts is in full DIRECT sun so if your on the equator or somewhere that has not only full exposure to the sun but also has a sun angle perpendicular to the solar panel then you MAY get that 150 watts. At least until the sun moves across the sky.

If the panel is charging say at a rate of 60 % for 3 hrs, then 20% for 4 hrs. then the math should tell you what the actual charge rate is. So if you Know your load on the battery and it's constant then multiply by 24 for the AH load. Or multiply by the number of hours the device is used. Subtract the amount being used from the amount going back in and iof the charge rate exceeds the load then you're good.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
To piggyback on John's comment, you also must calculate how many hrs a day it's actually charging and how much. A panel rated at 150 watts is in full DIRECT sun so if your on the equator or somewhere that has not only full exposure to the sun but also has a sun angle perpendicular to the solar panel then you MAY get that 150 watts. At least until the sun moves across the sky.

If the panel is charging say at a rate of 60 % for 3 hrs, then 20% for 4 hrs. then the math should tell you what the actual charge rate is. So if you Know your load on the battery and it's constant then multiply by 24 for the AH load. Or multiply by the number of hours the device is used. Subtract the amount being used from the amount going back in and iof the charge rate exceeds the load then you're good.

Along these lines... to take the guess work out of it. Your solar charge controller should give you exactly how many watts/amps are being pumped into the battery at any given time.

However the charge controller will not tell you how many watts/amps you are pulling out of the battery. You would have to do that math yourself
Old 10-27-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
YankeeClipper

Thanks to you all for your responses. Once I get back over to camper I will look into everything you have suggested.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

This is what appears to come on your new Springdale;

https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-200-overview
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #11
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is what appears to come on your new Springdale;

https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-200-overview

With this system it looks like you will need to download the APP in order to view the charging status. But the LED lights on the controller should indicate its connection status to the battery and panel.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #12
P&DZ

Roof mounted panels are very convenient. You don’t have to set them up at each camp site or tear down and store when not in use. The disadvantage is you cannot easily orient the panels for best sun exposure. Make sure the panels are getting good exposure each day.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar