Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
azlee56

A weekend trip to Tombstone AZ

We leave after work for a couple of days out of the grind of life. The BF decided we would go to Tombstone, which I love. I told him I get to walk down the board walk bowlegged. HA I go there a couple times a year, but it is the first time with an RV. We will park at the end of the main street and be able to walk about. FUN

30 amp service, so only one AC with stuff on propane, but that good. My dog told us that we need to take her camping! lol (she did honest!)
Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Movin' on

Have a great weekend ! It's been years since I've been to Tombstone and I've wondered if they still have the board sidewalks......I'll never forget the sound and feeling of walking on them.

Take some pictures for us to see.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
closesquarters

We did Tombstone this January. We were not camping, but we did discover, by accident, and toured through the RV park I think you are talking about. If I remember correctly, it is on the west side of where all the tourist action is. Great location for quick walking distance to the attractions of Tombstone. The town does a great job making visitors feel welcome. The actors who do the re-enactment at the OK Corral seem to love being "in character." After the initial show, they mosey up and down the boardwalk store-fronts acknowledging the tourists. Not sure how many fudge shops are in Tombstone, but we had some of the best (ridiculously creamy) fudge in our lives at little shop on the south side of the main drag toward the eastern edge. Just tried looking up the fudge place... looks like it was "Grandmas Frontier Fudge Factory."

2012 Keystone Montana 3582RL
2011 Duramax 3500 short box
closesquarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
azlee56

Yeah, that is the park and we are sitting in it right now. Question for those that stay in rv parks, if you are in space 9, do you park on the left side or the right side of the hookups?

The boardwalks are still here and we went walking down it last night and went to listen to a live country band. Except for one drunk, it was fun.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Stampede RV Park in Tombstone

Stampede RV Park is right on the end of main street, 2 minute walk to boardwalk. Went there in January and stayed extra days because of proximity right in historic district, lots of fun. Every morning we would wake to stage coaches clopping by heading to work.

Be sure to try their daily breakfasts in the small cafe behind the check in office. Very eclectic and just neat. Fair prices, home cooked style meals and great conversation with the owners.

PS...even if you stay at another place, worth the 5 minute walk from anywhere in Tombstone to eat breakfast.

Note to the "fudge lover".... is there any tourist place in America that does not have at least one "special" fudge shop?

Even TOUGH BIKERS in Daytona eat fudge...kind of funny when you think about it. Beer in one hand, fudge in the other...America, America, only in America.....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
closesquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Note to the "fudge lover".... is there any tourist place in America that does not have at least one "special" fudge shop?
You are correct about every tourist location having a "fudge" shop. The problem with fudge shops at every tourist location is in that fudge is so darn tasty. So tasty in fact that we find ourselves wandering into nearly any fudge shop we pass by.

Having no "formal" fudge training... we have developed a very basic system for judging fudge. All worldly fudge can be divided into two basic categories. There is: "sugary" fudge, and "creamy" fudge. "Sugary" fudge is considered undesirable. It is not much more than a glorified candy bar, obviously cheaply made to make a quick buck off the average tourist. "Creamy" fudge, on the other hand, is God's gift to planet earth... a mouthful of creamy goodness that will provide the taster with endless delight until the inevitable "swallow" must occur.

We plan on continuing this important scientific fudge study for many years to come. It is a grueling task... but somebody has to do it.

By the way... I'm convinced now that the best thing that ever came out of the OK Corral shooting was unbelievably fantastic fudge many years later at al little shop in Tombstone, AZ

Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
azlee56

stopping by the shop today for fudge for mom. It is a surprise for her. I have managed in the years to bypass that shop, but not today.

BTW, I am going to post a review about wellsfargo rv park because online there is a horrible review about them not liking pets. That is so far from the truth. They bent over backwards for me. Just don't let the dog on the grass, that is for tent campers. The owner and I were talking about that review and he was so upset by it, said the guy let the dog run all over the place, so he had lower the boom on him. He said the dog was getting into trash of the other rv'rs.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
closesquarters

Fudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
stopping by the shop today for fudge for mom. It is a surprise for her. I have managed in the years to bypass that shop, but not today.
We tried lots of samples when we were there. My wife settled on the Maple, and I went for simple standard chocolate fudge. I believe the woman working there who now lives in Tombstone... said she was originally from Georgia. She was very friendly and fun to talk to. Have fun!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Outbackmel

closesquarters fudge expertise

Keep up the good work and post results. Many millions of types to explore over a lifetime. Of course this could "shorten" your life considerably from diabetes But, what the hey... Steve Jobs; computer wizard; closesquarters; fudge taster extraordinaire...think of your legacy!

Here we are sitting in the beautiful north Georgia mountains after all this sticky discussion about deicious fudge, ssssoooooo, at lunch today we drive 30miles for BBQ and lemon fudge (to go).... this site will kill me through power of suggestion...

Gotta gooooo.......ummmmmmm good..
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
azlee56

I went to the fudge shop and they only had 6 pieces and that was all. So I didn't get mom any, but it also is their slow season.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

To the fudge lovers.....
Just a friendly reminder that this section of the forum is supposed to be about "Freeways & Byways" and for comments and questions from those who are seeking information about routes from A to B and the best way to get an RV from here to there.
Stopping along the way to indulge in fudge is great but let's not over-indulge and stay on topic.