Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2021, 06:59 AM   #41
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
On Oct 21st we lost our beloved little companion who loved the travels we took...

Losing her broke our hearts and I'll be dammed if anything stops us from doing what she loved so much. ...
We certainly identify with you on this one. We had 2 Dachshunds that were our entire world. One trip got altered because cancer caught up with one of them and about 6 week later, the second one got attacked by a bigger dog and killed instantly. We were beyond devastated.

We had both dogs cremated (Of course, not at the same time). When we got the remains back in an absolutely gorgeous hand carved box (they did a wonderful job), my wife sewed each box into one of those plush toys, Dachshunds, pulled the stuffings out and inserted the box, then sewed them back up. We cuddled with those plush toys for quite a while. They still ride in the camper and have not missed a single trip since they died. We no longer sleep with them, but they sit on a shelf overlooking our bed, constantly keeping an eye on us. Oh... how we miss them.

We did get 2 new Dachshunds at 8 weeks old. They are about 6 weeks apart in age too. They can never replace the 2 we loved so dearly. There will never, ever be any other dogs like those two we lost. But we have opened our hearts to love the new ones with everything we can.

So, our previous doggies are still, and always will be with us. We have explicit instructions with our kids, when my wife and I die, our ashes are to be put together in one urn and the two dogs ashes added. What the kids do with those ashes after that.... we really don't care.

Here's a photo of the two new ones (over a year ago), when they were just 8 and 12 (ish) weeks old, in the camper.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:19 AM   #42
LadyFaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
We certainly identify with you on this one. We had 2 Dachshunds that were our entire world. One trip got altered because cancer caught up with one of them and about 6 week later, the second one got attacked by a bigger dog and killed instantly. We were beyond devastated.

We had both dogs cremated (Of course, not at the same time). When we got the remains back in an absolutely gorgeous hand carved box (they did a wonderful job), my wife sewed each box into one of those plush toys, Dachshunds, pulled the stuffings out and inserted the box, then sewed them back up. We cuddled with those plush toys for quite a while. They still ride in the camper and have not missed a single trip since they died. We no longer sleep with them, but they sit on a shelf overlooking our bed, constantly keeping an eye on us. Oh... how we miss them.

We did get 2 new Dachshunds at 8 weeks old. They are about 6 weeks apart in age too. They can never replace the 2 we loved so dearly. There will never, ever be any other dogs like those two we lost. But we have opened our hearts to love the new ones with everything we can.

So, our previous doggies are still, and always will be with us. We have explicit instructions with our kids, when my wife and I die, our ashes are to be put together in one urn and the two dogs ashes added. What the kids do with those ashes after that.... we really don't care.

Here's a photo of the two new ones (over a year ago), when they were just 8 and 12 (ish) weeks old, in the camper.

Losing your 4 footed children IS devastating. They give you EVERYTHING they have and ask not much in return. I lost my service dog (Miniature Poodle - asthma alert dog) in May of last year and still cry over missing him. We recently got another male Poodle - toy size this time - and he is already enjoying the RV trips along with the 2 female Poodles - one miniature, one toy. Our older female, the miniature, is declining, unfortunately. We try to 'stagger' our pups in age so that if we do lose one, the others have support from the other canine family members. Even with a pup (2 years old) we still almost lost the older female when my little guy died. She didn't eat for a week and hid in a corner for a month. The pup wouldn't allow her to go, though and she finally snapped back. It was close, though. They can grieve themselves to death, you know.

Have you discovered Rainbow Bridge Pet Memorials (https://rainbowbridgepetmemorials.com/)? We get a stone for each of our 'babies' and have a growing 'rock garden' out back. They do an excellent job. We put the crematory container in a small hole in the ground, and place their stones on top. That way, when we move, they can come with us. The rock garden gives a place to go 'visit' with them, the same you'd do in a regular cemetery for humans. No, not a plug for the business, just something we found and use.

Personally, I cannot imagine a home - either stationary or mobile, without 4 footed children. Ours go everywhere with us.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:40 AM   #43
Skillet173

The ONLY thing that will kill my plans is the lack of my new truck to pull my new trailer. Come on GM, build my truck!

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:01 AM   #44
LHdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
On Oct 21st we lost our beloved little companion who loved the travels we took, sitting high on the center console/arm rest next to me and DW as we drove. She stole the hearts of all those she met. She loved the camper and loved traveling. I've never known a dog quite like her. Doubt I ever will.

Losing her broke our hearts and I'll be dammed if anything stops us from doing what she loved so much. Come hell or high fuel prices we leave for northern Georgia in a week for the holiday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
Losing your 4 footed children IS devastating. They give you EVERYTHING they have and ask not much in return. I lost my service dog (Miniature Poodle - asthma alert dog) in May of last year and still cry over missing him. We recently got another male Poodle - toy size this time - and he is already enjoying the RV trips along with the 2 female Poodles - one miniature, one toy. Our older female, the miniature, is declining, unfortunately. We try to 'stagger' our pups in age so that if we do lose one, the others have support from the other canine family members. Even with a pup (2 years old) we still almost lost the older female when my little guy died. She didn't eat for a week and hid in a corner for a month. The pup wouldn't allow her to go, though and she finally snapped back. It was close, though. They can grieve themselves to death, you know.

Have you discovered Rainbow Bridge Pet Memorials (https://rainbowbridgepetmemorials.com/)? We get a stone for each of our 'babies' and have a growing 'rock garden' out back. They do an excellent job. We put the crematory container in a small hole in the ground, and place their stones on top. That way, when we move, they can come with us. The rock garden gives a place to go 'visit' with them, the same you'd do in a regular cemetery for humans. No, not a plug for the business, just something we found and use.

Personally, I cannot imagine a home - either stationary or mobile, without 4 footed children. Ours go everywhere with us.
Bill-2020, dutchmensport, LadyFaire So sorry about your lost...There's no one on this planet more devoted than these four-legged little angels, there is almost no one who will love us more than they do. The best thing to do after they're gone is to keep doing what they loved so much while they were here.
LHdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:41 AM   #45
wegone

Well we took the car, glad we did, as the weather really hit the west coast when we were returning.

Kids and grandkids were great, had a wonder 7 weeks in southern California. My daughter put me to work, mostly.

Built a dog kennel as their two big dogs were just ruining their beautiful backyard.
I built a stairway up the slope in the backyard which has a wonderful view of the valley from that elevation.
They are having a concrete pad poured up their today.

It had been 40+ years since I had driven up the coast, like everything else, so much has changed.
It took me 3 days of 12 hour driving days to get home.
Lots of rain until I hit Humbolt, then snow right down to sea level.

Stayed the first night by the San Fransico Airport.
Drove through on 101 Golden Gate Bridge, crazy, million-dollar homes, no yard, built like townhomes, a garage with a house above it, and homeless people everywhere...weird and sad,

I drove in from Coos Bay, Oregon on the last day, going over the Astoria bridge, made a right turn off the bridge and never saw asphalt after that.
Crazy how fast people drive on lousy road surfaces.
Made it home in blizzard like condition, but I knew the roads well, that helps a lot.

Gas was anywhere from 2.18 in Oregon to 5.27 in California..... go figger.

Oh the kids bought a Flagstaff pop-up, a BIG one, opens to 25 feet, has a bath/toilet) kinda

I helped them get it all set up and gave him driving lessons over a couple days.
Then we set it up at a campground one night, we all left them to sleep in it.
The raccoons had a feast on the food they left out...greenies

We even booked another week at West Yellowstone for June, we are in full hook up, but they will be close by. Looking forward to that.
I think we already have about 5 trips planned, and another couple that my wife has been friends with since high school, they bought a used Springdale and Ford F-150 eco boost, we have booked a week side by side up in the Cascades.

Going to try and get some fishing and crabbing in though, this summer, kinda hard to do that when we are trailering

The grandkids are getting to that age where Pops needs to take them out on the boat.
I want them to remember me long after I am gone

Happy Trailering all....
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:05 AM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Glad to hear you had a great trip! Sounds like a ton of fun.

With the kids being "greenies" and the raccoons having a feast with left out food and plans now for Yellowstone.....

There are things much larger than raccoons in/around Yellowstone that get drawn in by open (or even sealed in a cooler) food. We were tent camping many years ago right outside Yellowstone. Some folks about 2 sites away left their ice chest out with food in it. In the middle of the night a grizzly decided he wanted what they had and proceeded to shred a metal Coleman ice chest...literally. All kinds of chaos ensued. We kept our stuff in an ice chest inside a locked vehicle and had no problems. So, be sure that they are aware of all methods of securing food to prevent something like that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #47
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Glad to hear you had a great trip! Sounds like a ton of fun.

With the kids being "greenies" and the raccoons having a feast with left out food and plans now for Yellowstone.....

There are things much larger than raccoons in/around Yellowstone that get drawn in by open (or even sealed in a cooler) food. We were tent camping many years ago right outside Yellowstone. Some folks about 2 sites away left their ice chest out with food in it. In the middle of the night a grizzly decided he wanted what they had and proceeded to shred a metal Coleman ice chest...literally. All kinds of chaos ensued. We kept our stuff in an ice chest inside a locked vehicle and had no problems. So, be sure that they are aware of all methods of securing food to prevent something like that.
Oh yeah, it was about 60 years ago we went tent camping inside the park, bears everywhere. As a little kid I was scared as they came up to our car.
I think I have blanked out pretty much everything else from that trip.

Last year we did not see a bear throughout the weeks stay, and we visited different areas of the park each day.
Lots of elk and way TOO MANY bison who just block the road like its theirs!

But of course, we take precautions and take the advice of rangers.

We stay at the KOA Westgate, about 6 miles I think from the park. I can recommend it. Its tight, but the facilities are top rate.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led