Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Herkbubba

Question Issue with electrical - Sprinter 311 BHS

Hello all -

New user... 1st post.

I just bought a 2008 Sprinter 311 BHS. When I had it hooked up to bring it home, the internal lights worked while plugged into my truck (I know this for sure because, among other lights, the white light that you can turn on to shine on the hitch worked just fine)...

Tow vehicle is a Ram 2500 diesel.

Brought RV home, had the electrical connector connected to the truck. Did not hook up to shore power.

In driveway, turned truck off... RV still connected to truck.

Went into trailer, turned on light (it came on) and the hit the switch to extend the slide outs.

Slide outs started to extend... went about halfway - and then stopped... everything went dark.

Turned on truck - outside lights of RV came on.

Went back into RV to extend slides... hit the switch: nothing.

Plugged into shore power. Interior light came on - extended slides no problem.

Figured the battery died on me. So - left RV plugged into show power all day. Came home from work about 5pm... unplugged shore power - tried turning on a light: nothing.

I do not have a battery disconnect.

No circuit breakers tripped.

No fuses blown.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't the RV operate off battery power for certain things? If I plug the RV into my truck, shouldn't other things work (like the white "hitch" light I mentioned earlier?)

Granted I'm a new owner - but I have used RV's in the past... I'm thinking this is a simple solution and if I made a mistake it's so obvious I can't even see it. And yes - I'm pretty sure I did something to induce this problem...

Would appreciate any/all assistance.

Much obliged,
Herk
Herkbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Terrydactile

You may have a bad/dead battery. You can have it load tested at an auto parts store.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
camper 2010

Sounds like you have the same problem that another member had just a few days ago. Search for the post "No 12V power to trailer" The same breaker is bad on your trailer. This should cost less than $10.00 at any RV Store. This is easy to change, just replace with same size amps.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Herkbubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper 2010 View Post
Sounds like you have the same problem that another member had just a few days ago. Search for the post "No 12V power to trailer" The same breaker is bad on your trailer. This should cost less than $10.00 at any RV Store. This is easy to change, just replace with same size amps.
Thanks.. I'll hop on over to that thread!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Herkbubba

Nevermind... mystery solved.

Battery was dead - and when I looked at the connectors, noticed there was some electrical tap (???) blocking the wingnut. Removed electrical tape - plugged in trickle charger... presto! Everything works...

Should have done some more troubleshooting, I suppose... But I learned a few things!

Tags
311, battery, bhs, electrical problem