Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
bobnelms

Drivers side rear 5th wheel tire keeps getting bald on INSIDE tread

Hi all,

I am having to replace the rear tire very often because of this unusual wear. It's almost as if the tire is misaligned, but how is this possible with a fixed axle.

Any ideas on why this ONE tire location keeps wearing unevenly and also any ideas on what to do about it?

Thanks
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
dadnjesse

Axles can be out of alignment. It could be bent or suspension components.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
Sarge2

Could be a number of different causes... year make and model of unit might help you find some similar issues using the search function...may have been covered in another post on the forum..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suspect it's a bent spindle, a warped hub or an overloaded axle side....

Most RV dealership service departments "specialize" on repairing what's on top of the frame and have little to no experience or capability to repair what's below the frame. Many (maybe most) RV dealerships "bid out the chassis repairs/alignments/wheel and tire work" to another business that specializes in that type of work...

Check in your local area and see if there is a "trailer repair facility" that specializes in repairing flatbed trailers, dump trailers, utility trailers and such. They are usually much better equipped to align trailer axles than an RV dealership would be. Typically, they're also much cheaper on repair charges.

You might start by calling an "18 wheeler trailer repair facility" and see if they do RV trailers or know who, in your area, does specialize in that type of work.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with John and think you should also think about a bent spindle in your situation. Also, look at those trailer specialty shops vs RV. Had a problem with a boat trailer with a 5k lb. boat sitting on it. Guy at the boat shop recommended a local trailer shop that primarily worked on semi trailers but also worked on RV and boat trailers. Wow, those guys were top notch; knew anything/everything about what I had, what to do....and had it in stock. If I had tried to have it repaired at the RV dealership the total cost at the trailer shop would not have paid the labor at the dealership. Look into that if you have it available.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

I had the same issue. Bent spindle, required axle replacement.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:21 AM   #7
bobnelms

Thankyou everyone for your comments. I have located a local suspension shop and will be taking the 5th wheel to them. You're right -- the local tire shops and even the RV dealer did not want to handle this. Thanks again all,
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel