Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #21
cvgkid

Wheel Chock

So after spending a good bit of the weekend unscrewing bolts on the bottom of the SRX, I finally ended up installing toggle bolts to keep my WheelDock Motorcycle chock in place. I needed the Chock to be in the narrow space between the side garage door and the door by the dinette. After unscrewing the bottom membrane and some of the fiberglass I found what appeard to be insulation, so running bolts through the floor was becoming more of a challenge than I wanted.

I ended up buying some toggle bolts which seem to be working OK. Not exactly what I was planning but we'll see if it works out.

We spent most of the weekend loading all our stuff in and getting things cleaned up. We're now ready for some serious camping while taking the bike along for fun.
cvgkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #22
dave-g

glad it worked out for you. One more thing- I see you are putting a Harley in the back- be very careful with site selection. The cougar 325srx has a high ramp to start with- If the truck is facing up hill, when you level out, the rear of the trailer can be 2-3' higher! I find it interesting to get a 250 lb dirt bike out of the back with a very steep ramp backwards- I could not imagine trying to get a 1000+ lb Harley out.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #23
cvgkid

Wheel Chock part 2

So first of all, I ordered a larger toggle bolt system from Grainger. The biggest one I could find at Lowes was a 1/4" bolt...that just didn't seem big enough so I ordered a nice big 1/2" bolt system today.

Yes, the ramp is a bit intimidating. In order to figure out the position of the chock, I had to go up/down a few times. Our drive way is on an incline so I pulled the trailer out on level ground before giving it a try. I was worried about the fairing on the front of the bike, but as it turned out, I was able to pull the chock back several inches and more to center, which helped on the second round. I also bottomed out the bike on transition from ramp to garage on the first run so I extended the legs on the bottom part of the ramp to make the bottom part a bit steeper and the top part more level. That took care of the problem. I also backed out with the motor off in 1st gear so I could use the front brake and clutch for a nice easy exit. I've pulled out of my previous toy hauler with just the brake and ended up sliding down...and that wasn't as steep.

I'll take a picture once I get everything installed the way I want it.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
LittleJoe

If you unhook from truck and raise the front end (I go 11"from starting point on extension of jacks) the ramp supports will need to be all the way in and the breakover angle will be good and the ramp angle will be good also.

Make sure you keep 80psi in tires as the rear axle on bike side WILL be over 2500lb by more than you might think. My BMW is over the max 800lb cargo wieght without any accessories or baggage on bike AND anything else in cargo area. That being said, I have traveled several thousand miles without issue, but try not to exceed 65mph.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
cvgkid

Bike Loading

Thanks for the tips. I guess as long as the wheels are chocked really well and the landing gear is down in the back raising the front of the trailer should help a lot with the ramp angle.

I didn't think about the additional load on the right side of the trailer since I can't load the bike in the middle. I will definitely check the tires.

I thought the stated rated of the garage was 1,000 lbs? You mentioned 800lbs - I think my bike alone is 850lbs. Are you sure about that limit? I expect to be pretty close to 1,000 lbs when everything is loaded.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
smiller

The label in the garage of my 325SX says maximum load is 1,000 lbs.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
coastrider

Soon to pick up toyhauler. Ramp door locks?

I have just recently found this forum and am about to pick up my newly purchased 325SRX. There are a lot of great recommendations and am getting pretty antsy about picking it up when it's delivered from the factory. The wife and I have only had one opportunity to walk through a demo and really liked what we saw. One thing that glaringly stood out was that the ramp door latches didn't have any kind of locking mechanism. Is that the norm? If so, I know I could drill for a couple of padlocks, but thought this would be something Keystone could have rectified with little or no effort. Any thoughts? Thanks.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
tightline

locks

The holes for the locks are in the top of the bracket the lever hooks behind hard to see. nice camper
tightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightline View Post
The holes for the locks are in the top of the bracket the lever hooks behind hard to see. nice camper
Thats nice to know! Just posted our intro stating we've just ordered a new 325srx, and that was something my wife and I were wondering about.
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #30
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
I have just recently found this forum and am about to pick up my newly purchased 325SRX. There are a lot of great recommendations and am getting pretty antsy about picking it up when it's delivered from the factory. The wife and I have only had one opportunity to walk through a demo and really liked what we saw. One thing that glaringly stood out was that the ramp door latches didn't have any kind of locking mechanism. Is that the norm? If so, I know I could drill for a couple of padlocks, but thought this would be something Keystone could have rectified with little or no effort. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I do not know if this is your 1st rv, but before you pay for the unit- and accept it at yours, do a top to bottom pre delivery inspection. Run and work EVERYTHING- get it fixed before you leave.

Having said that- I think the 325srx is one of the best value toy haulers out there. Just started the 2013 camping season. 23 degrees sat night- and we all stayed toasty warm. Enjoy you new camper.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #31
coastrider

Tightline/dave-g...thanks for the reply about the lock on the ramp door and inspection. Wife & I only had about 1/2 hour for the walk through the demo. This will be my second camper (will be my first 5er) and I learned hard lessons from the purchase of my first travel trailer. Live in Florida and bought the Coachmen Adrenaline Blast from South Carolina. In a hurry and left with a couple of issues as it turns out. This time, the dealer is 3 miles from my house, the owner goes to my church, and I plan to do a whole lot more crawling around and looking for those gremlins. Thanks for the advise.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #32
smiller

As has been mentioned there are holes for locks in the latches, they are just a little hard to see. I don't usually bother to lock mine though, we're normally in campgrounds and I just can't imagine someone coming along and deciding to open the loading door. And in an isolated area if someone wanted to break in they could do it pretty easily whether there was a lock back there or not, there are about 100 easy ways into most RVs.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #33
cvgkid

Garage

Sending a few pictures of modificaitons to the garage area. 1st of all, I used a 1/2" toggle to mount my Wheel Dock chock using the 1/2" bolts provided by the manufacturer. I'm also including pictures of the etrack system in my 325srx. Lastly, a mod we put in the garage is a wire drawer system. Lightweight and only took drilling two screws into the sidewall to keep it from tipping over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2571  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #34
jgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Just wondering how happy others are with their SRX, we are having a ball! We purchased ours in Fall of 2010 (2011 model), and have continued to be amazed at how this model has held it's value (we paid like $33.5K) and love being able to carry our golf cart and have the garage space while at destination! Getting ready to add an extra aircon unit in the bedroom, was a challenge at Myrtle this year keeping it cool, however other than that and the cabinets next to the bed popping staples, just can't find anything to really complain about! Highly recommend this small toyhauler for those that do not want to deal with triple axle 40' models, it's 'just enough'. Finally, anyone else going to Bristol ???? We will be there!
Could you tell me what golf cart you have? Mines doesen't fit and I cant seem to find one that will. Thank you
jgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
Lms

Wheel dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvgkid View Post
Sending a few pictures of modificaitons to the garage area. 1st of all, I used a 1/2" toggle to mount my Wheel Dock chock using the 1/2" bolts provided by the manufacturer. I'm also including pictures of the etrack system in my 325srx. Lastly, a mod we put in the garage is a wire drawer system. Lightweight and only took drilling two screws into the sidewall to keep it from tipping over.
My husband is interested in having this wheel dock installed. How long did it take to install it your self? Also is it easily removed if not in use?
Lms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #36
cvgkid

Wheel Dock Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lms View Post
My husband is interested in having this wheel dock installed. How long did it take to install it your self? Also is it easily removed if not in use?
Well, total elapsed time was a few weeks - that's because it took me a while to figure out what to do. I tried going underneath the garage to drill through the floor but abandoned that idea after finding finding lots of insulation under the floor. So, option B was using the 1/2" toggle. I wanted to use the 1/2" bolts that came with the wheel dock but couldn't find anything bigger than a 1/4" toggle at places like Lowes. Had to order through Grainger. Once I got the toggle and a drill bit big enough to handle the toggle it was just a matter of deciding where to install the wheel dock and drilling through the plywood floor. It is very easy to take the wheel dock out by just loosening the bolts using the allen wrench that comes with the wheel dock. I just missed one of the aluminum joists, so be careful when you start drilling.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #37
jje1960

Golf cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilbert View Post
Could you tell me what golf cart you have? Mines doesen't fit and I cant seem to find one that will. Thank you
Hey. Our current cart is a very old EZGO. It's tight, however poking the front of the cart in the open area between the doors is how we have ours, it's in there right now as a matter of fact. I'll take a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0090sm.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	3821  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #38
dave-g

Just got back from a 9 day trip. No motorcycles in the back- but my family can surely fill the garage up.

We had a futon bed in the back for my son. along with surf boards- beach chairs and coolers for camping at Assateague island MD. Dry camping in 90+ degrees - the garage was the best room in the house with the door down and the full screen in place.

The 325srx has meet all my needs-
1. Toy hauler for racing motor cycles.
2. Classy rv for those really nice rv parks- with the family.
3. Now beach house- dry camping for 4 days at the beach.
4. Furniture hauler for bring kids back to collage.

All for these different uses mean it gets used more.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
jje1960

Full screen

Cool! Where did you buy the full screen? Can you post pic please.

Jim
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #40
dave-g

I'll have to get a pic but

this is similar to what I used-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R4EPDM

It just mounts with a few screws- and i centered the opening and cut off the extra. It has a magnet closure and weights on the bottom.

Meets 99% of what I want for 10% of wants cw want for one
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r