Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
StanMT

Dust storm inside.

Third trip out with our new (used) Cougar 278, visited one of our favorite campsites which is about 40 miles back in on a gravel road. Got to the campsite and parked, went inside and discovered there must have been one heck of a dust-storm inside the camper on the way in. (First trip with any significant gravel road travel).

Apparently it was coming in from the bottom of the slide-out, both front and back. Dust covered literally everything in the camper, including everything in cabinets and drawers.

After a fun weekend, the DW stuffed a couple beach towels along where the slide-out meets the main camper body, front and back, after fully retracting the slide-out. Got home and checked to find there was virtually no dust inside the camper.

Could this have just been a fluke with the way the slide-out met the main walls when it was retracted prior to heading out? Or is this something that needs to be checked for alignment at our local dealers to ensure it does not happen again?

2008 Keystone Cougar 278RKS
2004 Silverado CCLB, 6.6L LLY Duramax
Located just outside Glacier National Park, Northwest Montana.
StanMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
rjsurfer

I have the basically the same camper as you the 245RKS, just a bit smaller and have never had an issue with the slider leaking water or dust.

Since the slider (at least mine does) hits the top of the side wall first I'm thinking that it wasn't closed all the way allowing the bottom seal not to be set right, maybe when you left or possibly it worked it's way out during the trip on that rough road?

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
hankaye

StanMT, Howdy;

Haven't experienced that problem, exactly, I just live in dusty
places and end up with dust covered 'everything' so I vacuum
alot...

Please let us know if you find a problem and what it is...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
StanMT

Thanks for the inputs folks. The DW retracted the slide before I got home from work, and I know she is a bit leary of the clutching action/sound when fully retracted. (As am I). I retracted it when we broke camp to head home, I normally wait for about 2-3 clicks of the clutch to indicate fully retracted, hoping I am doing that correctly.

On the way home, there was virtually no dust - not sure if adding the towels limited dust creeping in -- or if it was the way the slide was retracted. Will definitely be checking it on our next outing and will report back.

After the next outing, depending on the results I think an appointment to have the slide aligned may be in order.

Thanks again.

2008 Keystone Cougar 278RKS
2004 Silverado CCLB, 6.6L LLY Duramax
Located just outside Glacier National Park, Northwest Montana.
StanMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Dust

When we hit Tombstone, AZ and open plains going to Mesa, AZ and returning through Oklahoma true dust storms, YES, we had dust. Now, mind you, I am only talking what one might expect, nothing more or less. These RV's are not some sort of sealed rolling boxes. We NEVER had any water invade our space and we went through rains from HELL for hours on end in Oklahoma and Texas.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
azlee56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
When we hit Tombstone, AZ and open plains going to Mesa, AZ and returning through Oklahoma true dust storms, YES, we had dust. Now, mind you, I am only talking what one might expect, nothing more or less. These RV's are not some sort of sealed rolling boxes. We NEVER had any water invade our space and we went through rains from HELL for hours on end in Oklahoma and Texas.

Now if you said from Tombstone to Phoenix and hit Casa Grande with one of their dust storms!!

Joking aside, I am wondering what is up with their RV. Mine sits in Tucson in my back yard and I have to go dust it quite often. It isn't as sealed as my house, but pretty good.